I recently received a POD UX2 as a gift. This is great because I've always wanted to learn how to record music. I am also taking a recording class from my university as an elective. I've talked to a few students and they say the instructor uses the program Reason. I don't know anything about any of the interfaces, I just know its cost, which is 299. I am not complaining, it just a matter of being able to afford it. I can use the work stations/studio at my school, but I don't believe I can get an at-home version from my school.

Anyway, I'll save up if I have to, but should I invest in Reason because its what my instructor will be using, or can I buy a cheaper version just to mess around with at home? I really know nothing about recording, but I will give any extra information I can.
Depends on what your going for; are you going to record as a hobby or a bit more seriously? Also, what you want to record is a factor. Are you planning on using both live audio and midi or just one of them?
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma.

Quote by one vision
Why not chromatics? Chromatic harmony was the "new thing" in the romantic era.
Quote by BassFishin
Problem:
Fish isn't meat.
Quote by CodeMonk
Pics or its a DS-1
Audacity is a free DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, which is what you are looking for). Audacity is generally fairly good for beginners, but also a little limited in what it can do and quality. Reaper is a good DAW that you can check out. There is a full demo version for free, and then if you like it, you can buy it, and it only costs $60.

Reason has some pretty cool effects, simulators and a pretty intuitive user interface, but if you're looking for something cheap to begin with, I would go with Reaper.
i run reaper, and i really enjoy it. coupled with some vst's, and you've got a more than decent sound. plus, there's tons of free vst's. right now, i legally downloaded all of the vst's for free, and the guitar tone im getting from them is better than any solid state amp out there, imo.

plus, there's multitudes of free intro to recording guides right here on UG. good luck.
Quote by BlackNapkin
Depends on what your going for; are you going to record as a hobby or a bit more seriously? Also, what you want to record is a factor. Are you planning on using both live audio and midi or just one of them?

For the semester I will be putting a lot of effort into it, and I will practice as much as I can afterwards, but my school only offers one recording class. Its not my major, so I guess this would fall into hobby territory. From the course description, it seems that I will be using both live audio and midi.
Quote by chaosmoon
Audacity is a free DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, which is what you are looking for). Audacity is generally fairly good for beginners, but also a little limited in what it can do and quality. Reaper is a good DAW that you can check out. There is a full demo version for free, and then if you like it, you can buy it, and it only costs $60.

Reason has some pretty cool effects, simulators and a pretty intuitive user interface, but if you're looking for something cheap to begin with, I would go with Reaper.

Quote by pedromiles101
i run reaper, and i really enjoy it. coupled with some vst's, and you've got a more than decent sound. plus, there's tons of free vst's. right now, i legally downloaded all of the vst's for free, and the guitar tone im getting from them is better than any solid state amp out there, imo.

plus, there's multitudes of free intro to recording guides right here on UG. good luck.

I was actually looking into reaper. I don't mind spending money, its just the availability of it. $299 may be out of my reach when it comes time for the course. As I know nothing of recording software, so I don't know how the transition will be from what I learn in class to what I do at home.
Reason is pretty different from Reaper and is mainly used to create electronic music. If you need Reason, you can most likely get it at a very discounted rate (along with all the other DAWs out there) since you're a student, but if you want to primarily focus on recording live audio, I would look into a different software such as Reaper, Cubase, Pro Tools, Studio One, Logic, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Reason is a good starting off place to get into it and have fun without being weighed down by a step learning curve and lots of technical details - although it is created around the concept of looking like a pile of real analog gear.
Other DAW´s, like Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase etc... will look quite different than Reason
Keep in mind that Reason can only record audio if it´s used in conjunction with another product from Propellerheads - which is called Record...
Reason alone can not record audio (at least the last time I used it)

Best wishes,
Derk
I messed about with REASON but feel it's mostly for midi keyboards/electronic stuff not guitar recording... It also looked bizarre to me. Reaper is my main DAW for Guitar recording.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
With the release of Reason 6 they have now fully integrated Record into Reason so it can be used as a stand alone DAW now. The draw back for some is that it does not support VSTs but for myself I find that Reason comes with more than enough features that I find that a minor issue. Plus the program is extremely stable and will run extremely well even on a system that meets the minimum requirements.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Who uses reason for recording???

Tell your tutor hes doing it wrong, Pro Tools, Logic plox.

You dont want audacity, no where near powerfull enough. Reaper is a good starting point.