Page 1 of 2
Fellow guitar players, I need your help

I am a beginner guitar player. I learned to play tabs on the internet and have never taken lessons from a teacher.
I have been playing for 2 years now but still a total beginner, as i'm self learnt.
I mostly play Metallica and Slayer riffs even though i've been recently learning some Steve Vai (for the love of God) and Joe Satriani (until we say goodbye) songs.

I play many Metallica songs/riffs (never solos) and some Slayer too so you can tell that I prefer anything concerning riffs and distortion. (thrash/Heavy Metal)

I have a Cort X1 guitar and a Cort CM10G amplifier (which i bought as a package) and need to upgrade my amp because i'm not enjoying the sounds i'm getting now.

Any advice about what is the most suitable Amp for my playing style. I'd love to get the best distortion heavy sound i can get from a CHEAP 15w amp that i ONLY use at home for practice.
Thanks

Rock on \m/
Peavey Vypyr?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Going against conventional recommendations, there is like 5-15w, small Marshall amp out there that is like a JCM800, or at least that is what people tell me.

That thing plus a boost would be great for thrash practice on a budget.

Inb4 cathbard
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I've done some research myself and the best Amp options were:

- Roland Cube 15
- Mesa Boogie Mark IV (expensive I reckon)
- Peavey Vypyr 15
- Line 6 Spider IV 15

Best Pedal options were:

- Digitech Death Metal x-series or Metal Master
- Boss Metal Zone
- Randall RM20 (for Metallica effects)
- some Bugera Behringers

what are your thoughts?
Remember I'd love to get the best distortion I can get for the lowest price.

Thanks again
^Just telling you.. You can get like 25 Peavey Vypyr 15Ws with the price of a Mark IV. Hopefully that tells you enough that you're speaking of totally different amps.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by JamezSatriani

- Roland Cube 15
- Peavey Vypyr 15
- Line 6 Spider IV 15

Best Pedal options were:

- Digitech Death Metal x-series or Metal Master
- Boss Metal Zone
- Randall RM20 (for Metallica effects)
- some Bugera Behringers

what are your thoughts?
Remember I'd love to get the best distortion I can get for the lowest price.

Thanks again

Lol, that list of junk.

Avoid pedals. You don't need them right now, especially those pedals. Avoid the Spider, the Roland Cube and Vypyr are fine. The mk IV is easilly 1000 dollars
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Sakke
^Just telling you.. You can get like 25 Peavey Vypyr 15Ws with the price of a Mark IV. Hopefully that tells you enough that you're speaking of totally different amps.

yeh so sorry about the Mark IV... thought it was so expensive. How foolish of me
Thank you for your help
Quote by Sakke
Peavey Vypyr?

The Peavey seems to be the best choice for Heavy metal/Thrash style
Thanks
Quote by JamezSatriani

- Roland Cube 15
- Peavey Vypyr 15
- Line 6 Spider IV 15

If this list were cars, it would be:

- Toyota Camry
- Lamborghini Diablo
- Honda Civic
- Ford Fiesta

Who wouldn't want the Lamborghini? But then again, who can afford it? As much as it pains me to say it, if these are your options (and provided you can't afford the Mark IV) go with the Vypyr.

If these are just what you've seen or your friends recommendations, take a longer look at some other amps. The Class 5 would do you alright with a boost. I'm not a huge fan but... A better option, IMO would be an 18W Marshall but that might be more than you want to spend.

So the question remains, what exactly is your budget and are you willing to go used?
No pedals needed for the Vypyr. The amp's distortion is better than all the pedals you listed.

Also, the Randall RM20 is not a pedal, it's an amp. Bugera is also an amp maker.

At your price point you will not be able to get a tube amp that will do metal, so don't worry about them for now. When you're a better player, and are interested in joining a band and playing shows, and can afford something better, only then should you worry about upgrading to a tube amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
No pedals needed for the Vypyr. The amp's distortion is better than all the pedals you listed.

Also, the Randall RM20 is not a pedal, it's an amp. Bugera is also an amp maker.

At your price point you will not be able to get a tube amp that will do metal, so don't worry about them for now. When you're a better player, and are interested in joining a band and playing shows, and can afford something better, only then should you worry about upgrading to a tube amp.

yeh, sorry about the Mark IV and Randall mistakes. It was a combination of ignorance and bad categorizing while researching.

I'm not planning to play outside my bedroom in the near future.
So thank you for your help and guidance
Quote by Smcash
If this list were cars, it would be:

- Toyota Camry
- Lamborghini Diablo
- Honda Civic
- Ford Fiesta

Who wouldn't want the Lamborghini? But then again, who can afford it? As much as it pains me to say it, if these are your options (and provided you can't afford the Mark IV) go with the Vypyr.

If these are just what you've seen or your friends recommendations, take a longer look at some other amps. The Class 5 would do you alright with a boost. I'm not a huge fan but... A better option, IMO would be an 18W Marshall but that might be more than you want to spend.

So the question remains, what exactly is your budget and are you willing to go used?

Yeh mentioning the Mark IV was my mistake. Thought it was so expensive but should have had a confirmation before posting it as an option here.

My budget would be around 200 USD but since i only buy local and not online, and since i'm Lebanese (probably u never heard of Lebanon before lol) prices seems to be bit different than in Europe or the USA. but i'd say withing the range of the Vypyr not much more

Thank you
Is it the class 5? I thought it was something like that.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Is it the class 5? I thought it was something like that.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it though. I was actually disappointed at how much it took to get it to break up. And for about the same price price, you could go with a Jet City (JCA20, I think). Might actually save a couple of dollars and I've been really impressed with them.
I think i'll go with the Vypyr, considering my budget

So, any pedals needed to boost my distortion?? or would it be too much for a guy that plays in his bedroom?
Quote by JamezSatriani
I think i'll go with the Vypyr, considering my budget

So, any pedals needed to boost my distortion?? or would it be too much for a guy that plays in his bedroom?

most pedals don't work well with the vypyr (or many other digital modeling amps). you won't need anything for practice. if you want a pedal then get a wah for those kirk hammett leads a wah will work fine.
I am a new guitar player too and I have a Line 6 III and IV both 15w and there are okay. They are good low budget amps and can get the job done for a practice amp. While I would like to have better amps, I can't knock the Line 6 amps.
Class 5 is better suited for classic rock IMO... may be ok if you boost it. Also, it has no preamp, so to get the proper tone from the amp you have to crank it. This is NOT really a bedroom amp. 5W tube amp cranked for power tube overdrive is way loud for apartment / bedroom volumes.

Your best bet is probably a vypyr or cube.

Quote by stenio
I am a new guitar player too and I have a Line 6 III and IV both 15w and there are okay. They are good low budget amps and can get the job done for a practice amp. While I would like to have better amps, I can't knock the Line 6 amps.

No offense meant here, but you're a noob. Give it a little time and play through a real amp, and you'll hear why everyone bashes the spider. They ARE decent practice amps with a lot of effects, but there are far better options in the price range. I used to have a spider III. I thought it was awesome until I plugged into a nice tube amp at GC one day. So long spider.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Also, it has no preamp, so to get the proper tone from the amp you have to crank it. This is NOT really a bedroom amp.

I have to disagree here and I don't disagree with you very often. The Class 5 does have a preamp. Most Class A-A/B amp have a preamp and power amp. The Marshall Class 5 has 1 - EL84 power tube and 2 - 12AX7s preamp tubes in addition to preamp circuitry. The various times I've played it it didn't have to be cranked to sound good. 'Bedroom' amp implies (to me) that someone needs to practice guitar in their bedroom and not bothers others in the house or neighbors. This is a good practice amp AND it has a headphone jack (which is rare for a tube amp).

Quote by jpatan
Also, it has no preamp, so to get the proper tone from the amp you have to crank it. This is NOT really a bedroom amp. 5W tube amp cranked for power tube overdrive is way loud for apartment / bedroom volumes.
It has a preamp. It doesn't have a preamp gain control for driving the preamp into distortion.
Quote by fly135
It has a preamp. It doesn't have a preamp gain control for driving the preamp into distortion.

Yeah, this is what I meant to say. I have a friend who has a class 5 and he's constantly complaining that it sounds great, but he hardly ever gets to really use it because it is way too loud for his apt when he's in the sweet spot.

EDIT: Could also just be that his neighbors are assholes
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Nov 29, 2011,

18W Marshall. I should have another ready for sale in a couple of weeks (been delayed by a broken soldering iron). Stick a tubescreamer in front of it for thrash heaven.

Neighbours are only a problem if they aren't scared of you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

18W Marshall. I should have another ready for sale in a couple of weeks (been delayed by a broken soldering iron). Stick a tubescreamer in front of it for thrash heaven.

Neighbours are only a problem if they aren't scared of you.

The bassist dude from EVH would love that if it was a bass amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by JamezSatriani

- Roland Cube 15
- Peavey Vypyr 15
- Line 6 Spider IV 15

do u understand that 1 of the amps in this list are on the complete other end of the price and quality spectrum?

its the line 6
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Guitarbaddie

you mean Michael Anthony from the band Van Halen?

EVH is a guy, Edward Van Halen.

The band is called Van Halen.

TS - good decision on the Vypyr.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think my amps are out of his price range anyway. The Vyper was a good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020
you mean Michael Anthony from the band Van Halen?

EVH is a guy, Edward Van Halen.

The band is called Van Halen.

TS - good decision on the Vypyr.

Derp, lulz.

The drugs I take.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Cathbard
I think my amps are out of his price range anyway. The Vyper was a good choice.

How much?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
How much?

That one was $650 plus postage. The next one will probably be $700 plus postage because our idiot PM tried to screw with the exchange rate and everything cost me a bit more this time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Guitarbaddie

The bassist dude from VH that you are thinking of, Michael Anthony, is no longer with Van Halen. He is with some lame band call Chickenfoot I believe.

Eddie's son, Wolfgang, is the current bassist for Van Halen (for better or worse).

I hear the new VH album rocks
Quote by monwobobbo
most pedals don't work well with the vypyr (or many other digital modeling amps). you won't need anything for practice. if you want a pedal then get a wah for those kirk hammett leads a wah will work fine.

ok thx mate
i think i'll get the wah pedal for some more fun

P.S: will i have problems connectiing it to the Vypyr?

much appreciate it
Rock on \m/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Get the Vypyr

You won't need any pedals

The Class 5 is nice - but not for what you play. It is more of a classic rock amp.

Oh, and I think it is 'self taught' not 'self learnt'

Thanks mate for the correction and for your help
rock on \m/
Quote by JamezSatriani
ok thx mate
i think i'll get the wah pedal for some more fun

P.S: will i have problems connectiing it to the Vypyr?

much appreciate it
Rock on \m/

You get another instrument cable and you plug your first one into the wah and second one from the wah to the amp. Pretty easy.
You won't have any trouble connecting it, all you need is an extra cable (or lead or whatever you want to call it) and the power supply (or a 9V battery). A wah is a great choice, just remember that contrary to Kirk Hammet, it is NOT supposed to be used for every single note you will play.
If it's possible within your budget, try to get the Vypyr 30. The Vypyr 15 is not a proper representation of the greatness that is the Vypyr. I own/ have owned the 15, 75, and 120H. The 15 is just loads of meh.

Still a lot better than the Spiders though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2