I'm a guitarist by training, but I recently took up bass in order to fill a spot in my friends' (somewhat) hard-rock band.

We played a local parade the other day, and my 25-watt Fender bass amp just didn't cut it. I maxed out the volume, and it was up to some EQ-fiddling to boost it enough to be heard.

I have a 30-watt Peavey Spyder guitar amp, and I haven't had an opportunity to run my bass through it at any decent volume to check it out yet and see if I love too much low end.

Suggestions for a new amp? I don't need specific models, but what kind of power do you think would do the trick for me without being excessive, what with the high-school-student budget and all. Or do you think the guitar amp would hold the bass tone well enough for the job?

Any knowledge is appreciated!
Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"

The name's Zach!
Last edited by pokerjoker93 at Nov 28, 2011,
No, that guitar amp is not going to come close to cutting it.
You need bare minimum 100W bro; look for used Peaveys. They're tough and inexpensive for the sound and power.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Don't run it through a guitar amp; guitar amps aren't designed for bass frequencies, and it may damage the speaker.
It WILL damage the speaker, at 30 watts it's really no different than 25 watts, and maxing it will be BAD. What's your real budget, there is rich and poor HS students. Generally a Used Peavey, GK, Ashdown, bigger Fender
You can pick up a new Acoustic B100 100w for like $250, but you have to get them at Guitar Center.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
You can pick up a new Acoustic B100 100w for like $250, but you have to get them at Guitar Center.

If you want new combos are good, but wayyy heavy usually. I'd say I have a pretty good head, the GK MB200, it's 2 pounds 200 watts and $250 new, You ca find a used 2x10 or 1x15 cheap usually, 4 ohms for 200 watts, 8 for 100-120 watts. I also have a Peavey Mark IV head which is 200-300 watts and like 2 million pounds, got it for $40, and broke it in eagerness to get it home, but my break was simple, But since I had to dismantle it, I am doing some maintenance work to get it up and going to survive to see another millennium.
Ok, so bigger amp, minimum 100 watts. Not a guitar amp.

I've got around a hundred bucks left, and this'll be going on my Christmas list, without a doubt. So I have maybe two to three hundred to play with, depending on a lot of things.

What about combo vs head and speaker separately? Does the wattage of the head have to equal the speaker, or what's the deal with that?
Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"

The name's Zach!
Newer combos (last 20 years) around 200 watts are nice, after that in age or high wattage, they tend to be very heavy and cumbersome, and only worthwhile if the money is right.

Heads need to match the ohms and be matching or better yet, under the cab. my head runs at 4 ohms and 200 watts, my cab needs to be 4 ohms and 200+ watts to handle full power. 200 watts should give you a perfect amount of headroom and power. If you have excess gear or anything, craigslist it or otherwise to save up, maybe sell your amp you have now. extra cash goes a long way in insuring quality.
So, as this may be an option, let's say I can get my hands on a Peavey Mark III head.

What are you (anyone's) thoughts on this model?

What would be an ideal cabinet for small/medium-sized venues, occasionally outdoors (like the parade last week)? I don't NEED a specific model (unless you think it would help), just the general specs to look for is fine.

Is this a set-up I could lug around for practices as well, or should I keep my 25-watt around for that?

Again, any knowledge is welcome, as it's more than I have. I'm here to learn!
Quote by Survivalism

The name's Zach!
Last edited by pokerjoker93 at Nov 29, 2011,
a mark III is a good amp, combined with a 2x10, 4x10 or 1 or 2 1x15's would be good, just get a cab that can handle the ohms and watts or split the load across several cabs
Thank you so much for the help, I'll keep all this in mind going forward.

God bless Texas!
Quote by Survivalism

The name's Zach!
Just as an aside, check out the FAQ at the top of the forum. There's a really great section on amplification that is extremely helpful.

My advice is to try to save up a bit of cash and get above the 100W - 125W level. Yeah, it sounds excessive, but I lived playing gigs for two years with a 150W biamped Ampeg that really didn't cut it. Frankly, I wouldn't look at anything less than 200W.
oh wait, did the mark III not get above 200? I know when I was looking Din said doom players loved them, so I assumed they got loud, or at least could handle a good cab load.