Anyone here gone to college and majored in Music?

Where'd you go?

Was it worth while?
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
I went to MTSU for music education and recording. Neither was worth it. 6th graders can swear at you and you won't be able to do anything and there is just no point in a recording degree. A degree in music is pretty pointless as well. It's really only there to impress other musicians and if you can't do that with your skill anyway then it's probably not worth it. You could spend your time better by practicing and gigging as much as possible. Look into other opportunities as a player instead of going to school to learn stuff you can teach yourself for the most part. Not saying that you won't learn anything, just saying that it won't really open any doors for you
The only way that I can see a major in music being worthwhile is if you're planning on making a living in an orchestra and as a session musician. (ie. not guitar)

I study composition mainly but with a lot of analysis and orchestration modules. Don't really do much theory anymore, but have been doing it for the last 7 years so i reckon I've done enough.

It's definitely worth it.

Quote by conor-figgy
The only way that I can see a major in music being worthwhile is if you're planning on making a living in an orchestra and as a session musician. (ie. not guitar)

Wrong.
I applied to college under a Music degree, but I'm gonna change it to Music Industry. I get to take most if not all of the Music courses required plus the industry stuff will be pretty interesting. There's a lot of jobs that fall under the Music Industry category and a lot of them interest me.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

Wrong.

Umm, ok. Care to tell me why? I'm honestly interested. My above post stated all the things that would benefit from a degree in music that I could think of.
The degree doesn't matter. The knowledge, skills, resources, and networking potential is everything. But don't do it unless you know in your heart it's the only choice.

Quote by conor-figgy
Umm, ok. Care to tell me why? I'm honestly interested. My above post stated all the things that would benefit from a degree in music that I could think of.
That's because you're treating it like a traditional degree for a conventional industry. It's not.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
The degree doesn't matter. The knowledge, skills, resources, and networking potential is everything. But don't do it unless you know in your heart it's the only choice.

That's because you're treating it like a traditional degree for a conventional industry. It's not.

Agreed. It's how you use what you know to make yourself stand out and meeting so many people that could help you down the road. My guitar teacher took Music Industry classes at the college I applied to and they met a ton of really high up there people in the industry world. I'm excited for a Music degree because of how many people I'll meet and get connections with. Plus I really want to learn everything about music that I can. If for some reason I ended up with a good but not music related job, I'd still be happy that I learned what I know about music. I'll never quit writing and gigging.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by conor-figgy

Quote by Xiaoxi

This.

Also, there's plenty of opportunities for composing work, orchestrating, musicologist, lecturer, teacher, private teacher. Not to mention all of the possibilities having a music degree opens up. As Xiaoxi says, the skills demonstrated by taking up such a technically difficult degree such as music, count for more than the degree itself.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
This.

Also, there's plenty of opportunities for composing work, orchestrating, musicologist, lecturer, teacher, private teacher. Not to mention all of the possibilities having a music degree opens up. As Xiaoxi says, the skills demonstrated by taking up such a technically difficult degree such as music, count for more than the degree itself.

Could you by any chance try to (briefly) explain to me what a musicologist is, and how they use that as a job? I've heard that before but I didn't really get it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
This.

Ah ok, but how many of these require the actual degree and not just the expertise? That's what I was talking about, like, what jobs will turn you away for not having a B.Mus?

In relation to the Jimmy Page comment; I understand that it's possible but he's one out of how many guitarists? If I had to pick an instrument to be exceptionally proficient on, I'd probably pick a bassoon or a trombone as I think I'd have a better chance at getting paid work than guitar. Opinions I suppose.
Quote by thePTOD
Could you by any chance try to (briefly) explain to me what a musicologist is, and how they use that as a job? I've heard that before but I didn't really get it.

It's like researching a certain topic and becoming an expert on it. You can specialize in literally ANYTHING as well.

But it's far bigger than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicology
Quote by vjferrara
I went to MTSU for music education and recording. Neither was worth it. 6th graders can swear at you and you won't be able to do anything and there is just no point in a recording degree. A degree in music is pretty pointless as well. It's really only there to impress other musicians and if you can't do that with your skill anyway then it's probably not worth it. You could spend your time better by practicing and gigging as much as possible. Look into other opportunities as a player instead of going to school to learn stuff you can teach yourself for the most part. Not saying that you won't learn anything, just saying that it won't really open any doors for you

That's disappointing. I was gonna transfer to MTSU in a year. :/
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Prepare your anus.

Quote by innertom
your big boy now

And that is how it happens.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It's like researching a certain topic and becoming an expert on it. You can specialize in literally ANYTHING as well.

But it's far bigger than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicology

Interesting...very interesting.

I'd love to have a job as a guitar teacher, or even a teacher of multiple instruments. Just randomly sharing that.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by conor-figgy
In relation to the Jimmy Page comment; I understand that it's possible but he's one out of how many guitarists? If I had to pick an instrument to be exceptionally proficient on, I'd probably pick a bassoon or a trombone as I think I'd have a better chance at getting paid work than guitar. Opinions I suppose.

You'd be wrong though. No matter what you might think, session guitar players are in just as high demand today as they always have been. If anything, now it's quite a lot easier for a session guitarist to get some serious paying work. As long as you're dedicated, can communicate and do what's expected of you, there is absolutely no reason you won't be able to find just as much, if not more work as say, a brass instrumentalist would.
Quote by Alkaline 64
You'd be wrong though. No matter what you might think, session guitar players are in just as high demand today as they always have been. If anything, now it's quite a lot easier for a session guitarist to get some serious paying work. As long as you're dedicated, can communicate and do what's expected of you, there is absolutely no reason you won't be able to find just as much, if not more work as say, a brass instrumentalist would.

Huh, I'll take your word for it! Cheers for the insight
Quote by Alkaline 64

Eh, I can't confirm this. There is a problem, especially in the scoring industry, regarding technology and live players. A lot of players of all instruments are in tough times for a couple of reasons:

1. A growing number of TV/film studios are facing lower budgets, so it's harder to hire union musicians.
2. Many productions are being taken out of the country in favor of orchestras and other players that are much cheaper and not unionized.
3. There's a shift in taste from acoustic music to electronic "soundscapes", and also many producers and directors are musically retarded/illiterate and can't appreciate the value of quality music or live performance.
4. Technology is increasing tenfold for sample libraries and other realistic virtual instruments that are replacing live performers completely in smaller budget productions.

But even with all that said, the music industry as a whole is constantly revolving. There are a lot of innovations. Most of you guys have no idea the amount and range of jobs that are related to music. It goes way beyond teaching, "making it" as a signed band, or some other cliche. Things are constantly rendered obsolete and new roles are created. With solid training and life skills, you learn to adapt.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I want to major in music in college but im afraid I will get out and have no work. Im only a junoir now. but that doesn't give me much time to figure out what to do
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
I went to a guitar college similar to GIT, called Music Tech of Minneapolis (it's now called McNally/Smith College of Music.) For me, it was totally worth it. I knew going into it that I wanted to play music for a living. I wasn't born with the natural talent that someone like Hendrix or Van Halen was, so I needed a more structured method of learning, and school provided that. I don't regret anything about it.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore