Sup Guys,

As i´m gettin further involved in the local music scene, I´m looking for a slightly different sound than others round my age, somewhat like a stoner rock-ish sound. so, I have a Jackson Stratocaster, but i guess, for Stoner rock, at least a Humbucker in Bridge Position would be needed, am I right?
Do you have any suggestions which Humbucker woul be good for my needs, and do I also need a Humbucker in Neck Position?

Sound samples, quite near the sound which I´d like to achieve :

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffriKpgMGQ

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zko7pBeHkk

Just samples, But i thought of sound like that, not so endless-space-dogging like some Stoner Bands do, but also not to Mainstream-Rock-ish.

I hope you understand me, look forward to your answers!

Oh, and my english somewhat sucks, so I hope everything I´ve written is clear

Thank You!
Don't know about the pups but your english was pretty good
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Thank you!

Ok, no active, quite hot Humbuckers in Bridge and neck... and in the middle?
Singe Coil?

By the way, Is there a way of keeping the Strat-typical sound on the Neck Position with a Humbucker?

and also, is there a humbucker for Bridge and Neck you could recommend me?
Last edited by deeppurple97 at Nov 28, 2011,
id recomend a duncan invader in the bridge.. personally i would get a dual humbucker pickgiard and just drop the middle pickup.. you can split the coils on alot of humbuckers to get very close to that strat sound
Last edited by halfj06 at Nov 28, 2011,
Duncan Invader in Bridge, ok, I heard these things are agressive, but maybe thats whats needed. Thank you man!

If i choose to use The Invader Humbucker in Bridge Position, do I need to rewire anything on my Guitar (S.S.S Stratocaster) or can I just throw it in ?
none of the above. GFS JM90 neck and bridge. High output and heavy growl without sacrificing clarity.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
If you want to do stoner rock, get a good fuzz pedal, not a pickup replacement. You'll be able to push out a good stoner rock sound with a really good fuzz pedal. I'd look for one of them over a pickup replacement.
Quote by Glenn Guitar
If you want to do stoner rock, get a good fuzz pedal, not a pickup replacement. You'll be able to push out a good stoner rock sound with a really good fuzz pedal. I'd look for one of them over a pickup replacement.

+1
With a good fuzz pedal you don’t need humbuckers. Just turn down the tone to kill some treble and then crank the gain on the pedal. If it sounds odd that’s fine, your band will just have a signature tone.
Either a good fuzz pedal, or:

Neck HB on your guitar, tone about half, volume at like 70%, gain at 30%. Give or take a bit.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I've really been liking my rockfield mafias. I think they would be perfect for that tone.... not super high output but great low. Also, really good price on them.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
What I was going to say has been said already. A pup swap will not give you the tone you're looking for. Go out and buy yourself a fuzz pedal, like the Big Muff Pi for example. That will give you what you want. If you are still unhappy with your tone, then maybe a pup change is in order but for now just save your money and get yourself a fuzz pedal.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I recently got that pedal, it kicks asses!

now, it seems like the stock pickups sound quite cool, it has a little individual touch in them...
If you want a customized pedal built from the ground up for you email the guys a NoiseKICK FX.