Poll: do you use a metronome?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you use a metronome?
yes
27 36%
no
43 58%
a what?
4 5%
Voters: 74.
Page 1 of 2
I just wondered, coz I was talking to a guy at my local music store, and he said that it really helps with your playing. So pit, do you practice guitar with a metronome?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Nope
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I did when I was younger, then stopped. Then started again when I embarrassed myself.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I like pie. The good kind.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I can't use the damn things, I never used to use one and when I was recommended to give it a try I found that it just threw me off, as I focused on the sound it was making instead of my playing. My timing is excellent anyway now, I just developed my timing through lot's of rhythm playing that wasn't necessarily intense, things like Rammstein. As it gives you a real feel for when to play a note. The only guitarists that I know that really need metronomes are the ones that only cared about their lead skills and learned how to sweep pick before they could play rhythm properly.
Yes. I'm also a percussionist, so I really have to use a metronome. It's carried over to guitar.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Practice? What?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
yes. Its essential to learn how to play on time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Not all the time.. Only when I need one to get the timing of a phrase correct, then, I let the drummer take over..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
yes. Its essential to learn how to play on time.

on time or in time?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
i don't always play guitar anymore

but when i do, i do it without a metronome
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Of course, it's invaluable. It helps track improvement, it helps timing, and it's the only thing that really tightens up your playing. Unless, you use a programmed beat, which is essentially the same, just less boring.

Metronome will really help you focus in on timing because it's not as busy as a drum beat, but a drum is more exciting to jam to. Plus, if you ever plan on recording in a studio, tight rhythm is essential and they'll ask you to play to a click. If you can't, well.... good luck
Yes, when it is needed.
Though I don't use one when I play guitar, because I don't play guitar.
Last edited by amaranth_todd at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by pncoutts
Of course, it's invaluable. It helps track improvement, it helps timing, and it's the only thing that really tightens up your playing. Unless, you use a programmed beat, which is essentially the same, just less boring.

Metronome will really help you focus in on timing because it's not as busy as a drum beat, but a drum is more exciting to jam to. Plus, if you ever plan on recording in a studio, tight rhythm is essential and they'll ask you to play to a click. If you can't, well.... good luck

lol @ srs answer in the pit
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
When I actually plan on spending 2-3 hours playing guitar, yes. I've heard a lot of great players say that playing along with a metronome is crucial, therefore, I use it. Sometimes however, I might pick up my guitar and before I know it, I've been sitting down for hours playing. In that case, I don't use it.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by pncoutts

They don't ask you to play to a click all the time. Drums are often down first and a lot of drummers dislike playing to clicks , so once the drums are tracked then everything else can be put to that. You don't force musicians to play to a click when they wish to do it the way they're comfortable with, which in that case would be to the drums.

A very important part of being good in a studio is treating your musicians with respect to how they like to do their music, within reason of course, this applies to everyone, including the producer.
A lot of musicians are already not as used to the studio too, i can be talking to people i know and go off about mixing and such and then i realise that i'm probably talking jargon to them.
It's the same deal in a proper studio except the musicians may have no idea how the process of recording happens. Playing with headphones on for instance for a vocalist is something that can be offputting at first so they need to be comfortable, all the musicians present do.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
They don't ask you to play to a click all the time. Drums are often down first and a lot of drummers dislike playing to clicks , so once the drums are tracked then everything else can be put to that. You don't force musicians to play to a click when they wish to do it the way they're comfortable with, which in that case would be to the drums.

Drummers really need to get over that.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I think if you are planning on practicing scales and exercises, aka actual practice, then a metranome is very important, if you plan on jamming or writing id say don't use a metranome, itl get your mind in the wrong mindset.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by pncoutts
Plus, if you ever plan on recording in a studio, tight rhythm is essential and they'll ask you to play to a click. If you can't, well.... good luck

Record the drums first, and have the drums in the playback. Much better than having everyone playing to a click, because this will make all instruments in time with the drums. People won't hear the click on the album, so they don't know if it's perfectly tight to the click, but they'll notice if it's not in time with the drums.

I don't use a metronome, I had been playing for years before I even bothered finding out what a metronome is. I've always played with the original song, I find that much easier than just having a god damned click.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I don't see the point. I'm as good as I need to be on guitar/keys, and if I need to practice a particularly difficult guitar solo, I just GP the track and play along to it until I'm awesome.

Feels good after all these years to finally be able to pick out tones, scales and keys from just listening to a track, I'd like to add.
Quote by gallagher2006
I don't see the point. I'm as good as I need to be on guitar/keys, and if I need to practice a particularly difficult guitar solo, I just GP the track and play along to it until I'm awesome.

Feels good after all these years to finally be able to pick out tones, scales and keys from just listening to a track, I'd like to add.

What you've mentioned is a big part of mastery of guitar. But one day, play one of those solos to a metronome, and only to a metronome. Maybe even play it 20 clicks under tempo. You'll feel how you pull away from the beat. Once you're able to play anything to a click, or able to stop the click midway, continue playing, and still be in time with the click when it comes back one, you'll be in the motha ****in pocket.
Quote by denfilade

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
@Gallagher^ the second statement has no correlation the the op. Your first statement, I would consider to be equal to playing to a metranome.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by bry0n
What you've mentioned is a big part of mastery of guitar. But one day, play one of those solos to a metronome, and only to a metronome. Maybe even play it 20 clicks under tempo. You'll feel how you pull away from the beat. Once you're able to play anything to a click, or able to stop the click midway, continue playing, and still be in time with the click when it comes back one, you'll be in the motha ****in pocket.

I can already do that.

Because.

I'm in the motha ****in pocket
I've never played guitar to one, but I use it all the time for fiddle to make sure I'm playing at or above dance speed. Kinda important to pick a speed and stick to it - with rhythm - if people are hoping to do organised dancing to it. Without falling over.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
I don't really practice, let alone with a metronome. The extent of my guitar-playing these days is playing along to music for a half-arsed hour.
I use my inner rhythm, along with foot tapping (and stuff like that, even some head movement can help) and I found that I don't have absolutely any lack of rhythm (eg. when I turn on the metronome or some drum machine).
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
@Gallagher^ the second statement has no correlation the the op. Your first statement, I would consider to be equal to playing to a metranome.

Which is why I put "I'd like to add" at the end of the sentence.

I was just having a brief callback to my days of practising with a metronome and being frustrated by not being able to pick out keys, tones or scales.

But by all means.

Report me for being off topic.
Quote by bry0n
Drummers really need to get over that.

Depends, if they're playing the part right and everyones happy with the take then there isn't much of a problem. If people want to tear it all to peices and move things around drastically, then a click track is needed.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by gabcd86
I don't really practice, let alone with a metronome. The extent of my guitar-playing these days is playing along to music for a half-arsed hour.

You and me both, work takes up a lot of my time now, hardly get chance to properly sit down and play.
I don't practice the guitar. I play the guitar. I don't practice for any purpose. I play it. I HATE whenever people say practice. That sounds like it's some kind of damn chore to do without any enjoyment.
When I feel like "practicing" the guitar, it's most likely the day I hate to play it and should sell it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by gallagher2006
Which is why I put "I'd like to add" at the end of the sentence.

I was just having a brief callback to my days of practising with a metronome and being frustrated by not being able to pick out keys, tones or scales.

But by all means.

Report me for being off topic.

It seemed like you tried to make it a point you were 'too good' for a metranome.
Page 1 of 2