Hey so Im trying to figure out my university guitar rig ill be taking mext year. I have a POD HD desktop already that ill be taking but ill be leaving my peavey halfstack at home.

The only thing i think im missing for the rig is a powrred PA speaker. Ill be using it alot so portability is a must. Ill mainly be running my POD but prolly acoustic guitars and vocals too.

Itll pretty much be the smaller alternative to my halftack. So it has to be loud, have an SS power amp and be fairly FRFR, portable and durable. Ideally i want to spend 500 CAD or less but if i need to stretch then i can prolly go up to around 800$.

Things ive been looking at:

Mackie hd1221
Qsc k10
Qsc k12

I am open to any opinions on this as i am not set on anything yet.
Quote by Seanthesheep
Hey so Im trying to figure out my university guitar rig ill be taking mext year. I have a POD HD desktop already that ill be taking but ill be leaving my peavey halfstack at home.

The only thing i think im missing for the rig is a powrred PA speaker. Ill be using it alot so portability is a must. Ill mainly be running my POD but prolly acoustic guitars and vocals too.

Itll pretty much be the smaller alternative to my halftack. So it has to be loud, have an SS power amp and be fairly FRFR, portable and durable. Ideally i want to spend 500 CAD or less but if i need to stretch then i can prolly go up to around 800$.

Things ive been looking at:

Mackie hd1221
Qsc k10
Qsc k12

I am open to any opinions on this as i am not set on anything yet.

wut?

Anyway, is this something you're taking so you can gig at college, or just for dorm room practice? Not sure why you need it to be loud... Usually the idea is to get something small and anti-loud for college. Personally I'd probably go with some kind of powered monitor like you'd use for recording. It should get plenty loud for dorm practice, is small enough to fit on a desk or stick under a bed when not in use, and will have a pretty flat response so the cab modelling in the POD won't sound screwy.

I'm not sure you'd even have room in the dorms for a full PA speaker rig.

EDIT: Just looked up that mackie, and that's a lot smaller than I was thinking. Probably the size of a medium suitcase. That would probably work quite well. being 1200W, it should handle just about anything you can throw at it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Nov 28, 2011,
that mackie looks impressive. i think that will suit yer needs pretty well. remember, if you need to be more 'quiet' in your dorm room for practice then headphones (isolation) or normal computer speakers (real low speaker sensitivity) will be more of your friend. looks like you gotta good setup figured out though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Also, that mackie only has an XLR input. You'll either need an adapter or run the POD into a mixer, then mixer out to the speaker.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Well im not gonna be in dorms, ill be in student housing. Plus i know all my roomates already and theyre musicans too. The point of bringing the pod and speaker is that when i need to i can practice with headphones, but at the same time if i play a show out by the university i dont need to run home a couple towns over to grab my half stack to bring it back for 1 use. And i already have the whisper quiet situations cOvered. So the speaker needs to be loud enough so that i can play in a loud band and have the headroom and volume needed for that when running guitars only or when its being used as a vocal monitor because thats something too my band needs for practicing. So its got a few uses but has to have an SS poweramp.

And id keep it in the house we will be renting for situations where i dont have to play through headphones and will want a speaker moving air, without being comPletly unreasonable with the. Volume.

Kinda vauge i know but its gonna have alot of different uses and not all will be for regular practice is my point

The mackie looks great yea, but the XLR thing kinda turns me off. And ive heard that there were a few bad batches of hd 1221s shipped out that were deffective.

Anybody wanna say anything about the qsc's? Ive prolly known about them the longest but ive never really be super convinced by them.....

Anything cheaper but still awesome?

Oh btw, FRFR means full range, flat response. As in it doesnt colour tone and provides you with a pretty big frequency range. Its something alot of poeple looks for when amplifying moddelers like 11r POD and axe fx so they can use poweramp and cab sims and not have to change settings all the time.
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Nov 28, 2011,
I just picked this up for my living room. It's a 150w compact and pretty tough PA. My PSA-1 solid state pre,iRig from my ipad, phrase trainer, drum machine and everything else from from my PC goes through it. It goes from whisper quiet, to keeping up with my cranked Blackstar 5 watt head. Goes for $150 us and can mount to a mic stand.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B205D.aspx