So recently I purchased a Gibson studio 60's tribute. I was overjoyed when I got but after about 2 months it started getting wicked fret buzz on the high e. Its so bad that sometimes the e is barely audible. This is only when played open. I'm just wondering how I could go about fixing this and how much would it cost to get fixed.

P.s I raised my action fairly high but the buzz still continues I think it maybw a nut problem. Perhaps cut to deep?
take it to a luthier/tech and get them to have a look at it. i wouldn't bother messing about with a guitar that expensive myself.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If it's just on the open string, it's probably a nut issue. Should be quick and easy for a tech to fix it. If you want to try something yourself without possibly messing it up, try flossing (yup) the nut groove and getting some graphite in there. It's possible there's just a little piece of something stuck in there. You'll probably need to take it in to get the slot filed a little bit, but you might as well try a quick and gentle home solution first just to make sure it's not a really easy fix.

If you haven't tried new strings, that's a good idea, too. You could just replace the E if your factory ones are still fresh.
Quote by Roc8995
If you haven't tried new strings, that's a good idea, too. You could just replace the E if your factory ones are still fresh.

Dont worry i've changed my strings atleast 4-5 times since i've got it. Two months would be a long time with the factory supplied ones As i thought it does seem to be the nut. Does anyone have and estimate of how much this would cost to get fixed though?

EDIT: thanks also to prevouis advice
Quote by redandwhite12
Dont worry i've changed my strings atleast 4-5 times since i've got it. Two months would be a long time with the factory supplied ones As i thought it does seem to be the nut. Does anyone have and estimate of how much this would cost to get fixed though?

EDIT: thanks also to prevouis advice

if when you fret between the 2nd and 3rd fret, the string lays on the 1st fret,
then yes. the cut is too deep.

do the fret test and tap on the first fret to listen if the string is on the 1st fret,
or a hair up, like it's supposed to be.

if you are still unsure, slip a bit a paper under the string in the cut of the nut and
play it like that.
see if the buzz lessens.

play it like that until you can take it in for a new swap.

for plastic nuts, it's around $20 installed. more for better quality.

if it turns out that the nut is NOT the issue, then post back for further instruction.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011