Hey guys, first let me say that I'm pretty inexperienced with the electronics side of guitar amps, so forgive me buuuuut....

Currently I use a Fender Deville 212. I have it connected from the Preamp Out slot to a mixer, which goes to a PA. I have the speakers disconnected (because the amp is louder than the PA.... lol).

A problem I'm having is that the Reverb does not work through the PA in our current setup. The drive/more drive channels work fine, but the Reverb knob has no effect. It works fine if the sound is coming through the amp's speaker.

Is this a fault with the amp, or is it not possible to have reverb with my current set up? Is there a better way to set things up?

Thanks for the help guys!
You are running your amp with nothing plugged into the speaker out jack? That smell hasn't been the toaster oven.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
You are running your amp with nothing plugged into the speaker out jack? That smell hasn't been the toaster oven.

Can you explain why this is bad for the amp, specifically?
Quote by Seany
(because the amp is louder than the PA.... lol)

every amp I've ever owned has a "Volume Knob" ... (what?? Not the smart ass comment you were looking for?)

Quote by Seany
A problem I'm having is that the Reverb does not work through the PA in our current setup. The drive/more drive channels work fine, but the Reverb knob has no effect. It works fine if the sound is coming through the amp's speaker.

Not a problem with the amp... basically, your bypassing the reverb by using the Pre-amp out. You're taking the signal out of the preamp before it goes through the reverb.

IMO, I'd try playing with the settings on the amp to get the tone that you're looking for without having to blast the volume. The Deville is a GREAT amp.. of course depends what sound you're trying to get out of it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
First thing....
Disconnecting your speakers is a good way to fry your amp.
I'm surprised its not toasted already.

Better to mic your amp.

The Output transformer will cook itself to death.
It won't be pretty.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by CodeMonk
First thing....
Disconnecting your speakers is a good way to fry your amp.
I'm surprised its not toasted already.

Better to mic your amp.

The Output transformer will cook itself to death.
It won't be pretty.

Kind of like putting the gas pedal to the floor in your car while it's in neutral...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
every amp I've ever owned has a "Volume Knob" ... (what?? Not the smart ass comment you were looking for?)

In a small rehearsal room, I can't tell the difference between what is going through the PA and what is coming out of the amp's speaker. Even with my connection on the mixer set to max and the amp set to just above 1. =/

Not a problem with the amp... basically, your bypassing the reverb by using the Pre-amp out. You're taking the signal out of the preamp before it goes through the reverb.

So is there any way at all to bypass the amp's speaker without losing the Reverb?

Thanks guys, I totally didn't know that unplugging the speaker would fry my amp, I definitely won't be doing it again. Is there any way at all to mute the speaker and just send the amp's sound through a mixing board? And retain reverb?
Quote by Seany
Hey guys, first let me say that I'm pretty inexperienced with the electronics side of guitar amps, so forgive me buuuuut....

Currently I use a Fender Deville 212. I have it connected from the Preamp Out slot to a mixer, which goes to a PA. I have the speakers disconnected (because the amp is louder than the PA.... lol).

Is this a fault with the amp, or is it not possible to have reverb with my current set up? Is there a better way to set things up?

Thanks for the help guys!

a) It will sound like shit. The poweramp and the speakers of the DeVille contribute to its tone.
b) Disconnecting the speaker will kill a tube amp
c) Use the volume knob and connect a mic to the PA.
d) The reverb comes after the preamp in the DeVille so obviously it wont work.
e) How underpowered is your PA? A typical 100-150W PA should be able to keep up with a 60W tube amp easily so long as you dont set all the tube amps knobs to 10.

Quote by Seany
In a small rehearsal room, I can't tell the difference between what is going through the PA and what is coming out of the amp's speaker. Even with my connection on the mixer set to max and the amp set to just above 1. =/

So is there any way at all to bypass the amp's speaker without losing the Reverb?

Thanks guys, I totally didn't know that unplugging the speaker would fry my amp, I definitely won't be doing it again. Is there any way at all to mute the speaker and just send the amp's sound through a mixing board? And retain reverb?

There is a safe way to disconnect the speaker. The amp doesnt have to be connected to a speaker as such- any load compatible with the amp will do.

You want to send the speaker out of the amp to this-

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

Get the version witht he headphone tap. Send the headphone tap out to the PA.
That said, it will sound shit unless the PA is connected to a guitar speaker for the amps input on the mixer or unless there is some sort of cabinet simulation system in between. In which case youll need to buy something like an H&K Red Box. Just lower your volume to 0.1 or something, much cheaper.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 29, 2011,
Also, is there any way to check if I've done permanent damage to my amp? I've used it with the speaker unplugged twice, for ~1 hour on each occasion.

It seems to sound okay, but now I'm worried
Quote by Seany
Thanks heaps GS LEAD 5.

Since I'm going to lose the amp's tone no matter what I do (aside from mic'ing it up and running that to the PA), would it be an option to just get a pedal (something like http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=855&ParentId=254) and run that between my guitar and the mixer, with no guitar specific amp? Would that work?

You can, but I dont recommend the Boss ones.

You want something similar to your Fender right? Gimme a minute.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HUKRBCLASSIC

I think youre supposed to run this in your FX loop, but not too sure.

Anyone knows how to use it?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
with a 60W tube amp easily so long as you dont set all the tube amps knobs to 10.

He should be fine even if it was cranked all the way.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by GS LEAD 5
http://87.106.71.220//oma/huke/manual/RedBox_BDA_1_1.pdf

Run the speaker out of your amp, into Red Box, then into your speaker, and the Red Box line into the PA.

Thanks, I'll grab one of those straight away and try it out.

On a far more important note, I'm now really worried that I've done serious damage to my amp. If the amp sounds fine then is it okay? How do I check if I've done permanent damage?
If its still working then that's all that you need to know.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Seany
Thanks, I'll grab one of those straight away and try it out.

On a far more important note, I'm now really worried that I've done serious damage to my amp. If the amp sounds fine then is it okay? How do I check if I've done permanent damage?

The way I told you, youll still get sound from your amp. Alternatively, you can just do this to mute the speaker while leaving it connected-

Guitar> Amp input> Am FX LOOP SEND > Red Box > PA.

Im assuming the HRDV has a serial loop.
You may well have seriously shortened the life of your power tubes, although you should really have a spare set of tubes anyway if you have a tube amp.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!