I recently put an add out on craigslist looking for a tube head, I mostly was looking to get a 5 watter like a valve jr. or kustom defender. Anyways a guy sent me a email saying he had a Ampeg B-18N, and there isn't much info on it or it's tone. He says he only has the head, which is beat up (missing paint on the trannys, rusting chassis, the logo melted, replacement knobs) in addition it has had the 2 prong cable professionally replaced by a local tech for a 3 prong, but he said he never got it recapped when he sent it in cause they said it didn't need it, it's a early 60's model so I think it's a time bomb.

TL;DR I was offered a battered B-18N head only for $425, is it a good deal and what's some tone descriptions and info about it.
Good deal if it's got a more recent clean bill of health from a tech, still try and talk him down though.

EDIT: Missed the part about the rust... ehhhhhhh...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Yea, I was thinking maybe $375 tops, It's a vintage piece of gear, but really I only need a head. it is missing too many "pieces to the puzzle" I think to be clinging to any real vintage tag. What would rust mean? He also offered me a ashdown bastard like you have at $500, but I'm no where near that budget, and I'd like a bit more headroom than 30 watts if I was going to go more than 5 watts.

Edit: I think the flip top design looks very cool almost mad max like with the roll cage and exposed parts, but am I the only one who would be dead nervous about anything coming near this head besides a steady sober hand on the dials and switch?
Last edited by askrere at Nov 28, 2011,
The rusting just means to be (along with all the other aesthetic issues) that it obviously hasn't been well cared for over the years and just makes me think, like what you mentioned, that it could be a bit of a time bomb. Also, I find the idea of an amp that old not needing at least a small cap job a bit strange.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB