I got sick of 9v batteries so after a bit of scoping out power supply's for the last few weeks i manned up and went and got a 'powertech plus MP 3484 9vDC 1.67A' unit.

The guy in the shop was a real wank and when i tried to explain what i had read on forums about how apparently having too many amps is fine as long as the volts are right and it's not under powered, the pedal will sort it out. he just sort of disregarded this and rambled on with heaps of stupid lingo but lead me to believewhat he had would work.

however he really just confused me a bit, it has 7 interchangeable plugs, more than one seems to fit into the daisy chain (i run a Boss fuzz, dunlop cry baby and a Boss-clone delay btw) so i don't know what one to use, theres a blue tip, and a black tip that fit, plus a heap of red and yellow ones of various sizes that don't, what do all the colours mean is another question?

and finally, when in connect everything up, the amp just thumps continuously and the pedals don't power up- hope they aren't fried... any help?
Yeah you need to make sure the polarity is correct. Check if your pedals use a center-negative or center-positive plug and don't use the reverse.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I don't know if the power supply will work or not, and from your post, it appears you don't either. That said, are you TRYING to fry all your gear? No? Then why are you gambling with it? Go buy a proper power supply from a recognized source....
here's the deal on pedals...the voltage is the same no matter what because voltage is just the electrical potential, i.e. the power being put out--what goes out comes back to the wall socket. What IS important is the current getting to your pedals and amp, (the current is in Amperes), which is the actual electricity supply to your pedals. By using a daisy chain you are "wiring" your pedals in series, which isn't really a big deal for a few pedals, but if your playing David Gilmour or the Edge's rig, you'd definitely need something different, as the current gets smaller and smaller your pedal will start to sound like a dying elephant. If this is your situation i recommend a power brick by dunlop, which supplies the same current to all your pedals and allows you to plug into separate outlets for each pedal. I think it uses a transformer (that's where i stopped paying attention in physics lol) to generate the same potential and amperage to each pedal.
As for your amp situation, doesn't sound good. You can try a power conditioner to readjust the current and voltage to let your amp perform at optimum activity, but if it is getting less or more than it requires you could be doing serious damage to your amp (just ask Van Halen what happened to his marshalls after running them on low voltage using a variac). Anyways, best of luck, I feel your pain.
I don't know if the power supply will work or not, and from your post, it appears you don't either. That said, are you TRYING to fry all your gear? No? Then why are you gambling with it? Go buy a proper power supply from a recognized source....

This isn't helpful. I do know the supply should work, i wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

here's the deal on pedals...the voltage is the same no matter what because voltage is just the electrical potential, i.e. the power being put out--what goes out comes back to the wall socket. What IS important is the current getting to your pedals and amp, (the current is in Amperes), which is the actual electricity supply to your pedals. By using a daisy chain you are "wiring" your pedals in series, which isn't really a big deal for a few pedals, but if your playing David Gilmour or the Edge's rig, you'd definitely need something different, as the current gets smaller and smaller your pedal will start to sound like a dying elephant. If this is your situation i recommend a power brick by dunlop, which supplies the same current to all your pedals and allows you to plug into separate outlets for each pedal. I think it uses a transformer (that's where i stopped paying attention in physics lol) to generate the same potential and amperage to each pedal.
As for your amp situation, doesn't sound good. You can try a power conditioner to readjust the current and voltage to let your amp perform at optimum activity, but if it is getting less or more than it requires you could be doing serious damage to your amp (just ask Van Halen what happened to his marshalls after running them on low voltage using a variac). Anyways, best of luck, I feel your pain.

Yeah bro, I got the 1.67A 'cause i only have 3 pedals so i figured that would leave me with tonnes of juice for a couple more if i ever find a use for them. (what does your average pedal use, 150-200 mA?) at this stage there is pretty much zero hum so i figure that means they're all tanked up on enough magic beans.

Yeah you need to make sure the polarity is correct. Check if your pedals use a center-negative or center-positive plug and don't use the reverse.

+35 internets to you! i think this is what the shop keeper was trying to say, but he said it in the most shit yarn manner. thanks a lot, all is working now.
the dunlop isn't isolated. look for a voodoo lab or BBE supacharger. i have the BBE. $100 on eBay new last time i checked.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm good. went for a wall plug and a daisy chain since i'm pretty poor these days, i don't have enough pedals for isolation to be an issue.