Having done some internet browsing and review reading im completely stuck as to which one of these i want to get.

American Spesh - approx £750
American Standard - approx £1000

From the reviews and peoples comments it seems to me that a lot of people actually prefer the cheaper, American Special, Tele. I know that the Standard comes with a hard case and guitar strap whereas the Special just comes with a fairly shitty gig bag but is this really where your extra £250 goes??

Does anyone have first hand experience using both?

Im the kinda guy that believes in the "Buy nice or buy twice" philosphy so im willing to pay for the Standard if it is considerably better but i dont really wanna fork out an extra £250 for a guitar that is the same quality.

And yes, ive used the search bar

TL;dr Is the American Standard guitar itself really worth the extra £250?
You have to decide yourself.

Is it worth the extra 250 to you?
Do you actually prefer the features/pickups/etc. of the Special or the Standard?

Go and play them both.
I have played both... physically they feel and play the same. Tone is a little different with the Special having Texas pups and grease bucket circuit.

Its been said and I'll repeat it. Play them both and see which you like better.

FYI... I bought the American Special.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
I have played both... physically they feel and play the same. Tone is a little different with the Special having Texas pups and grease bucket circuit.

Its been said and I'll repeat it. Play them both and see which you like better.

FYI... I bought the American Special.

Thanks. Thats the impression from others ive been getting, that the cheaper instrument seems to be the one people go for after trying both.
Its not a matter of cheaper... Its about how it sounds, plays and feels. To me the Am. Special hit all three points. The Standard only hit two of the three.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Its not a matter of cheaper... Its about how it sounds, plays and feels. To me the Am. Special hit all three points. The Standard only hit two of the three.

I appreciate that but as a general rule of thumb you would expect the more expensive guitar to tick more boxes than a cheaper on. A sweeping generalisation i know but there you go.

I was just really pleased with the fact, as well as a little suprised, that, with the above in mind, the cheaper instrument was consitantly prefered over the pricier American Standard
Highway Ones were so much nicer than the American Specials so I recommend looking for a used or NOS one, there's bound to be some shops that still have them new. The satin nitro finishes just look and feel gorgeous.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB