Hey all im in a bit a fix, i love david gilmour and joe satriani, and i wish to buy an amp on a tight budget to replicate their sounds (and my own unique sounds as well), now i know that im not going to get the exact sound cause i dont have $1000000. but gilmourish (the website) has given me great details about david gilmour amps on a tight budget. But joe satrini uses mainly peavey and marshall for his sound.

Gilmourish amp suggestions -
Fender hot rod series
Fender blues junior
Laney cub12 15W stack
Laney cub12 12R
1982 Marshall 5210 50W stack
Peavey classic 30 - ? apparently not good for pedals ???
Fender bassman
Sound city 50plus
and some higher end fender amps

i need help aaahhhh, ive asked alot of ppl and gotten little advice, so please if anyone knows of any amp suggestions plz let me know????

i have a tight budget but i want to invest in a great amp, and yes im a huge pedal junkie and will be upgrading my delays, fuzz and muff etc. My guitars are a fender american strat and a kramer pacer classic and soon to add a charvel sometime in the future
Answer these questions:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
David Gilmour and Satch have two completely different amp setups. Like you mentioned, Satch uses Peaveys and Marshalls (usually cranked way up) while Gilmour uses big, powerful, CLEAN hiwatts and gets all his different sounds from pedals. If you want to get both types of sounds from one amp you'll need at least two channels, one of which should be a nice high headroom clean channel and another a relatively modern sounding, versatile gain channel. Look at the Blackstar HT series. They aren't 100% tube which many people here will be quick to point out, BUT they are very nice amps for the money, and will get you pretty good versions of both of the types of sounds you're looking for. They're more expensive than say a blues junior but in my opinion they're worth it.
A JSX would work. Use the clean channel for Gilmour. Won't be perfect but should be fine with the right pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A JSX would work. Use the clean channel for Gilmour. Won't be perfect but should be fine with the right pedals.

+1

Really any amp with a good clean channel that won't break up and a nice dirty channel will work. Both Gilmour and Satch have also used the Butler Tube Driver at one point or another. Gilmour as his main dirt, Satch as a boost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by tubetime86
Answer these questions:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Budget - about $500US give or take
Genres - blues, psychedelic/classic rock and instrumental rock like joe satch.
New used doesnt bother me
jamming with other musicians and small venues as well as home use
Western Australia, mainly shipping is a problem and different power i think its 240V in Australia
Ouch.

From what I know of the land of Oz, $500 isn't really enough for a proper amp out there... Someone care to point out why I'm wrong?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
keep in mind that both of them use a fair amount of fx so no amp is going to "give" you their sound. also i agree with those who point out that the two tones are very different and not likely to be both found in a budget amp.
all the amps i mentioned above are rougly that price or that price second hand
Well if you can find a JSX for under a $1000 in aus you'd be a pretty happy camper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
At the moment US$500 is AU$503. Amps cost a lot more here, the exchange rate has nothing to do with it. On the plus side, our wages are higher so it sorta evens out.
$500 isn't a lot of money to spend on an amp in Australia. Like I said, a JSX will set you back more like $1000+. I really don't like your chances tbh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think everybody now understands how crap my sit. is lol, i didnt place that in terms of exchange rate, i can pay $750 - 1000 Aus, which is equivalent to a $500 amp n the states amps here are a buck load more expensive!!! and as you go higher the prices get even worst
Quote by marv1969
i think everybody now understands how crap my sit. is lol, i didnt place that in terms of exchange rate, i can pay $750 - 1000 Aus, which is equivalent to a $500 amp n the states amps here are a buck load more expensive!!! and as you go higher the prices get even worst

So your budget is actually $750-1000AUD?

Yes? No? Yo?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
perhaps a Peavey Valveking. it's not perfect for either sound but is a good compromise to get you in the ballpark for an affordable price. takes pedals well. yes the speaker isn't great but that can be replaced down the road. the tone is better than many make it out to be. just takes a little work.
yeah i can get a Peavey Valveking 50w combo for like $300 bucks used, i hope that gives everybody an idea of wat i can and cant get in my price range
Quote by marv1969
yeah i can get a Peavey Valveking 50w combo for like $300 bucks used, i hope that gives everybody an idea of wat i can and cant get in my price range

Now you say $300 used... As in, 300AUD used, or 300USD used?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by marv1969
$300 Aus

For an used VK 1x12? I'd take it, mod it, get an OD pedal

boom.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
yeah a 1x 12 i think ill have to get back to u on that also mod it mate i wouldnt even know where to begin with that would have to give to an expert, also wat about the laney or peavey classic 30???????? nobody has mentioned those???
Quote by marv1969
Hey all im in a bit a fix, i love david gilmour and joe satriani, and i wish to buy an amp on a tight budget to replicate their sounds (and my own unique sounds as well), now i know that im not going to get the exact sound cause i dont have $1000000. but gilmourish (the website) has given me great details about david gilmour amps on a tight budget. But joe satrini uses mainly peavey and marshall for his sound.

The most you can have is actually 999999
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."