My band decided I should begin singing backup vocals, (which i have no problem with). Since our Guitarist well...don't wanna be mean, but just doesn't seem much like a "vocals" guy, Much to shy also...Anyways, does anyone here have any expierence with Back up vocals while playing bass? Im not too shy to try it, but I havent really much skill with it, any tips or anything? :P
If you are able to play your parts without looking at it, you should be able to do it. Just give it a try, it's really not that of a big deal. Just make sure you know your basslines and what you are singing.
dude bass is generally easy.. if you were playin lead guitar i could see the problem.
Quote by dgunblatt
dude bass is generally easy.. if you were playin lead guitar i could see the problem.

^^That!!
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by dgunblatt

Quote by NHECOS
^^That!!

Oh yeah, because this would just be so ridiculously easy. Open your minds, 'tards.

This question's been asked a few times over the last couple of weeks and the threads yielded some pretty helpful advice, try searching for them.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by dgunblatt

ok, go sing "my name is mud" and play the bass part at the same time haha

anyway, i love doing back up vocals but i have no idea of the technique, i just try to imitate what i hear in other songs, so this thread interests me
Bullshit is bass usually easy haha, someone needs to expand there playing style :P

OT: I've done both lead and backing vox in a band, and the main problem I've encountered is that the vocal rhythm is often at odds with the bass, which can be difficult multitasking.

My best advice is just to practice, and keep your foot tapping on the beat which always seems to help me. Also make sure you learn both parts on their own well first and then put them together. It gets easier quite quickly with time too.
Practice talking the parts while you play. Eventually you will be able to play the parts and sing along. My lead guitarist can sing/hold a conversation and solo at the same time. It's just pure practice.
Quote by dgunblatt

i finde guitar about the same difficulty just the picking is werid for me but ther bassist that do that to if. guitar is so much better how comes bass only needs 4 stringes and a clean channel to sound good and filling when guitar you need chords and unless your relly good genrally you need overdrive!!!
Quote by andreww1996
i finde guitar about the same difficulty just the picking is werid for me but ther bassist that do that to if. guitar is so much better how comes bass only needs 4 stringes and a clean channel to sound good and filling when guitar you need chords and unless your relly good genrally you need overdrive!!!

That really makes us bassists sound like we are a coherent group...
If you aren't used to it, you may want to simplify your bass parts until you get the hang of it. My singer plays lead guitar, and often has to sing over some complicated lines, it just comes down to experience and practice.
I had the same problem, it's kinda difficult at first especially if your doing something like steady as she goes when your singing the same stuff at different times but it does gradually get easier. Our lead is also our singer (totally not a diva right?) and after about a month or so of practicing it comes naturally
Currently tormenting: FleaBass Street bass, Dean Edge 10A PJ, Wesley Acrylic 5, Fender Strat, Ibanez GRG250, H&S 6.
AMPS: Kustom Defender, Laney 300

Officer: How high are you?
My buddy: No officer, it's 'Hi how are you?'
Quote by dgunblatt

Oh boy...

as long as you're proficient in your bass part first, it should be pretty easy to sing while playing... You're going to find a few parts or bass lines that you just can't sing while playing, and sometimes the easiest parts will freeze your brain... For our bass player, he can play Higher Ground by RHCP and sing it, but a simple alternating bass line freezes him up...

Keep in mind that bass is primarily a percussion part... meaning that you work closely with the drummer to keep time as well as supplying the bottom end...

and for the "bass is easy" guy... take it up.. basses are cheap too... you won't be bored.. I promise... if you do it right...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I'm currently the backup vocals of my band. We normally do easy songs like Paramore songs, Yellowcard stuff so it's easier for me to sing. What a nice tip would be is to memorize the lyrics and melody of the vocals by heart so that you can focus on your bass too. Right now, I'm having difficulty in singing back ups along with playing my bass normally. (By normally, I mean the way I play my bass without singing, which has usually more fills and passing notes than the way I play my bass while singing)

What I can say though, is that doing back ups is really fun once you get a hang of it.
Eh Lol
Quote by benonbass1
Bullshit is bass usually easy haha, someone needs to expand there playing style :P

OT: I've done both lead and backing vox in a band, and the main problem I've encountered is that the vocal rhythm is often at odds with the bass, which can be difficult multitasking.

My best advice is just to practice, and keep your foot tapping on the beat which always seems to help me. Also make sure you learn both parts on their own well first and then put them together. It gets easier quite quickly with time too.

This. Especially with Rush... man. I mess around with vox a little bit just for the fun of it and I'd have to say that the best advice I can give is:

1. Know the song really well (duh). Listen to it on repeat if it's not a song you've been familiar with for a while.

2. Read while playing. Got an English exam tomorrow? Perfect. Jam that bass line while reading aloud. It's good practice for having completely different rhythms going on with your voice and with your hands.
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
If you can sing and play bass youre well ahead of the game. I dont have a lot experience playing bass and singing but you should practice even if you werent in a band that needed you to sing backup.
Quote by Pandawithapick
If you aren't used to it, you may want to simplify your bass parts until you get the hang of it. My singer plays lead guitar, and often has to sing over some complicated lines, it just comes down to experience and practice.

I agree. I currently play bass/backing vocals in my band and in one particular song I had to simply play root notes while singing until I started to improve.
It's a bit of twat, but you'll get better with practice.

Wow. Haha. Spoken like a true n00b with no idea what a good Bassist is capable of.

Being that I played bass for a good 20 years before adding guitar to my arsenal ( to aid my songwriting ) I could flip that statement around. However it would be equally ignorant, and equally false.

OP: You might need to practice some songs with easier bass lines at first just to find your comfort zone with the singing. It is time well spent to sing back up and harmony. Consider it added value to what you already bring to the table.

It makes you worth more than 10 useless guitar players that can't sing their way out of a paper sack.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
Practise practise practise.

You can either learn to play the part without thinking, which is alright for easier bass lines but with harder songs you'll need to try and get the words to fit with the bass line. The issue arises when you're playing something very rhythmic and need to sing something very melodic.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by dgunblatt

Obvious troll is obvious. Playing guitar and singing is easy. Bass is an entirely different animal.