Ive read someplace that sipping your hands in warm water to warm up can cause arithis and other illnessess... Is it true?
If you're sipping your hands in warm water then arthritis is the least of your worries buddy
Quote by Galfadez
If you're sipping your hands in warm water then arthritis is the least of your worries buddy

Elaborate please?
Quote by Standarduser
Ive read someplace that sipping your hands in warm water to warm up can cause arithis and other illnessess... Is it true?

I'm not a doctor, but.

I'd say that sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

I take a warm bath often, I always wash my hands in warm water, and I'm pretty sure that most of the people do it the same way. Do most of the people have arthritis? No.
Wrong place to ask this. You're only likely to get dubious answers from UG at best when it comes to such questions.
I know that dipping your hands in hot water when they are cold and visa versa can cause damage to your veins, not sure if that applies to warm water though.
just warm them up using other methods, breathing into them works well.

i would think that using water would be a bit counter productive, as soon as the cold air hits them they'll be worse than before.
Quote by rickyj
just warm them up using other methods, breathing into them works well.

i would think that using water would be a bit counter productive, as soon as the cold air hits them they'll be worse than before.

Yes, also keep the rest of your body warm and move you hands/fingers often to help stop them getting cold in the first place.
Quote by MetalCommand
Yes, also keep the rest of your body warm and move you hands/fingers often to help stop them getting cold in the first place.

Yeah, playing guitar is usually pretty good for keeping your hands/fingers moving.

Play guitar so you can play guitar.

Seriously though if you want to warm your hands up just rub them together a bit, or do whatever the heck is John Petrucci does in the stretching part of his rock discipline video where he fiddles around with his fingers or something.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
I use warm water in the colder months. It works wonders as long as it isn't the only thing you do. I bathe my hands in warm water (not hot, mind you, just warmer than room temperature) for a few minutes. After drying, I massage them to keep the tendons loose. That way, when I get to my guitar, my hands are loose enough that I can warm up properly without making warming up a drag. Once I'm warmed up, my hands are fine even if the room is frigid. If they get cold, rinse them momentarily in warm water again for a few seconds and massage the tendons some more.
Warming hands by immersing them in warm water (heat tranfer by convection), is the quickest way, and is regarded as safe. The treatment for frostbite is water close to 102 degrees F.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.