Hi all.

I currently own a engl fireball but just lately when playing on the clean channel it has started making a were noise. Today I was with the band playing high gain high volume music when it was making a really loud rattling house, the more volume the louder the rattle.

I finally moved my amp to a chair behind the cab and it made no rattling noises.

What could be rattling, would it be the tubes, the holders? What else could it be?

Thanks
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
could be the tubes - make sure they are all seated (pushed down)

could be the tube retainers - get an oven mitt or something and press on the tube while playing and see what happens

i hate tube retainers. i remove them from all of my amps
Well I have had a look at it, and both the tubes and holders seem to be secure and tight, I couldn't budge them.

What else could it be?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Use a wooden spoon as a stethoscope and find that rattle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you said that when you lifted the amp off the cab and set it on a chair the rattle went away right?

i had that on my amp - it was the retainer. I removed them. you have to open the chassis often times to do this - which can be dangerous.

you may have what in the industry is called 'tube rattle' and that is the tube actually rattling. if that is the case you can try swapping the power tubes around or buy new tubes or just keep the amp off the cab.

^ - or what Cath said
Well I have taken all the pre amp tubes put, re seated them but can't try it till Monday.

What is the wooden spoon thing?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Quote by avenge the rage
Well I have taken all the pre amp tubes put, re seated them but can't try it till Monday.

He says bang on it till you find the source.....
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Quote by avenge the rage

Did you also reseat the power tubes? Those are the ones that usually make the most noise if loose!
The power tubes where not loose, couldnt budge them, and the holders are really awkward to get to. I did go round tapping the amp and there was a hollow kind of noise under the tubes where i can't get to.

I will try get the power tubes out too though.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
I've played a Fireball but didn't poke around in the back too much. Pics might help a bit.

Another thing you can try is to separate the amp head from the cab as far apart as possible.

You may need to use an instrument cable for a brief period of time (normally not recommended) but if you don't crank the amp and if it is only for a test - you'll be fine.

Then tap on the power tubes (and preamp tubes) with a pencil and see if you can hear the tapping coming through the speakers. If you can - then that tube is overly microphonic.

like this:
http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.mp4
Il take pics tomorrow, and Il try all this out within the next week. If it is the tubes are they easy to replace?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals: