My understanding of Distortion is that it essentially increases the gain on the guitar signal and adds noise. I might be wrong, in which case feel free to correct me.

My question is regarding my Boss ST-2 "Power Stack" distortion pedal, which generates A LOT of unwanted noise when not being played. Obviously while it's playing I get the signal from the guitar with very little noise other than what is added intentionally. But as soon as I stop playing it'll generate a lot of buzz and often it'll cause some pretty harsh feedback within seconds if not instantly.

There are a few things that I think might be causing it, but I'm not convinced...

1) My amp and pedals are in pretty close proximity to each other on stage.
2) At the moment I'm using pretty cheap patch leads between pedals and there might be some interference or something.

Any other opinions would be good! I also use a Boss DS-1, but that never gives off any unwanted noise. It's on a lower gain setting as I use it for a bit of fuzz rather than full distortion, which might be why. Any ways of preventing buzz that you guys know about?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Could be just poor grounding with your pickups. The DS1 might not show it but the increased gain on the ST2 might.

The only way to tell is to try all of your cables to see if anything affects it and distance from the amp.
Both of those are likely causes, as is the grounding of the pickups. You should try turning the gain down a little bit, and if the hum is still present do some of the following: look into better cables, maximize the distance between the amp and pedals and look into noise suppression.
The guitar I use like 90% of the time is an LTD, and it's got pretty solid wiring, everything looks grounded properly to me so that's unlikely to be it. I'm investing in new wires and stuff later this week so hopefully that'll help a little bit. The issue with distance from my amp to my pedals is that I tend to play on quite a small stage and it's pretty hard to be far away from anything. Ideally I'd move my amp away anyway, but it's not really an option :/

As for noise suppression, my Boss ME-20 has a suppressor on the manual mode, but on the memory mode (which I use) it doesn't appear to have the suppressor function... Any suggestions of good suppressor pedals?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Do you have single coil pickups?

I do, and if I angle my guitar slightly where the strings face the floor, it stops feedback. I use a multi-effects pedal so it might be the effects, im not sure. My guitar teacher told me that single coils give off more feedback or something. I dont know, the conversation was a good long time back.
I've got buckers on my LTD, but yeah singles will give off a lot more noise than humbuckers, which is why humbuckers were invented
My strat has singles on it and whenever I use my distortion pedal with it, the level goes through the roof and feeds back reeeeaaaally badly..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by Guitarbaddie
It's the pedals

Anything more specific? That isn't particularly helpful to be honest with you
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

but yeah singles will give off a lot more noise than humbuckers, which is why humbuckers were invented QUOTE]

Ye that is why they call it hum-buckers, they buck the hum :P
The single coil thing is hardly the point of this, but whatever Singles get interference and noise much easier, basically cause the coil goes in just the one direction so there's no noise prevention. Humbuckers, as you should know, have two coils and each one runs in an opposite direction, therefore cancelling the noise. Or, bucking the hum
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

it could be your power suply of your pedals
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
and also boss pedals arent true bypass they are however pretty decently buffered ( just naming causes here)
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Quote by guitardWARf
it could be your power suply of your pedals

They all run on 9V which is what my power adaptor is, and the mA requirement for the 4 pedals I use comes to about 350 mA, and the adaptor is 500mA. I don't think it'll be that if the requirements are met with room to spare?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

are you using a daiy chain?
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Yeah... that sounded as if the daisy chain would be causing the problem? I'm not huge on electronics but I like to try and understand, how would the daisy chain cause the problem?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

because if you use a daisy chain your pedals arent getting their power seperated wich causes interferences its hard to explain
in short get a power suply with isolated outputs like a voodoo labs fuel tank i believe it is or power all your pedals with batteries
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
sorry it would be a trex fuel tank or a pedal power
don't opt for the dunlop power brick it is cheaper but doesn't have the isolated supplies you want
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
now you say that, i think i have heard it before... I'll have a look at those. I've seen a few before like the Powerbank or something like that, but each outlet has limited current, which is usually around 100 - 150mA, and the most one of my pedals takes is 280mA :/
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

btw im not telling you that you should buy a new supply or that this is the problem test beforehand like this: power all your pedals with batteries and if you then hear an audible difference between battery powered and power suply powered, I would lean towards buying a new supply its well worth the investment
sorry if theres crappy english in here I'm Belgian XD
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
yeah i got that, but by the fact that I've had that suggested before and i'm about to be increasing the number of pedals, that may not be a bad idea.. i'll definitely look into it, thats for sure

your english is fine by the way, its better than a lot that you'll read on here..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart