Hi guys, I own a Samick Greg Bennett AV3 (22 frets. Les Paul Design) and I'm planning to replace its stock pickups. I'm looking for a neck pickup with a FAT and CREAMY tone with a lot of sustain for a neck pickup to go with my choice of bridge pickup, DiMarzio Evolution....

So I have narrowed down to two of these pickups as I mentioned above, Slash's Alnico II Pro by Seymour Duncan and John Petrucci's Liquifire by DiMarzio.

As i have told that the pickups need to have a fat and rich tone and proper sustain as i play a lot of rock and blues and a bit of metal licks. It also needs to adapt decently to distortion.

Please note, it is highly IMPORTANT that the pickup doesn't sound noisy and dirty (fuzzy) as i really hate that. Hum is really needed to be eliminated and the pickups shouldn't compromise the great sustain of my guitar by any means....

Now I'd request you to judge between the above 2 pickups as to which one is best suited for my purpose and requirements.

ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT FIT THE BILL ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!!

PS: This is my first thread on this site so pardon me for any mistakes I could have possibly made...
Last edited by tirtha2chester at Nov 28, 2011,
The alnico II would probably fit your needs better for the blues stuff.

The Liquifire is more for your shred and articulate lead playing.

Whatever you play more of kinda makes the decision.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Get the Alnico 2 Pro since you have a LP.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Neither actually. There are a crapload of small business winders out there that make amazing products. Shop around a bit. Do you want to be just another guy with Dimarzio or do you want to be that guy that has something new to talk about?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Neither actually. There are a crapload of small business winders out there that make amazing products. Shop around a bit. Do you want to be just another guy with Dimarzio or do you want to be that guy that has something new to talk about?

Because he likes Duncans and Dimarzio's?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The alnico II would probably fit your needs better for the blues stuff.

The Liquifire is more for your shred and articulate lead playing.

Whatever you play more of kinda makes the decision.

Thanks for the replies people!

I'd like to ask 2 things

Firstly, will the Duncan APII neck handle harmonics well??

Secondly, will there be any problems if I place a Duncan (APII) on the neck with a DiMarzio (Evolution) on the bridge (compatibility problems i mean) ?? (Since they are different brands)
Last edited by tirtha2chester at Nov 30, 2011,
Don't know about the harmonics, but you will have 0 compatibility problems.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s