Page 1 of 5
as in, if a different species(other than humans) were as mentally capable as us, would they develop religion after a certain point?

is a widespread belief in religion inevitable for any self-conscious, intelligent species?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Jawlytomtom
can anything be unnatural?

*gasp*

Quote by Jawlytomtom

Yup. The size of my schlong for example, or the weight of your mother.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Pretty sure ot's a learned custom.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by Jawlytomtom

I agree with this. The natural/unnatural divide is so stupid and non-existent.
Quote by AgainstYou
I agree with this. The natural/unnatural divide is so stupid and non-existent.

what i mean is: is it a result of nature or a learned custom as has been suggested?

Quote by jani92jani
isint god super natural?

Isn't God science fiction?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I'd suggest that there is a yearning of some sort in people to reach out to a god. Check out ancient civilizations around the world who independently chose to worship something/someone or the other. Even people today treat things and people as if they're "god-worthy"; celebs, technological gadgets...anything really. I see it a lot and think it's kinda sad.
Quote by Harvey Swick
what i mean is: is it a result of nature or a learned custom as has been suggested?

aren't we a part of nature? aren't our customs shaped by nature. Both our own 'nature' and our environment. It follows that everything is natural and cosistent with it's own nature.

wat?
Quote by Harvey Swick

What is nature? Everything is a result of nature.

EDIT:Ninja'd...

Ya jackass.

Seriously though, we said like the same thing just worded differently. Great minds...?
Last edited by AgainstYou at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by Trowzaa
Yup. The size of my schlong for example, or the weight of your mother.

Yeah, doctors didn't realise it was possible for a dick to be that small.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I'd say it's a result of human curiosity coupled with our limited knowledge of the universe. If another species possessed these traits, I think they, too, would develop religions.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I'd say it's a result of human curiosity coupled with our limited knowledge of the universe. If another species possessed these traits, I think they, too, would develop religions.

Pretty much what I came to say...except more concise.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I'd suggest that there is a yearning of some sort in people to reach out to a god. Check out ancient civilizations around the world who independently chose to worship something/someone or the other. Even people today treat things and people as if they're "god-worthy"; celebs, technological gadgets...anything really. I see it a lot and think it's kinda sad.

^what makes it sad? do you not do this?

ok, ok, everything is the result of nature and so is natural, but do you agree that all intelligent species who are self aware (for example an alien planet harboring intelligent life) are destined to, at some point, believe in a deity?

Quote by Harvey Swick
^what makes it sad? do you not do this?

oh yeah, I do it too. Didn't mean to make myself sound exempt/superior because I most certainly am not. Just the extent people go to sometimes; random eg: crazy teen girls go crazy and cry etc. when Biebs get a girlfriend

Quote by Harvey Swick

ok, ok, everything is the result of nature and so is natural, but do you agree that all intelligent species who are self aware (for example an alien planet harboring intelligent life) are destined to, at some point, believe in a deity?

Have you not seen Avatar?
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Nov 29, 2011,
try and at least recieve this semi serious. My self-depreciation is the result of insecurity.

What is nature? Is it natural to classify things as unnatural? What is an Erhuist? Who is that guy in AgainstMe's avatar? If everything thing is said to have it's own nature, it would be impossible for that creature to do something that is inconsistent with it's nature? If it is impossible for something to behave against it's nature does that mean there is no such thing as free will?
Quote by slash_GNR666
Isn't God science fiction?

No. Just plain fiction.
WHAT do you want?
It's currently thought that our brains are predisposed to believe in a higher power and form rituals based on it. It's also been suggested that if anything, atheism is unusual and should be studied, as a belief in god/etc appears logical based on how our minds are presumed to work. I'm inclined to believe that our brains are more likely to lean towards belief systems based on the reported research. I cba to find any articles though, but that doesn't stop you looking yourself.

edit: here's two links:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13983-religion-is-a-product-of-evolution-software-suggests.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126941.700-born-believers-how-your-brain-creates-god.html

(actually that last one is only a preview, found a full copypasta here )

there's been some neuroscience research as well, but I can't remember where I read about it.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Given the fact that there are millions of different religions around the world, I'd say yes it is. Until whatever animal you've had in mind finds a factual way to explain his existence and other shit, he'll use the supernatural to do so.

Also, whales seem to be quite smart. And they've developed music before they developed religion, so they might as well be smarter than us.
the fact that we can conceptualize God indicates to me that the answer is YES
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I think it's natural trying to explain things you can't understand, yes.
Define "natural".
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Religion is used as a mechanism to fill in the blanks of our knowledge. If there was another species that had the same thirst for answers, but at the same time such a limited understanding, religion would probably be one of the likely results.
Its natural for humans to try and exlain things they dont understand. It used to work great (god makes sun come up and sends the rain and so forth).

What is unnatural, is that people still cling on to religion, even tough we have scientific answers to those questions. Those kind of people disgust me.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Religion is used as a mechanism to fill in the blanks of our knowledge. If there was another species that had the same thirst for answers, but at the same time such a limited understanding, religion would probably be one of the likely results.

Quote by StewieSwan

Not sure if just a rewording so you don't have to + 1 me.
Quote by theguitarist
It's currently thought that our brains are predisposed to believe in a higher power and form rituals based on it. It's also been suggested that if anything, atheism is unusual and should be studied, as a belief in god/etc appears logical based on how our minds are presumed to work.

So what you are saying is that atheists are further along the evolutionary scale?

^ I didn't read the thread until just now. +1 if that makes you feel better you egotistical monster.
That's an interesting question, and I can't say that I have a thought out opinion on it. Based on some of my beliefs, the majority of me wants to say that sentient beings will innately look "higher" -- I think it's their virtue and nature. Whether it can always be classified as religious or not, well, I imagine that's a rather lengthy and complicated issue
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Thrashtastic15
^ I didn't read the thread until just now. +1 if that makes you feel better you egotistical monster.

superstition is natural. However if any other species had the knowledge of the universe/world that we possess now, it's very unlikely that it would develop a full fledged religion.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
So what you are saying is that atheists are further along the evolutionary scale?

A mutation. Let's give it a millennia and see how well it works out first before saying more.

/bastardised darwinism
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by technicolour
superstition is natural. However if any other species had the knowledge of the universe/world that we possess now, it's very unlikely that it would develop a full fledged religion.

Yeah, but they have to get there first, just like we did.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
You know religion is where basic morals that hold mankind together originated from. If it wasn't for them basically drilling these thoughts into your head we would probably be no different from animals, assuming that athiests are correct.

Is that a good or bad thing? Good and bad are also concepts made through religion that have adapted to the general mass media, so yeah. Thats my nihilistic view on things.

Quote by Thrashtastic15

Bigoted statements like this are what make me think athiests are just as dumb as people who have religious beliefs. Athiesm works like religion in that they act like tehy're religious (or nonreligious) beliefs are superior to everyone else. Basically you're not different than a christian bragging about getting into heaven for believing in god.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Nov 29, 2011,
I always looked at religion as a primitive way to explain phenomena that were beyond primitive humans understanding or control. Things like the sun, moon, changes in weather patterns and seasons, illness, drought, bad/good luck, rainbows, coincidences, deja-vu, and to help with dealing with death, etc. And since people attributed those things to one, or many higher powers they also attributed laws, morals and customs to those same higher powers too. For somebody in that time, they would feel more motivated to behave morally when some higher power encourages them to do so.

Then it kinda snowballed as people with different beliefs for why things happened interacted. They blended their beliefs, or one adopted the other, or one forced their beliefs on the others. Or one group allowed the others to continue their beliefs but under a new label and name to convince them to eventually convert after a few generations of assimilation.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by Thrashtastic15

This. People seek explanations and piety comes with the greatest benefits.

Have we found a primitive culture that is fully atheistic/irreligious? If not then that is a solid enough answer to the question of whether religious belief is natural or not.
Page 1 of 5