Hey guys,
For a VERY LONG time, I have been looking for a guitar tone.
I know what I want and I know how it sounds I just don't think I know what its called or the effects that make it so.
So I was looking around on youtube and I finally found a very small section were the tone is shown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yCXOX6DII&feature=related
If you skip over to 1:26 were the lead part starts, THAT'S THE TONE I WAS LOOKING FOR.
That kind of stereo sound were it sounds as if the sound is coming from every were.
Does any one know how you can get such a tone? what effects are needed? or at least whats it called so that I can get more info on it?

Thanks a lot
Quote by GV8
Hey guys,
For a VERY LONG time, I have been looking for a guitar tone.
I know what I want and I know how it sounds I just don't think I know what its called or the effects that make it so.
So I was looking around on youtube and I finally found a very small section were the tone is shown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yCXOX6DII&feature=related
If you skip over to 1:26 were the lead part starts, THAT'S THE TONE I WAS LOOKING FOR.
That kind of stereo sound were it sounds as if the sound is coming from every were.
Does any one know how you can get such a tone? what effects are needed? or at least whats it called so that I can get more info on it?

Thanks a lot

From what I can tell most of the tone seems to be delay/reverb. Unfortunatly, there are a lot of musicians all playing at once, and some of that reverb could be coming from the room. A lot of it is also his guitar, amp, pickups, etc... which is thousands of dollars of gear.

From watching the video I am having trouble figuring who is playing what, and when.

Keep this in mind also. Ted Nugent toured with Eddie at one point; this is when Van Halen wasn't that famous, they were opening for Ted. Anyway, Ted was listning to Eddie play and he was blown away by his tone (this was during sound check I think). When he was done, Ted asked Eddie's tech to plug him into the rig. When he did, the tone sounded nothing like what Eddie was playing. A lot of the tone simply came from the way Eddie plays.

I am getting at this; there are too many factors to replicate that specific tone. If it was a studio setting, it might be easier to discern, but with all that jazz going on, its going to be hard to figure out who is doing what. Start out with some delay and reverb, then go from there.
Last edited by Kenjisan231 at Nov 29, 2011,
EDIT: Here is what he is known for using

Peavy 5150 amp
charvel guitar
MXR pedals(phase and flanger)

I'm am bad with amp history, but I don't think they make the 5150 anymore. However, the nice folks at Peavy make the 6505, which is supposed to emulate the 5150. You can get the 6505 in combo and head form. The 60W combo is around 599, the head is around 1200 (I think).

This will at least get you in the right direction. Its likely you can get somewhere near what that sounds like.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure David Gilmour was playing at 1:26, not Eddie Van Halen
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by British Josh
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure David Gilmour was playing at 1:26, not Eddie Van Halen

Like I said, **** if I know who is playing at 1:26, I assumed it was Eddie and my second choice was Gilmour. Go look up his guitar rig and help the guy instead of correcting me. I don't care who is playing to be honest, I was trying to help him, which is why I looked up Eddies rig after my schpeel.
the peavey 6505 IS the peavey 5150. they are exactly identical
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
And EVH didn't use a Peavy 5150 back then.

Gilmour uses Hiwatt amps and has a ridiculous pedalboard/rack setup.
http://www.gilmourish.com/
Sounds to me like his standard tone. Hiwatt, strat, some delay and maybe some chorus.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Kenjisan231
Like I said, **** if I know who is playing at 1:26, I assumed it was Eddie and my second choice was Gilmour. Go look up his guitar rig and help the guy instead of correcting me. I don't care who is playing to be honest, I was trying to help him, which is why I looked up Eddies rig after my schpeel.

Don't act so defensive.

TS, He uses a chorus effect but with a very low to zero modulation efffect, just to make it more "stereo" if you will.

He's uses EMG single coil pickups. You can get the sound by having single coils, and pumping up the mids high. This I think contributes most to that tone. A strat sound fattened up to almost the standards of a bucker.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 29, 2011,