Hello all.

I'm fairly new to mixing. I want to learn about EQ'ing, Compression, Reverb etc etc. The basics.

Can anybody link me to a website/book/video(s) which contain this information?

Thank you.
Audiotuts
Sound On Sound
Recording Review
Tweak Headz
Home Studio Corner

All great sites with invaluable advice. The best way to learn is hands-on, obviously. I was lucky enough to find and join a newly built recording studio for young people which boosted my knowledge/experience way more than just reading/tweaking at home - see if you can do something similar?
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by demon.guitarist
Audiotuts
Sound On Sound
Recording Review
Tweak Headz
Home Studio Corner

All great sites with invaluable advice. The best way to learn is hands-on, obviously. I was lucky enough to find and join a newly built recording studio for young people which boosted my knowledge/experience way more than just reading/tweaking at home - see if you can do something similar?

I've got some of my own gear to mix on, but my town doesn't have a music scene and the two studios that are here don't offer that sort of thing.

Thank you for the websites, I'll check them out. I feel like I can mix okay, but I just need guidelines you know? Me and others I guess.
My tip is to imagine that the whole process of recording is a blank sheet before you. First you record a part which adds a rough and edgy block to the blank before you. Then you add another recorded part, adding a new block but it overlaps the previous. Add more etc which all overlap. Then you take a block, place it on a new place on the sheet (panning). Then you start to soften the edges (equalizing). Then you decide where and what to add to shape it into a musical product (post-processing). At least this helped me a lot, might not seem clearly comprehensive right now but try it out on an empty sheet of paper

Edit: oh and here's my tip, experiment haha. People say that if you're making a metal product rhythm guitars gotta be panned tightly right or left. Why listen to that when you can make it be a 40% left and 40% right and find a new way Experiment with different ideas you get, the ending result depends on how willing you are to make it happen rather than following certain rules. This is creativity after all
Last edited by Dopemgs at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by Dopemgs
Experiment with different ideas you get, the ending result depends on how willing you are to make it happen rather than following certain rules. This is creativity after all

I've been experimenting for a year and it's shit. I only have one condenser mic but I feel it should be sounding better than it is.
Quote by lockwolf
Mixermans Art & Zen of Mixing

I'll look into this, thanks man.

Quote by Wild Hopkins
The link in my sig is a pretty good beginner guide to compression.

And all those other link are awesome as well.

PM if you've got any questions, I'll try and help you out.

Hey man, I sent you a PM and I also read your guide to compression which I found very helpful. It let me know exactly what it is and what I should be using it for. It's nice when someone just gives you the facts with no bs. It's very well written.
Quote by rocknrollstar
I've been experimenting for a year and it's shit. I only have one condenser mic but I feel it should be sounding better than it is.

you just gotta keep plugging away at it, dude. try and pick up a couple of cheapy mics so you can at least get a feel for the difference between them. try out different plugins for the same reason. try recording different musos as well. early on it's hard to tell if the problem is with the mix or the performance.

for a book reference, "Mixing with your mind" - http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/ - helped me out a lot.
Quote by BaseApe
you just gotta keep plugging away at it, dude. try and pick up a couple of cheapy mics so you can at least get a feel for the difference between them. try out different plugins for the same reason. try recording different musos as well. early on it's hard to tell if the problem is with the mix or the performance.

for a book reference, "Mixing with your mind" - http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/ - helped me out a lot.

Yeah I'm looking into another mic and a pair of speakers to mix through. Thanks for the book, I'll look into that tomorrow, might get it as an xmas gift to myself.

Whist were on the subject, Wild Hopkins (UG user) gave me some mic tips and I've done a Pixies cover and kept everything minimum. It's on my profile.

Can I get your thoughts? Does it sound okay?
Quote by MetalCommand
The stickies in this forum have some good information. If you consider recording your guitars DI, then the website Guitar Amp Modelling is very useful.

Hey man, I had a read at them and they do have some good tips.

My guitar doesn't sound amazing when it's DI'd so I'll probably try sticking to miking it for a more natural sound.