So right now, I have a Peavey 6505+ and an oversized Marshall cabinet, the MF400 which comes with the Celestion G12K-100's in it. I'm a big Vintage 30 fan, so I immediately took the speakers out and put in 4 Vintage 30 speakers. I immediately noticed that ALL my bottom end was gone.

Now this confuses me, because its extremely common for people to run 6505's through oversized Mesa cabs with Vintage 30's. Now I've never tried this, as I'm still saving money to buy one of those cabs, but if people were having issues with Vintage 30's in an oversized cab, it wouldn't be as common as it is.

So my question is, is putting V30's in a Mode Four cab any different than putting them in an oversized Mesa cab? The sizes are VERY similar, but I don't see how the superior quality of the Mesa cab is going to provide that much more bass response than the Marshall using the same speakers. Does anyone run a 6505 through a rectifier cab and have any issues with bass response? I thought the Mesa cabs were supposed to have tons of bass, so why doesn't the Marshall?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Odd. I might stick two of the K100s back in.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i can't directly answer you, but i kinda can. i have a oversize Mesa cab. i have a regular/biggish Peavey cab with K85's (identical to K100's just changed the name because they realized they could increase the power handling.

the KT's have a lot fatter bottom, and can get a little bit muddier in an odd way, but maintain good clarity. V30's have that extreme mid-range punch to them that cuts through really well.
same amp same settings, very different.

now i have one cab that i got two more K100's and mixed the V30 cab with them in an X. sounds better than ever.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would try putting 2 k100s back in in an x pattern
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
It must be the cab cause when I run my 6505+ into my Mesa 4x12 with v30 It has a alot of bass.

I have to reEq my amp to bass at 9 to 10.
I already put the G12K's back in a long time ago, and I'm well aware of the differences in speakers. I just want to know why the same speakers sound different in similar cabs or if they even sound different at all. Because I really want a Mesa cab with Vintage 30's, but if its going to sound the way my Marshall did with the speakers, then forget about it!
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i can't directly answer you, but i kinda can. i have a oversize Mesa cab. i have a regular/biggish Peavey cab with K85's (identical to K100's just changed the name because they realized they could increase the power handling.

the KT's have a lot fatter bottom, and can get a little bit muddier in an odd way, but maintain good clarity. V30's have that extreme mid-range punch to them that cuts through really well.
same amp same settings, very different.

now i have one cab that i got two more K100's and mixed the V30 cab with them in an X. sounds better than ever.

My fave blend