Hey recording-dudes!

I'm a medium-experienced singer/songwriter/guitarplayer who needs a recording setup. I need to be able to record guitars an vocals. And to be honest with you, then i do not know anything at all about recording. I have a relatively strict budget, so try to make it cheap. But over all i want quality so it'll cost what it costs.

So what do i need to do so? Microphones, software, recording stations?`

What are your suggestions
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
What do you mean by "relatively strict budget"?

You'll need a microphone, headphones/monitors (probably headphones to keep the budget down) and a DAW.

For the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), you have a choice between a multitracker & an interface/PC/software combination.
Software is probably the cheaper way to get started, you should be able to get an interface reasonably cheaply and software like Reaper is free on a trial basis.
Multitrackers are often easier to get started with and have everything most people will need, but obviously you have to buy it first so may not fit your budget although they can be bought for a reasonable price on the used market.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
By a relatively strict budget i mean that i want it as cheap as possible. But again i don't want some cheap shit so i guess i'll just say "let's keep the price reasonable".

What about the LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1 / UX2? Heard that a lot of people love those? Are they really that good and what are the features?

And which mic would you recommend?
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Last edited by rasmusschulz at Nov 28, 2011,
If by singer/songwriter you mean primarily an acoustic player, the line6 might not be for you. They're all about amp modelling and FX so as an acoustic player you wouldn't have much of a need. Upon Checking your sig you play a strat and a tele so I guess it might suit you! :P I'm not sure what the mic pres on it are like though so someone else might give you a better idea of how it sounds for vocals.

For vocals your best bet is a large diaghphragm condenser microphone. The go-to mics in the low budget department seem to be the RODE NT-1 and the Studio Projects B1.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rode-microphones-nt1-a-condenser-mic-bundle

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STUB1

The RODE is a pretty good deal there actually. You'll need a pop shield anyway.

I'd recommend going down the DAW road, over a hardware multitracker. It gives you more flexibility from an editing and mixing perspective. Reaper costs like... 60$? Should you choose to pay for it. Well worth it.

Other than that, grab a Mic stand and a few mic leads (you'll want at least one spare),
set of headphones (and/or Monitors with as flat a response as you can get, avoid extra bass features) and... is that it?

Line6 UX2 199$
RODE NT1 229$
Reaper 60$ (Free?)
Mic Stand 20$
Mic Lead x2 24$
Phones 50$
Monitors 100$

Give or take around 700 bucks??
Yes. By singer songwriter i mean that i am primarily using my acoustic and therefore that is what matters the most.

But lets say i buy a microphone. How would i record that on my PC do i need some kind of extra gear for that? And should i also obtain a microphone for my acoustic guitar or could i just use the one i recorded the vocals with?
Quote by rasmusschulz
Yes. By singer songwriter i mean that i am primarily using my acoustic and therefore that is what matters the most.

But lets say i buy a microphone. How would i record that on my PC do i need some kind of extra gear for that? And should i also obtain a microphone for my acoustic guitar or could i just use the one i recorded the vocals with?

You'd need an interface to connect the mic to the PC. I believe the Line 6 mentioned would do this, but if you're primarily acoustic that probably isn't the best option. I'm not an expert with interfaces, but there are plenty of threads which discuss them and I'm sure someone will recommend other options here.

WIth the mic, the standard is the Shure SM57/58. Good all round mics, essentially the same but one is aimed at performance the other at recording (I can never remember which way around they go...). Either one of those would be a great purchase as they can both be used for just about anything you throw at them.

Aside from that, the list in Shmeegle's post pretty much tells you the whole story. So long as you get some decent headphones, the monitors are probably optional to start with, but you'll want to get some eventually.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
So the Shure SM57 would work good with both an electric (through an amp of course) and an acoustic?
In that price range you might as well go to the Focusrite Saffire 6...In the price range of it and everything below it is the only one that stands out from the competitions. Your Line 6 UX 2 and M-Audio Fast Track 2 and etc. are basically all inferior to the Saffire 6 (I have owned 4 interfaces in the price range). The Line 6 UX2 (I currently am using this temporarly until I can afford an 8 channel interface) can do acoustic for sure. I mean there is not noticable difference from the Lexicon and M-Audio interfaces I have used in the past. The mic will be more important than the pre-amps at this level of interfaces since they are all pretty similar.

I would personally go for a condensor for acoustic, and SM57 for electric if you want to mic an amp. Probably the 57 if you have to only get one.

I would like to point out the $100 for monitors is probably going to be for each monitor if you want to get something of quality.
A Condenser mic would suit Acoustic guitar and Vocals far better than an SM57 or 58. They CAN do it, but the results with a condenser will be much better! If where you live is noisy though, you could run into problems with the condenser. Condensers are much more sensitive and will pick up background noise more easily. If you've got a quiet spot to record, a condenser is your man.
So one condenser mic would work with both an acoustic guitar and vocals? Seems like a good idea since i would be able to get a better one instead of splitting the money into two mics?

And which condenser mic would you prefer? Can you get a reasonable condenser mic for around $180?

And which USB interfaces would you recommend for recording?
Last edited by rasmusschulz at Nov 28, 2011,
Yup! For best results you'd want to record vocals and guitar seperately, but you could just do a live take, just for jotting down ideas or whatever.

Regarding Interfaces I'm not too savvy, but that Focusrite Saffire 6 gets thrown around a lot.
The Mackie Onyx Blackjack (I think, I've seen something mackie mentioned), Tascam Us-600. You've got absolutely piles of interfaces to choose from.

The Real puzzle is going to be figuring out how to use your gear anyway. That said there are plenty of guides around, both here and elsewhere on the web that'll get you started. And the more you record/mix and the more you read about and apply what you've read the better you'll get.
Depending on your budget really is going to depend on the interface.

I believe in the price range of the Saffire6 is really only thing that stands out. Its better than the Line 6 UX2 and a the Lexicon and M-Audio interfaces near that range (which are all basically equal to each other in my experience).

As said above, learning how to use everything is a big issue. Look for guides. Audio Issues is where I learned a lot.
Ok, I assume by 'singer/songwriter' you mean mostly acoustic guitar.

You want to do good quality acoustic demos for a cheap as possible?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C1mUSB?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=C1mUSB&SID=1&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=C1mUSB

$54/£40, and you're all sorted. The quality is great - unless you're in a professional recording environment you'll be very happy with the sound.
If you can spare a little more, I'd recommend the Blue Yeti .

If you want to also do electric guitars, just get an adapter for the line in on your computer and use Amplitube Free.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I recorded all the vocals and guitars on this demo with a Samson C01U USB condenser (which is very similar to the cheaper Behringer I posted): http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/old-man-neil-young-kyle-may