Hello UG community, I hope this is the right place to put this.

Been listening to many electronic / hip hop music lately and I've been really interested in making trip hop / trance, the only "beat making software" that i master ATM is Reason but I've been thinking about trying on something else, any suggestions?

Just in case this help, i have as mayor influences Bjork and Portishead

Thanks
Anything that can host decent synths.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I've been using FL Studio for the last 5 months or so. Once you get your head around how everything connects, it's actually one of the most simple DAWs I've used.
Hosts any VSTi/DXi plugins too, and sample packs of .wav files for drum beats and whatnot.
Reason is a great program. it's lack of third party is the only draw back. I'm about Ableton for beat making but what ever floats your boat. Once you find one that works for you learn it inside and out.

Knowing your tools will make you a great beat writer not the software.
Anything you can work with honestly. I do a lot of stuff in garageband/logic but if you're looking for a new one and are willing to spend some money I'd go FL studio.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Does FL support VST already? If not, try cubase and some kind of VST Drum library, there's many different drum libraries you can buy. On top of my head there's the abbey road drums, steven slate, drumagon, and a lot more. Dont ever decide to go the loops way though