Hey EG!

I have decided to take the happy plunge and pick up my first Electric guitar! I'm a beginner and little of the knowledge I had when I was younger is gone, but I'm excited and can't wait to find the one that says, take me home! Obviously I got some way to go as I'm a beginner, but hey you gotta start somewhere right?For several weeks now (though I've been wanting to do this for a while now) I've been trying to get the lingo down and reading as much as possible to learn the different styles and types of what's available. I've been saving up for this for a little while, it's a Christmas present. I'm going to be making a trip out of town tomorrow to try out a bunch of guitars, I respect all of your opinions so hopefully the stores in the area will carry models you all suggest.

Price range of $800-$1800, that includes an amp, stand, etc.etc. Looking for something new but open to used.
Bands/music prefs... classic, hard rock, alternative... to name some bands, GunsNRoses, Nirvana, the Perfect Circle, Queen, Alice in Chains, (some Metallica too) I also like the Cranberries and others like that as well.

I've been looking at: LP Studio Faded, LP Studio 60's Tribute (or 50's), LP Studio Swirl, & the DBZ Bolero AP Plus. Open to other brands of course!

One that I've been really fancying is the Studio Swirl... it's also more expensive than the $1319.00 models.. (with only a few differences) so I know it's mostly cosmetic price. Being inexperienced and not really having a grasp of pickups yet I can't even say which ones I prefer....

Here are a couple of amps I've been recommended and have been looking at...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg-series-mg30cfx-30w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-g-dec-3-thirty-30w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and any suggestions on what else I can look at would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by hazeldream at Nov 29, 2011,
If you're looking at LP shapes have a look at the ESP/LTD Eclipse/EC range. They're thinner than the Gibson LP, so if you don't want the chunkiness and weight they're a better choice. They're also usually more reasonably priced. You're standard Eclipse is more geared towards the heavier side of things (One of James Hetfield's signature models is essentially an Eclipse), as it usually comes with EMG pick ups. But both Gibson and ESP offer alternative pups for both guitars.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/eclipse2.html
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-series.html
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-distressed/ec-series.html
Hello hazel and welcome! With a budget like that you could afford just about anything (so jealous btw!)!

From the sound of your post, you seem most interested in a Les Paul, which is a good choice since you have fairly eclectic musical tastes and the LP is a very versatile guitar.

Back to your budget... you could honestly afford two pretty nice instruments. A LP is a good choice and then maybe something along the lines of a Schecter or ESP for the heavier stuff. And don't forget that your guitar is only half the sound, amp choice is also very important. A Line 6 Spider or a Roland Cube would be good. Definitely something with onboard effects to keep it simple.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Riff Raff
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
Grab a nice guitar and an amp no more than $150. Learn with that amp and try out as many nice ones as you can until you find something that you groove with in a price-range that you're comfortable with. You'll understand how to test out the amps more when you have started with a cheap one anyway. Good cheap amps to start with are the Peavey and Roland models.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

i love LP's but i didnt like gibsons quality on their stuidos they felt so light and not like the other ones like there standard les pauls or even epiphones lps i liked better and the roland cube is a very awesome amp and cheap im not so sure about the spider but i liked my marshall mg so you basically just need to go and play to see what you really like
Stay away from low end line 6 and marshall amps, maybe pick up a Tweaker or a Blackstar ht 20 or 40.

quick edit, there is a reason for this, to start with you will hear the amp, but not the tone, quicker than people care to admit a low end amp will not satisfy you.
I can vouch for esp/ltd, if you want a gibson, Don't get a low end one, but epiphone, ibanez, some fenders, will suit your needs .
Last edited by Lespauljames at Nov 29, 2011,
Actually the 60s tributes are awesome for the cash. I reccomend one over the regular lp studio. Try get one used so you can have more of a budget for your amp.

Cause your choices both suck. And amp is the most important part of your tone. Get a guitar you like the feel of, as pickups can always be upgraded.

Look into wether you want valves or modeling. Valves sound better in general, but modelers are more beginner friendly, as your taste in music and styles you want to play may change, so you can experiment with different sounds and effects without investing too much money.

Have a look into traynor ycv, laney vc/vh/tt/gh, vht classic, vox ac15/ac30, mesa f30/f50, blackstar ht, peavey delta/classic for valve amps.

Vox VT, Fender Mustang, Roland Cube, line 6 vetta/flextone for modeling amps.
find a used Mesa Mk .IV combo i have seen them for <$1100 used, and pick up a LP studio used. the Mark isn't necessarily the easiest amp to set the EQ and find your tone and what not, but it will keep you pretty satisfied.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i would suggest a paul reed smith tremonti se for the guitar and a vox vt 20+..great midrange gear that will play good enough for a long time.. and if you end up not getting into it you dodnt invest nearly as much
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the MA is terrible. a valve king sounds better (obviously they are voiced different).

It's NOT what I would have purchased for myself - I would have gotten either an AC30 or a Fender HR Deville, or maybe a Peavey Delta Blues.

Just thinking the TS would want something with higher gain
Quote by halfj06
i would suggest a paul reed smith tremonti se for the guitar and a vox vt 20+

He has a much higher budget........

Not going into recommending guitars because I haven't tried many over the $700 range

But for amps, even though you could get a nice tube amp, I'd say to start with a modeling so you know what sound you're going for. The GDECs are good, kinda like the mustangs but with backing tracks which are pretty nice.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
For an amp I would definitely say go with a modeling amp. You don't want to get a tube amp right away. Without knowing much about tone it would take to long to find the sweet spot, plus they don't sound as good at bedroom volumes. Line 6 is crap. The Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix and Fender Mustang are all very decent sounding solid state amps that have effects built in.
mesa mark IV used and use remainder for whatever guitar you want should have enough for nonfaded used studio. the marks are the most versatile amps around IMO.

that would cap your $1800, but IMO that will be the best
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by jose1216
i love LP's but i didnt like gibsons quality on their stuidos they felt so light and not like the other ones like there standard les pauls or even epiphones lps i liked better and the roland cube is a very awesome amp and cheap im not so sure about the spider but i liked my marshall mg so you basically just need to go and play to see what you really like

That's the first time I've heard a LP called light. The studios are no lighter than the other models. And studios are real players.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Quote by dragoro
That's the first time I've heard a LP called light. The studios are no lighter than the other models. And studios are real players.

Gibson LP's have specs and tolerance for the weight, they however they can vary alot. also remember that chambering started coming around some time in the last decade as well as the "weight relieving" (don't know how long ago that one came around).

studios will very the most.

once you get to standard or traditional or something i have noticed that they are more consistent with weight.

but pretty much every Gibson LP in current has either "weight relief" or are "chambered".

i have two chambered LP's and one is still three pounds more than the other.

i have a few guitars heavier than my LP's too although.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have a few dbz's and for the $ they are fantastic. Everyone that plays my imperial is highly impressed. Unless you just have to have the lp shape you should ck it out. The bolero is very nice too but there's something special about the imperial and I've had a few lp's to compare it to and imho its better than any lp I have had. I also think a good tube amp is your best bet. That and a few select pedals will get you anywhere you want to go. The voxnight train or ac4 are good sounding as are the blackhearts. The ac4 has built in attenuation so you can manage the volume and if you choose your pedals wisely you can play any of the music you mentioned. I did the modeling thing or a while. Not impressed
Dude, Telecaster, get a TELECASTER. T-E-L-E-caster.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by halfj06
i would suggest a paul reed smith tremonti se for the guitar and a vox vt 20+..great midrange gear that will play good enough for a long time.. and if you end up not getting into it you dodnt invest nearly as much

Excellent choice for the beginner. Very decent stuff without splurging the money.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+