hey ug,

On the 5th string 5th fret it buzzes on my guitar. its the only spot where it does that so i expect its not the truss rod. ive adjusted the action and that didnt help. i even changed the string! i think it might be the nut but what do you guys think???
Either the 5th fret 5th string fret is low, or the 6th fret 5th string spot is high, or a smidge of both. Essentially it needs fretwork.
no. get a crowning file, read up on fret crowning, tape off the wood around the fret, file slightly, polish with 180, 220, 400, 600 grit sand paper and rub with steel wool to smooth it out. that's it. the fret file will be the most expensive part of the ordeal. The sandpaper you can get from a hardware store or go to your local autobody repair shop and ask them for a few scraps.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
no. get a crowning file, read up on fret crowning, tape off the wood around the fret, file slightly, polish with 180, 220, 400, 600 grit sand paper and rub with steel wool to smooth it out. that's it. the fret file will be the most expensive part of the ordeal. The sandpaper you can get from a hardware store or go to your local autobody repair shop and ask them for a few scraps.

+1 You don't need new frets, just a level and crown job. There's info on that all over the web, and you could do it yourself. Some people don't even use proper crowning files, they just use whatever little things they can find in their dad's garages: I've done it both ways, and using a real crowing file is far easier and the results are better, but if you're strapped for cash you can get away with using little jeweler's files and some sand paper.

I've even heard of people wrapping pencils/dowel rods in sandpaper and doing it that way, which would be an option if you litterally have no files around. Again, my recommendation lies with buying a file, especially if you're new to fret work.
Files are definitely needed if you are redoing all the frets, but buying a $45 tool is overkill to fix a single fret. You can probably get enough change by tapping on the 6th fret with a hammer. You only have to move it a tiny bit.

Of course, if the problem is the 5th being low, you'll be chasing it all the way to the high end of the fret board. That's too much hammering for reliable results!

Lifting the 5th fret is a bit more work, and runs a good chance of leaving marks on the fretboard. Just pry it up. Once you have lifted it a bit, put a drop of glue under the edge so it cant get pressed back down into the slot.

If the problem returns, seriously consider getting a real fret leveling done on the whole neck. The tech will probably notice your pry and glue job and swear at you, but it doesn't really make his job any harder.
take it to a guy, ask him to just fix the buzz at the 5th fret. if he's a reputable dude, he'll do it fast and cheap. if he's a money hungry douche, it'll cost you as much as the file LoL
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
This all depends on if it is actually the frets that are the issue. Are you tuned to standard E? What gauge strings Are you using? I had a guy bring me a guitar, he was tuning to B on a six string. And was using a seven string set of strings but taking out the middle(26) gauge string so he could have three wound and three straight. Basically a "light top, heavy bottom" set. And his fourth string buzzed at the fifth and sixth frets. It was a new esp, his backup Ltd did it as well. It was a simple change in string gauge that fixed the issue. And just to be sure, I would check to see if the truss rod needs adjustment.