Quote by Zeletros
So I started writing material and wanted to ask whether I went into the right direction, this is a short sample of a power ballad or something.

Is this 80s rock/metal?

Yes I know there's like 18/11 gain on the solo tone.

http://soundcloud.com/aindream/80s

The tone on the lead guitar could be said to be similar to tones that some guitarists had in the 80's, but the style of the music overall doesn't sound 80's at all.
shred is gaudy music
You need to analyse 80s rock/metal and see how bands achieve that sound.

Here's a few things I pickd up on from listening to a random track on one of my 80s playlists:

Chorus/Reverb effects
Gated drums
Synth pads
Tonic pedals, especially with chords VI and VII in a minor key.
VI VII i progressions

There's a track on my profile from ages ago call 'Evo Challenge'. That sounds somewhat 80s, and features most of that list.
Quote by griffRG7321
You need to analyse 80s rock/metal and see how bands achieve that sound.

Here's a few things I pickd up on from listening to a random track on one of my 80s playlists:

Chorus/Reverb effects
Gated drums
Synth pads

Tonic pedals, especially with chords VI and VII in a minor key.
VI VII i progressions

There's a track on my profile from ages ago call 'Evo Challenge'. That sounds somewhat 80s, and features most of that list.

Are you sure you're talking about 80s music?

I have in my mind the scorpions and alice cooper.

And your link doesn't work
Last edited by Zeletros at Nov 28, 2011,
I got an 80's feel at the beginning, when the lead comes in... and only the lead had the 80's "shred" feel to it. Everything else kinda felt like.... idk, umm.... system of a down's Lonely Day i guess?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
geez, what, really, what. go listen to a poison record for a straight week, this sounds like a weak rendition of pink floyd to me. you really need to surround yourself with this music instead of just throwing stuff at a wall and hoping it sounds a certain way.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Zeletros
Are you sure you're talking about 80s music?

I have in my mind the scorpions and alice cooper.

And your link doesn't work

Lol wut?

They both started in the 60's, being more 70's acts, though admittedly did come in the 80's eventually.

Alice's cooper biggest hit is from 1972.

Van Halen? David Lee Roth? Poison? Motley Crue? Gun's N Roses? Michael Jacksons Thriller?

Are you sure you are talking about true 80's music?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 28, 2011,
It kind of reminded me of a Scorpionesque ballad, but honestly, it sounded more 70s than 80s to me.
Quote by Hail
geez, what, really, what. go listen to a poison record for a straight week, this sounds like a weak rendition of pink floyd to me. you really need to surround yourself with this music instead of just throwing stuff at a wall and hoping it sounds a certain way.

I never listened to a pink floyd song

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Lol wut?

They both started in the 60's, being more 70's acts, though admittedly did come in the 80's eventually.

Alice's cooper biggest hit is from 1972.

Van Halen? David Lee Roth? Poison? Motley Crue? Gun's N Roses? Michael Jacksons Thriller?

Are you sure you are talking about true 80's music?

Guess not