Everyone has a tone they're looking for so while we're at it, what is your holy grail tone? What just does it and then some? To go a little farther, how do you get it if you found it?

Currently, I dig John Mayer clean tones and the killer overdrives he gets in some of his covers. Example: Wait Until Tomorrow off of The JM Trio record. Yes a lot of the tone is how you play but as far as gear is concerned... I enjoy a good stompbox, but I feel like amps always do it better. There are 2 amps I have actually tried that effortlessly got that driving lead sound that you hear on the records: the Britain 3.0 and the Bogner Brixton. All the live stuff I found online is a lot more Fenderish (I know he uses Two-Rock, probably for almost all his cleans). Of course a strat is essential as well.
The tone I get from my Strat after I switched the second tone pot to control the DiMarzio PAF I have in the bridge. That tone. Doesn't even matter where I have it set, it just sounds gooooood.
Cranking your amp always sounds good.

A proper amp that is.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I love John Mayer's tone, the way he uses it just sounds like he's f*cking his guitar sometimes and it's moaning. For me though, it's gotta be the super distortion in the bridge of my Ibanez S with any amount of dirt. Everything sounds good through that
For me it would have to be the late Stevie Ray Vaughan. I am becoming more and more obsessed with getting his fat, deep, slightly over driven sound. He had such an awesomely huge sound. It's really unfortunate that it's only been in the last 3 months long after I already bought some gear that I found that I really want his tone in particular so I don't have any money to get the gear...yet. But to do it with a reasonable budget I will be doing it with a Samamp VAC23, Fender Players Deluxe Strat, 2 Tube screamers (Luther Drive and Texas Flood for a fatter tone), my Moreley mini wah and some kind of fuzz pedal.
i have acheived my perfect overdrive scenerio, Splawn Pro-Mod and Splawn Nitro ran in stereo. Nitro w/ 4 V30's and Pro Mod with two T75's and an Eminence 15" Legend. line them up and it is amazing. i have the near perfect clean tone with this older Ampeg combo that is just the right mixture of the Rolland JC and a fender twin. so by hooking the splawns together for the OD, and use the Ampeg for the cleans, i am good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think i have some bad news coming from the amps i strive for

I love SRV's tone, i think the greatest i've heard is the live version of Life Without You on the special edition of In Step. When he goes back into the solo after his speech. Oooh, so thick, so much sustain, plus one of the greatest solos i've heard!

Also a big fan of the John Mayer, one tone i really love in particular is on the Where the light is version of Belief. The warm clean, and the lead tones are swet, and then there's that one solo, i think he uses an octavia, it's such a weird tone, but sounds amazing! I can't think how else to describe it...

Then there, as someone may no doubt mention, Robben Ford, and his magical ODS.

So what i'm trying to say is, i want a Dumble
I get a great tone out of my Abbey and has served me well for many years of gigging.
However, I do have a JTM45 on the build list that I will build shortly with a Marshall Guv'nor Mk1, a Quadraverb and a Rangemaster built into the cabinet to get Beano and the ultimate tone ever produced by anybody ever - Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues" tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As far as the tone of other players that I really like, the tones tapped into by guys like Eric Johnson and Andy Timmons really do it for me. I like tones that are warm, full and airy. But
I've never explicitly tried to mimick their tones or the tones of other players in general, so I can't really address that. I did, however, get the Mesa Lonestar Classic and Xotic BB Preamp partly under the influence of Timmons.

As far as *my* tone, I think I've developed a pretty clear idea of what my preferences are and have been more pleased than ever with the tone I've been producing in the past year. The Lonestar Classic (with both channels always running at 100w) definitely is a part of that.

I prefer the warmth of 6l6 tubes, and more generally, "American" sounds over "British" ones (the Brit sound is just too bright or harsh for my taste). I like my EQ to be fairly round and heavy in the mids, but with strong attack (bolstered by the fact that my favorite pickup selection on the Jem are the split single-coil sounds). In most situations, I don't like how my guitar sounds with the volume knob all the way up (seems overly compressed often), so I tend to keep it at 8 or 9 as my "max". The same goes for the tone knob - I rarely have it all the way up. I also keep some delay on almost all the time (in the FX loop) for the ambience and how it seems to fatten the sound.

I've learned that I don't like that much pre-amp distortion (particularly with really high-output pickups going into the amp, so I keep pre gain low while cranking the master more), and with overdrive I don't need as much gain as I used to think I did. For dirt, I like low to moderate overdrive from a transparent pedal (that preserves the natural sound of the guitar well - the BB has been perfect for this) pushing an amp with good headroom - occasionally stacked with a channel that already has a little bit of dirt going on. Yes, I do sometimes use the 2nd channel of the Lonestar, but rarely by itself. I like how it sounds when the gain is low, almost clean, and the BB pushes it more.

Basically, my approach is to get as fat and sustainful of a sound as possible without having to increase gain too much (this is where the mid-boosting and delay comes in) and while preserving the original signal as much as possible.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by bpdeem
Everyone has a tone they're looking for so while we're at it, what is your holy grail tone? What just does it and then some? To go a little farther, how do you get it if you found it?

Currently, I dig John Mayer clean tones and the killer overdrives he gets in some of his covers. Example: Wait Until Tomorrow off of The JM Trio record. Yes a lot of the tone is how you play but as far as gear is concerned... I enjoy a good stompbox, but I feel like amps always do it better. There are 2 amps I have actually tried that effortlessly got that driving lead sound that you hear on the records: the Britain 3.0 and the Bogner Brixton. All the live stuff I found online is a lot more Fenderish (I know he uses Two-Rock, probably for almost all his cleans). Of course a strat is essential as well.

yeah i was hitting a similar vibe the other day. turned up my lead channel, backed off the gain to about 9 o'clock, and turned down my guitar volume a bit. that was rhythm. then for solo stuff i turned my guitar volume up. awesome creamy leads.
i have a basic tone that i have been working on over the years. can't really describe it though as well it's mine and not an effort to get someone elses tone. don't think i'll ever perfect it as i think tone is something that can always be a little better. seems like it is a little inconsistent as well. some days it's great right from the start others it's like did evil gremlins must be tinkering with my amp cus it just isn't there today.

my gear philosophy is a little different as well. i tend to buy gear not because it already has my tone but more because i think it can be found in there somewhere. does this backfire on me, yeah occasionally but i enjoy the adventure so to speak. i try to keep an open mind.

i've never tried to chase another players tone. sure there are plenty that i love but when i was younger i didn't have "rock star" equipment so i figured no way i'm gonna sound like any of these guys. i also figured that those guys were great because they had there own sound and style. with that in mind i figured that if i wanted to be great that i had to do the same. well i'm not great but i did learn a lot about getting tones out of whatever i was using and play like me.
Got some really great stuff going in here! Inspiring to say the least!

Yeah, I reference the JM tone not necessarily because I want that tone, but because he seems to find that warm buttery goodness that I've got in my head. Just getting close to that would probably be inspiring enough for me to play on for a very long time in a state of pure bliss! I'd most likely run a little dirtier than he does though. I like a little grit and grind on tap if the feel of what I'm playing asks for it.