Hey UG. Just looking for some input on which Marshall cabinet(s) would get me close to Zakk Wylde's tone. I'll be running the Marshall JVM 410 head, and I'm looking for the right cab to compliment it with a thick yet vintage tone. Thanks to all who can help!
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Thanks, I'd like to see if I can get close with an existing cabinet. Is a Greenback speaker a good choice to keep it thicker sounding?
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Yes, it is. Geenbacks are the speaker's equivalent of ceramic humbuckers, they are perfect for metal. But I'm sure Zakk is using custom-made speakers, and I'm also sure his guitar is a Gibson with an Epi logo, unlike the stock Epi ZW. And there's no way he would use an MG 50 DFX. So... the cab might be good, but you won't get as close to Zakk's sound as you wish. (I bet he's using a cable 2X more expensive than your amp, no offense, I'm just trying to give you a clue so you won't be disappointed when buying the cab, which is a good cab indeed.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Go with either the signature EV's or he basically was using a 200W EV's in his cabs for the bigger headroom and all they are a bright speaker from what I have heard. Had a buddy that loaded a B-52 cab with them. Sounded good but not quite like the Marshall cab.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
There's a BLS signature speaker made by Electro Voice, which is an offshoot of the the EVM12L. I don't really know how close the speakers are in terms of tone - no first-hand experience. But supposedly, they're pretty close. There's also the Eminence Delta Pro 12, which is a copy of the EVM12L that is a bit more affordable.

Basically, these speakers are a little weird and weren't originally intended for guitar, though many people seem to like them for it.

Basically, there's three ways to go about this.
1) Get the BLS sig, EVM12L or Delta Pro. That'd get you close, but it's expensive.
2) Try to find something that has some of the characteristics of the above, but that's actually intended for guitar and is cheaper. If you just want the crazy amount of low-end one of those speakers can produce, maybe look into a Celestion G12K100 or Eminence Swamp Thang. There's plenty more, mind you.
3) Just get something that gets a good rock-tone. Seriously, Wylde's tone isn't that outrageously different from everyone else's. Greenbacks are nice, but don't handle much power. Personally, I like Eminence Private Jacks or even Legend GB12s better (not because they sound better, but because they take more abuse before blowing out).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 29, 2011,