-300 to 400 bucks

-I want a powerful and funky sound.

-Similar to Flea's bass tone.

Basically just want a great bass for an affordable price.
Well; what bass do you want?

Seriously, we need to know a few things. First, how many strings? Four? Five? Six? And what brands are available where you are? Are you willing to go used? Do you have a preference with respect to pickup arrangement? Precision? Jazz? A combination of the two? Humbuckers? Soapbars? Do you have a preference with respect to fretboard wood? Maple? Rosewood? I don't think you'll find an ebony fretboard at that price. And what about scale? If you're going for a fiver or a sixgun, do you want a 35" scale?

This will help us narrow it down.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Check out something from Ibanez, an SR300 would be pretty decent and at a fair price.
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; what bass do you want?

Seriously, we need to know a few things. First, how many strings? Four? Five? Six? And what brands are available where you are? Are you willing to go used? Do you have a preference with respect to pickup arrangement? Precision? Jazz? A combination of the two? Humbuckers? Soapbars? Do you have a preference with respect to fretboard wood? Maple? Rosewood? I don't think you'll find an ebony fretboard at that price. And what about scale? If you're going for a fiver or a sixgun, do you want a 35" scale?

This will help us narrow it down.

4 strings. Any brand is available, I'm going to purchase it online. Yes I'm willing to go used. No pickup preference. No preference of fretboard wood. Don't care about scale.
Used Musicman SUB or used Sterling Ray34
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Like consecutive e said a used Ray34 would be great for that funky Flea style of sound
Here's a Ray 34 for $450 shipped. Not a bad deal.

EDIT: Used Active SUB http:// for $450 as well, talk him into including shipping and get it, the only difference to a "real" Stingray from these is the finish and pickguard. Same factory, same electronics, same woods (well they only use Ash for SRs now but I'm pretty sure they used Poplar sometimes back when they made these), even made in the same factory.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 28, 2011,