Page 1 of 4
Alright, I need some advice.

My brother is 13, and he's basically failing very badly. He's in grade 7 I believe (Got held back once)

Basically his marks were:
Science: 24 %
Language Arts: 15%
Math: 24%
Social Studies: 38%
Phys Ed: 80%
Home Ec: 74% (Home ec is mandatory)

I know that he can do WAY better. The only reason that he is failing so bad, is that he doesn't hand in any work. All he does is play Xbox and hang out with friends.
I took away the Xbox and from now on he isn't allowed to go on the computer, hang out with friend, or play any games until all homework is complete.

I talked to him, and told him the consequences of letting his grades slip like this, and told him the rules. I told him that he can do better than this, and I told him how I almost failed grade 8 & 9 because I just didn't do the work, and now I have 80's% and 90's%. He basically said "Okay Dad" sarcastically. I said that "you don't really have a father and you don't listen to mom so yeah, I have to do this. I'm not being a dick, but you have to face the consequences" He then went on to tell me that our dad is better than this family (referring to me and my mother)

Just recently, our father told him that he was a mistake and shouldn't have been born. Just a bit of backstory so this makes more sense.

So I really need some help. He won't listen to my mom or I. All I do is try to help him, but he basically won't do anything

What can I do to make him actually do his work and to actually apply himself?

TL;DR: My friend ****ed a sheep who ****ed my brother.

Sorry for the huge post, but I need help/advice.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
You can't do anything other than present a valid argument as to why he should try harder. Only he can change himself.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Beat his ass. That's what brothers do.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Rape him into submission.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Punch him until he gets his shit together, that's what big brothers are for.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
My best tip would be. Find someone smart to help him. Don't do it yourself.

From what I've picked up from your posts around here.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Well he seems to be going through that teen angst phase.
I would let him be and learn it the hard way. Then you could tell him you told him so.
That's a win-win.
Hmm, I think you need to go spastic at him. It seems that reasoning with him in a dignified matter hasn't worked, now he needs to be hit with the truth and consequences of his lifestyle (whatever that may be).

Maybe he needs to go see someone about the ''father'' thing, it seems like that could have ****ed him up quite a bit.

All I can think of, sorry.
Quote by bradulator
Punch him until he gets his shit together, that's what big brothers are for.

I don't want to hit him. I used to hit him once in a while two years ago when I had a really bad temper and he pissed me off. It kind of scarred him and scarred me as well. I don't want to do that.

The reasoning is that our dad beat our mom, and we both know that. That's why it was an issue.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Oh you're funny.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
Oh you're funny.

Yes.
You might need to let him fail on his own or something. I don't see him changing based on what you've said. Make him live outside on the street for a while.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
i dont do so ell in scool either, but this is sad. hes got no motivation, and hes probably in that hormones going crazy "hrrrgh i aint doing shit" mode

help him in school if uve got time i gues...
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Now, without the mean attitude this might be a good idea. Try finding him an old teacher who would like to help him study. Just the fear of having to say he didn't do shit to a private teacher alone is already enough motivation to get to work.
Let him fail and see the consequences of his actions.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Maybe you should ask him what he wants to do with his life? Does he want to get married, have a good job, etc.? Or does he want he want to be a bum all his days? (Obviously, you probably shouldn't say it like that, but you get the point.)

I mean, it's not like the homework they give at 13 is demanding upon one's time...
Remember. Only you can prevent forest fires..

Just tell him that. It worked on me.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe you should ask him what he wants to do with his life? Does he want to get married, have a good job, etc.? Or does he want he want to be a bum all his days? (Obviously, you probably shouldn't say it like that, but you get the point.)

I mean, it's not like the homework they give at 13 is demanding upon one's time...

Are you saying you can't marry if you don't get good grades?
Quote by Metallicuh
Let him fail and see the consequences of his actions.

Came in here to say this. It's life. You learn from your mistakes.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Unless the kid is into those trashy women you see on Jerry Springer/Maury, he isn't going to find anyone that great.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Unless the kid is into those trashy women you see on Jerry Springer/Maury, he isn't going to find anyone that great.

Bullshit.

Is your brothers involved in any sports or arts? Maybe he's not a "brainer" and more of a sports guy or artsy guy. Does he have any hobbies that he's good at? If so, encourage him but still try to make him at least try half assed in school. School's not very hard to survive. And if he doesn't things will just be much worse afterwards.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Nov 28, 2011,
Help him find something he's interested in, to actually motivate him. Otherwise, just let him fail on his own, outline the consequences of his actions and what will happen if he doesn't straighten up and he should work himself out gradually. But under no circumstances do you let him piss around doing what he wants if he gets kicked out of school or whatever.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Bullshit.

Indeed.

Get him some help from a counselor or someone.
I failed twice (held back once, but the second time I was too old to stay a freshman so they pushed me along with 0 credits) and realize now that I was really retarded for letting that happen.
Maybe he's one of those people that do really poorly in school because they are actually geniuses and are just bored.

You should lay off your brother bro, he's a genius. Are you a genius? I didn't think so.
Quote by skylerjames13
Science: 24 %
Language Arts: 15%
Math: 24%
Social Studies: 38%
Phys Ed: 80%
Home Ec: 74%

What the **** do these things mean?

Science is kind of right, but shouldn't it be broken up into three separate sciences? "Language Arts" sounds ****ing weird, if it's one foreign language e.g. French can't they just call it that? Or have grades for each language he's doing? Unless I'm interpreting this wrong and it's actually English.

"Math" is almost right, but you forgot the S. I have no idea what Social Studies could be. If you're going to shorten "physical education", go the whole hog and call it "P.E.", not "Phys Ed". I'm guessing that "Home Ec" is cooking, but from the name it could be pretty much anything.

tl;dr: Americans have weird words
I remember when I was having trouble in school, my brother helped me get control of my grades again. I think you should just get a better relation with him. Try to get closer with him and show him you really care. I remember the last thing I wanted to do was to dissapoint my older brother so that and his support really pushed me to work harder again.
Quote by LRCGUITAR

Science is kind of right, but shouldn't it be broken up into three separate sciences? "Language Arts" sounds ****ing weird, if it's one foreign language e.g. French can't they just call it that? Or have grades for each language he's doing? Unless I'm interpreting this wrong and it's actually English.

"Math" is almost right, but you forgot the S. I have no idea what Social Studies could be. If you're going to shorten "physical education", go the whole hog and call it "P.E.", not "Phys Ed". I'm guessing that "Home Ec" is cooking, but from the name it could be pretty much anything.

tldr you're a stupid cunt.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
I remember when I was having trouble in school, my brother helped me get control of my grades again. I think you should just get a better relation with him. Try to get closer with him and show him you really care. I remember the last thing I wanted to do was to dissapoint my older brother so that and his support really pushed me to work harder again.

tl;dr take him fishing
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Hardly. But consider that, if you wish to support a family well, you need a good job. What's a good way to get a good job? Education, specifically a college degree. And to get a college degree, you need to get good grades. Once you have said college degree, your prospective employers will look at your grades. Do you think they'd hire the guy with a D average, who barely passed? No.

But if you want to work at McDonald's and make it harder on yourself to support your family, then don't get good grades.

Quote by LRCGUITAR
Do you really think the American Middle school system is so advanced that we have "Three Sciences" and multiple "Maths"? (Saying maths is considered terrible English, here across the pond, by the way.) Need I go on? TS's brother is in middle school. When he gets to high school, we can worry about "Maths" and "Sciences" and whatever other butcheries of the English language you brought up...
Right now, TS wants his brother's grades to go up. Don't complicate the situation with semantics.

Also, how does 24% and such confuse you? Students in the US are given percent grades. If I do well, I may get 95% or more. If I do poorly, I get less than 60%. What's to understand there?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by LRCGUITAR

Home economics.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Lugnaz987
Remember. Only you can prevent forest fires..

Just tell him that. It worked on me.

why would TS tell that to his brother? his brother can't prevent forest fires. only i can. Smokey the Bear told me, and Smokey the Bear wouldn't lie to me, now would he?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by skylerjames13

TL;DR: My friend ****ed a sheep who ****ed my brother.

So is this a meme now? I like it, maybe it'll discourage tl;dr (which always bugged me).

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Bullshit.

Is your brothers involved in any sports or arts? Maybe he's not a "brainer" and more of a sports guy or artsy guy. Does he have any hobbies that he's good at? If so, encourage him but still try to make him at least try half assed in school. School's not very hard to survive. And if he doesn't things will just be much worse afterwards.

It's not bullshit, to get a good job you need to do at least alright in school. And I don't care how good you are at playing guitar or whatever, if you're unemployed, living in cardboard shack, and eating out of dumpsters no chick's gonna be interested in you. Maybe that's an extreme example but you get my point.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
My brother is the same way. Doesn't do shit except play xbox and go to his friend's. Once we found out he had 5 zeros we took away the xbox, tv, and no friends. At that point, its either living in solitude with nothing to do or improve the grades. We check his Edline every day and stay on his ass about getting his work done. He knows the consequences if he doesn't do his work. Recently, he didn't do an assignment he swore to us he had finished in class, so we took all his clothes away and made him wear prep clothes to school. He's usually wearing jeans and Metallica/metal T-shirts which we don't have a problem with if he does his work. He knows if he lies or doesn't do his work his life will be a living hell. His grades have gone back up since we got onto him. Just make sure the very first thing he does when he gets home is his homework. Get him to do it every day and eventually it will become habit.
Quote by pugachev
My brother is the same way. Doesn't do shit except play xbox and go to his friend's. Once we found out he had 5 zeros we took away the xbox, tv, and no friends. At that point, its either living in solitude with nothing to do or improve the grades. We check his Edline every day and stay on his ass about getting his work done. He knows the consequences if he doesn't do his work. Recently, he didn't do an assignment he swore to us he had finished in class, so we took all his clothes away and made him wear prep clothes to school. He's usually wearing jeans and Metallica/metal T-shirts which we don't have a problem with if he does his work. He knows if he lies or doesn't do his work his life will be a living hell. His grades have gone back up since we got onto him. Just make sure the very first thing he does when he gets home is his homework. Get him to do it every day and eventually it will become habit.

That's just completely douchey on your part.

You would have made a great Nazi.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Do you really think the American Middle school system is so advanced that we have "Three Sciences" and multiple "Maths"? (Saying maths is considered terrible English, here across the pond, by the way.) Need I go on? TS's brother is in middle school. When he gets to high school, we can worry about "Maths" and "Sciences" and whatever other butcheries of the English language you brought up...
Right now, TS wants his brother's grades to go up. Don't complicate the situation with semantics.

In the UK and most of Europe, science is split up into biology, chemistry and physics.

Mathematics, it's plural.

We can't butcher the English language, we came up with it.

I'm not complicating anything, I'm just pointing out that Americans use some pretty weird words.

Also, how does 24% and such confuse you? Students in the US are given percent grades. If I do well, I may get 95% or more. If I do poorly, I get less than 60%. What's to understand there?

At what point did I say that percentile grades confuse me?
Quote by pugachev
ggg1 ggg3

The only thing you can do is try to help him understand how badly he's ****ing up. The problem with "let him fail and face the consequences" is that he doesn't have any idea what he's getting himself into and how much he's potentially limiting the rest of his life. If you don't learn to work in middle school you're ****ed when you go to high school, then you get bad grades and have a hard time getting into college. Just talk to him about work ethic, try to help him learn to take pride in his work.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Page 1 of 4