So here's the deal, i have got a pretty old but kinda decent Aria guitar, that is, if the bridge would have been seriously adjusted, it buzzes and i have to press the strings way to hard, so playing fancy jazz chords or quick stuff isnt very handy dandy.

Now i am saving money for a new guitar so messing this one up (a little) wouldnt hurt too much. My guitarshop wants me too throw in something like 50$ to change the bridge, and i am like... all it takes is a screwdriver and some common sense, why not do it myself?

So basically the question is, why not doing it myself? If i'm not going to do it properly, which is probably gonna be the case lol, is it possible to damage the guitar beyond recognition? What should i be aware of? Etc
What kind of bridge is it? If it's a TOM/stoptail you can probably sort it out in 5 minutes. A strat-style might be a bit harder and an FR style is probably worth getting done professionally, unless you're willing to dedicate alot of time to it
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Last edited by Paddy McK at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by Paddy McK
What kind of bridge is it? If it's a TOM/stoptail you can probably swap it out in 5 minutes. A strat-style might be a bit harder and an FR style is probably worth getting done professionally

Had to google, turns out to be a stoptail
Do it yourself, it's really not hard at all.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by Paddy McK
What kind of bridge is it? If it's a TOM/stoptail you can probably sort it out in 5 minutes. A strat-style might be a bit harder and an FR style is probably worth getting done professionally, unless you're willing to dedicate alot of time to it

anything to change on a floyd rose is time consuming and usually quite annoying (at first try at least.) recently changed strings from .10's in e standard to 13's in drop b, worst couple of hours of my life, near the end you start to question whether life is even worth living

OT: no i doubt you could do any serious damage to it.
Last edited by menotbug at Nov 29, 2011,
In any situation like this, I always figure if you aren't sure, you should ask for help. Take it to your local guitar shop and get them to do it, but make sure they show you what to do so you can sort things out yourself in the future.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
In any situation like this, I always figure if you aren't sure, you should ask for help. Take it to your local guitar shop and get them to do it, but make sure they show you what to do so you can sort things out yourself in the future.

for $50 though? just seems a bit much, for a simple action adjustment. i doubt he could gain much more from a guitar tech than an online tutorial and some hands on experience, and like he said he's probably going to get a new guitar soon, i find learning with a cheap guitar you dont mind messing with the best choice imo.

Edit: just re-read, 50 to change the bridge? why do they want to change it? did you say can you just adjust the action to something reasonable maybe? and also, do they have no clue what they're doing, you actually need a new bridge, or they're just trying to sell some sucker something he doesnt need?
Last edited by menotbug at Nov 29, 2011,