I've played acoustic for about a year now and I've decided to move up in the world and invest in an amp as I've recently acquired an Epiphone dot.

It sounds sweet on my friends tube amp, Vox (lil night stalker?) but he himself is a tube and I never take any advice he gives which has served to my benefit many times and has even saved my life more than once.

Anyway, back to topic, I'm not willing to invest £500 or whatever in a 'good' amp when it's really only a side project and as I'm a complete and utter newb at all things electric guitar I humbly ask your opinions.

I realise you probably get this question a lot so I've narrowed it down to these two specific amps.

The Vox one mentioned earlier (is it called lil night stalker?) or the Epiphone valve junior hot rod. I heard these heads can bring out the best in a semi hollow body (or what ever the dot is).

Also i know i need a speaker cabinet but I'm not too sure how much i should dish out on one but i don't need a big one (maybe a 1x12 if that is such a thing)

I apologise for any wrong terminology's i have used but i am completely new to this. Thankyou for your patience.

Edit: It's called lil night train!.... I'm a little disappointed to be honest, Night Stalker just sounds so damn cool
Last edited by A Shaved Wookie at Nov 28, 2011,
Night Stalker is one of these....

2nd hand AC15 would be a good amp for you.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^^^

Get a night stalker....you don't need an amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
"he himself is a tube"
lol gotta love calling people tubes!
AC15 sounds pretty good and i'd assume you're not playing anything heavy since you got a dot but it would help if you gave us an idea of some tones/genre/blahblah you want!
Hey everyone.... That amp looks like a helicopter!.... It's even got little people in it! I've gotta get me one of those!

I can't afford a standard night stalker (i'm just going with the stalker bit. No use turning back now) but the lil night stalker is within my budget but it's probably vastly different.
I settled for the Vox AC4TV10. I figured i can just hook it up to a bigger cabniet if i need to go louder

I can't afford the AC15 but thanks for all the help.

Might get a night stalker in the future cuz the look well cool.
Quote by A Shaved Wookie
I settled for the Vox AC4TV10. I figured i can just hook it up to a bigger cabniet if i need to go louder

We have teh same amp!!!!!! Now crank it on the 1 watt setting and you'll never regret buying it.

P.S: There have been some issues of overheating so don't keep the volume full for extended periods of time........

NGD thread coming soon?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ how does that little thing overheat?

can you take the back panel off and leave it off?

I don't think so, I haven't bothered to open it up yet but from the pics I've seen so far the entire chassis comes off.........and you have to do that to change the tubes.

The tubes are mounted on a PCB board with everything so tightly packed. It wouldn't be smart but someone could try.

And if you take the back panel off you'd need to mod it to have the adapter plug in place (i guess) and have to connect the 16 ohm output again.

Relating to it overheating, someone posted it on a forum that I went through (telecaster forum or something of that nature). From personal experience, I *accidentally* left my NS capo (the ones with the rubber on them) on the vent and played for a pretty long time. The rubber started to melt.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I have a degree in electrical and electronic engineering lol so i should be able to figure out something about that overheating but thanks for the heads up!

Is this a common problem do you know?

P.S I just ate some chicken nuggets and they were yummy
Last edited by A Shaved Wookie at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by A Shaved Wookie
Is this a common problem do you know?

P.S I just ate some chicken nuggets and they were yummy

No its not a common problem at all. Check the tele forum (don't have link). They have a pretty lengthy thread about the amp. Quite a few pics and many people have modded the exterior, changed speaker, tubes etc and have their opinions on it.

Ooh, nuggets. Where from?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
^ I was watchin starwars one day and chewy was onscreen then it occurred to me.... Do wookies get hair cuts? Are there some that would get a no.1 all over? and if so what would they look like!? I lol'd for about an hour and a half straight then started using it as my username everywhere.

I'll check out that other thread on my amp. Thanks for all the help.

And by the way they were birds eye nuggets! yum yum.
Quote by A Shaved Wookie
^ I was watchin starwars one day and chewy was onscreen then it occurred to me.... Do wookies get hair cuts? Are there some that would get a no.1 all over? and if so what would they look like!? I lol'd for about an hour and a half straight then started using it as my username everywhere.

I'll check out that other thread on my amp. Thanks for all the help.

And by the way they were birds eye nuggets! yum yum.

You haven't seen the Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode then I guess.

http://video.adultswim.com/aqua-teen-hunger-force/drewbacca.html