Page 1 of 4
My mom's in MD, I'm in MA. She's been talking about getting a new car for a while now, and I'll be able to use the current one. I try to talk her out of it because I'm never home and I'd rather be dead than own a car in Boston. So why waste all that money and have to pay more insurance? She's been wanting a Lexus or some other bullshit car for a while. I'd say if she does get a car, get a hybrid or something that doesn't need a lot of gas.

But then she told me yesterday that she got a new car........and it's an SUV. I just totally flipped out. It's just completely whack. She's just one goddamn person in the house, WHAT THE HELL DOES SHE NEED AN SUV FOR?! I got all pissed saying it's a complete waste of money and she's now gonna be burdened with a gas guzzler. But she's not taking me seriously and says "but it's a Toyota!!! it must be good!!" So goddamn stupid. I don't know much about cars but obviously she knows even less.

How can I explain to her with good reasons that she probably overpaid for a piece of shit car that's no good and should return it?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
She wants to be able to total her car and survive.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
She wants to be able to total her car and survive.

She gave me 2 reasons (other than "it's a Toyota")

1. It's safer. (but come on, is it really that much safer? goddamn)
2. It came with a free iPad 2, which she wants to give me.

Is that the most backward way to get a $500 thing or what? I don't need an iPad, I don't need a car, and I don't need her, almost retiring, to be facing $500-600+ a month for gas.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The Madcap
*tries to think of a joke involving counterpoint*

I got nothing.....

Please offer me 2-3 strong counterpoints to her shitty subject.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You got mad at your mom for buying a vehicle?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I thought asians were supposed to be smart?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by JayT44
You got mad at your mom for buying a vehicle?

Yes.........

Keep in mind I don't need one or want one, and I'm just being pissed in her best interest. She's making a terrible financial decision.

Quote by bradulator
I thought asians were supposed to be smart?

Not when it comes to cars. In more ways than one.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
*asian woman driving joke*

Hahahaha, amirite?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Xiaoxi
2. It came with a free iPad 2

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Like they'd let her return it anyways. The minute she drove it off the lot it lost a metric ****load of its value.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Shes an adult and can do what she wants?
Quote by celticstorm84
endless supply of cats = endless supply of food.

Quote by Calibos
I've also noticed that as i've got older, I want to be further and further away from the front at a gig. Damn kids with their mushy pits and walls of doom.
Your mom bought a car (using her own money), and she thought of the fact that she wants to give you an Ipad while she's buying it, and you got mad at her?

Also, modes and scales are great
Quote by rjdusa
Like they'd let her return it anyways. The minute she drove it off the lot it lost a metric ****load of its value.

Really? Is there's no return policy on cars?

Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck

NO

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Why wouldn't she get a badass sports car at least?

And why does that SUV come with an iPad?

SO MANY QUESTIONS
lol free iPad 2 with an SUV, you never hear that everyday
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by bradulator

Sports cars are stupid.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
If you want, you can give the Ipad to me. Just leave it in a package on a bench, somewhere in North Station.
Quote by celticstorm84
endless supply of cats = endless supply of food.

Quote by Calibos
I've also noticed that as i've got older, I want to be further and further away from the front at a gig. Damn kids with their mushy pits and walls of doom.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Your mom bought a car (using her own money), and she thought of the fact that she wants to give you an Ipad while she's buying it, and you got mad at her?

Also, modes and scales are great

1. Yes. I know on the surface it looks bad on me, but again, trying to do this in her best interest.
2. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28549841&postcount=3

Quote by bradulator

You must have a deathwish if you want a 60yo Asian woman driving in a sports car.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by JayT44
Sports cars are stupid.

GTFO Xiaoxi's mom
I can't be assed to find a source, but I'm pretty damn sure there is research out there that gives evidence to the idea that SUVs are in crashes more often because their drivers are over-confident.

Sure, you can be pissed, but she's an adult and it's her money. My grandpa went out and bought a $60,000 truck, a week before he passed away. His entire family told him not to, but there was nothing stopping the guy from buying that new shiny truck that caught his eye.

Best thing you could do is work out the math with a smaller car and show her how much money she'll save.

Quote by JayT44
Sports cars are stupid.

You couldn't be more wrong.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Nov 28, 2011,
As soon as a car leaves the lot BAM. Loses most of it's value. That's why they say buying a car is the worst investment ever, in respect to selling it in the future.
Quote by danny_unleashed
As soon as a car leaves the lot BAM. Loses most of it's value. That's why they say buying a new car is the worst investment ever, in respect to selling it in the future.

Fixed. Buying used isn't NEARLY as bad.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I can't be assed to find a source, but I'm pretty damn sure there is research out there that gives evidence to the idea that SUVs are in crashes more often because their drivers are over-confident.

Ooh good point. I'll look that up. And wouldn't it be more prone to things like scratches, dents, etc since it's bulkier?

ARE THERE REALLY NO RETURN POLICIES ON CARS?!

I remember like in 2000 my mom bought her first new car and drove home with it. We decided we didn't like it, and she was able to trade it for another one the next day...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd probably be a little bit pissed but I'm trying to cut back on my beer consumption.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Really? Is there's no return policy on cars?

Some dealers might guarantee the value for a little in case you want to return it but most don't.

Fun fact about the Prius: All the metals in the batteries get processed in China or Japan and then shipped to Canada where they make the batteries. Those are then shipped to Japan where they put the car together. Then those are shipped all over. When the battery is useless there is no place to dispose of it because of all the shit that's in it. And it costs the same as a good used car to get a new battery.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ooh good point. I'll look that up. And wouldn't it be more prone to things like scratches, dents, etc since it's bulkier?

In the same way that a fat person is more prone to bruises because there's more of them to bruise.

I believe there is not. Why would they give you the value you paid for the car when it is now worth about half that?
Quote by bradulator
GTFO Xiaoxi's mom

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I once had this to say about SUV's;

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck those things piss me off. They're fucking useless.

Buy a small car if you live in the city.

Buy a truck/4wd if you live in the country (and actually need one.)

Buy a van, ute or a station wagon if you live in the city and need the space.

Buy a mini bus/people mover if you have a million kids. (I'll still hate you for having a long, wide, tall piece of shit that you should need a bus licence to drive but at least I'll understand the necessity)

Do not buy a massive, wide, tall, half-arsed bullshit 4wd 'SUV' that you can't even drive through a pothole or a puddle under any circumstances, or I will try to ram you off the road, spit on your car, and be angry at you until I forget about you, or find the next idiot to rage at.

And don't buy a real 4wd if you live in the city, either. I'll hate you for that too, you wannabe redneck fuck.

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE
Quote by Xiaoxi

1. Yes and no. Some SUVs have steel guards that will protect their bodies from other vehicles, but overall, yes, they seem to be more vulnerable to the dings and scratches.

2. It depends, I know after my grandfathers death they worked out some kind of deal, but my grandma loss a large chunk of cash in the end. Definitely no "I drove it for a week and now I don't like it" returns.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck

Doesn't mean she's above copping criticism...that was a poor choice.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Dirge Humani
That's what you get for living in Boston.

Quote by Dirge Humani
That's what you get for living in Boston.

As soon as I saw your name, I knew you were going to say that. Stupid Joiseyan.

Quote by Butt Rayge
I once had this to say about SUV's;

I should put you on the phone with her.

Quote by izbbass

Fun fact about the Prius: All the metals in the batteries get processed in China or Japan and then shipped to Canada where they make the batteries. Those are then shipped to Japan where they put the car together. Then those are shipped all over. When the battery is useless there is no place to dispose of it because of all the shit that's in it. And it costs the same as a good used car to get a new battery.

Hmm, how often do you need to change a Prius battery? And are all hybrids like that? I dunno, I drove in a Prius zipcar once for 4 hours in Boston rush hour and the gas level only went down one notch. Pretty damn impressive.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by piratemetalhead
speaking of lexus , i took my dad's lexus out for the first time today. its... so nice x___x

What is it with Asians and Lexus?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
1. Yes. I know on the surface it looks bad on me, but again, trying to do this in her best interest.
2. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28549841&postcount=3

It's not that you look bad, but it's that she thinks she's doing something nice to you. Don't get mad, but explain why you don't need it in a calm manner. Then again, it's a gift dude. Just accept it and move on. From what I read she's 60, she knows her shit. All you can do is advise her against it, but you can't force her not to buy anything for you.

Also, holy ****ing shit. I'm trying that today.
Quote by Xiaoxi
What is it with Asians and Lexus?

Lesus is an anagram for us exL, which is pronounced "Us Excel". Asians are just trying to support the positive stereotype of being smarter and more successful than the rest of us. And also the negative stereotype of having bad english.
Page 1 of 4