Yo, I just wanted some quick advice off the Pit regarding Anxiety disorder, I was just wondering if anyone's overcome it, or anything like it, on their own? I don't really like the idea of being 'diagnosed' or seeing therapists and stuff, so I don't want to go see a doctor about it. I have a friend who had a nervous breakdown and know he seems to contextualize everything he does now as some sort of disorder, or side-effect - and I really don't want to become like that. And also because I suppose a certain part of me doesn't actually believe in 'Anxiety Disorder'.

But I digress, my question was has/can you overcome personality disorders without seeing a professional?
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
yes.

Duff McKagan did. I just read his book.

(Invalid img)

again? I'm just going to keep posting failed gifs until someone tells me what I'm doing wrong
Yup.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
a lot of doctors will even recommend St John's Wort pills
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Anxiety is not a personality disorder. But for this 'Anxiety Disorder' that you suspect you may have, I suggest 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapy'.
Yeah, you can get over it.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Not a lot of western psycology focuses on getting rid of self-centeredness, but it can help with anxiety. I used Buddhism to get rid of my depression, and pretty much the most helpful thing I did was to not be self-centered (not in an egotistical way, but in a way of always seeing everything from your perspective).
I had severe anxiety disorder as a kid, and therapy helped a lot. Also, the parental support.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Aliens-exist182
Anxiety is not a personality disorder. But for this 'Anxiety Disorder' that you suspect you may have, I suggest 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapy'.

This. CBT might really help you, dude.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My mom has it severely and I believe I got it from her. I've been doing pretty well lately, but I've had plenty of episodes.
Quote by aka_barry
Not a lot of western psycology focuses on getting rid of self-centeredness, but it can help with anxiety. I used Buddhism to get rid of my depression, and pretty much the most helpful thing I did was to not be self-centered (not in an egotistical way, but in a way of always seeing everything from your perspective).

I've thought about this a lot, seeing what I can give to the world; and less of what I can take. Because a lot of my anxiety comes from constant introspection. That being said, I just don't have the time or the patience in my life at the moment to start learning about Buddhism, but I understand what you're saying.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Have you considered hypnotherapy? I thought it was a bit voodoo at first, but when i walked out of my first session, i came out a different person. If you really want it to work, it's more likely to work. it just depends on how much you want to get better.

Edit: Avoid drugs. Use them as a last resort. Antidepressents make me very, very sick. So much that i was advised to stop taking them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
My best friend's got it, a bit of Xanax will fix you up in no time.

Don't go this route. It's addictive and doesn't make the problem go away it just numbs you for a little bit. I work at a pharmacy and I'm sick of filling this drug.... So many people on it that don't need it, and use it the same way an alcoholic uses the drink. It's legal drug addiction.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
Ah ok well thanks for your help guys, like I said, I was a little unclear on the whole subject, this has helped. But in terms of self-coping is there anything I can do? Books you guys have read? Sites you have used?

I am thinking of maybe just seeing a university Councillor just to talk, if not.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Quote by Chris Schementi
Don't go this route. It's addictive and doesn't make the problem go away it just numbs you for a little bit. I work at a pharmacy and I'm sick of filling this drug.... So many people on it that don't need it, and use it the same way an alcoholic uses the drink. It's legal drug addiction.
That's what I fell in to when trying to "treat" my anxiety. I ended up popping a pill every time I felt nervous. I was so worried about having a panic attack I just kept poppin xanax and klonopin. Withdrawal's a bitch.

Ended up quitting all that shit and meditating. I became more aware of what my triggers were and stopped fearing the anxiety attacks (the intense fear of another episode can induce one). Worked wonders.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by soccermom
Ah ok well thanks for your help guys, like I said, I was a little unclear on the whole subject, this has helped. But in terms of self-coping is there anything I can do? Books you guys have read? Sites you have used?

I am thinking of maybe just seeing a university Councillor just to talk, if not.

I've had depression for 4 years. I've resorted to counselling and drugs in the past. It did not work for me. The counselling went on for 12 months and i relapsed a week later. The drugs were a bad idea. After 3 days i had to call off sick because the drugs made me feel like i hammered myself with drink. Vomiting every 15 mins, splitting headache and was so dizzy i couldn't stand up. My sex drive fell on its face too. In my experience, hypnotherapy is a step in the right direction. Meditation is not dissimilar to hypnotherapy, so that's another possibility.

In terms of self-coping, keep your friends close to you and make sure that you communicate with them well. Be honest with them and stay loyal. They can really help you get through this, but self-coping is somthing that you need willpower to do and even then, its only really a temperary solution.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Meds are no the answer for anxiety/panic disorders. They are ok in small doses, but the problem is that the professionals hit you 2x. The psychiatrist provides the meds and then you talk to a therapist to work through it. You can do this yourself. You just have to realize what is going on with your body and address those issues. An attack comes on because your body releases serotonin and then sucks it back up. That kicks adrenaline into action for no reason and you have no outlet for it. Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol exacerbate this.
You just have to realize what is happening and talk yourself through it. Read about it. Learn to control your intakes and how to deflect the intrusions of thoughts that grab you and manipulate them.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've had depression for 4 years. I've resorted to counselling and drugs in the past. It did not work for me. The counselling went on for 12 months and i relapsed a week later. The drugs were a bad idea. After 3 days i had to call off sick because the drugs made me feel like i hammered myself with drink. Vomiting every 15 mins, splitting headache and was so dizzy i couldn't stand up. My sex drive fell on its face too. In my experience, hypnotherapy is a step in the right direction. Meditation is not dissimilar to hypnotherapy, so that's another possibility.

In terms of self-coping, keep your friends close to you and make sure that you communicate with them well. Be honest with them and stay loyal. They can really help you get through this, but self-coping is somthing that you need willpower to do and even then, its only really a temperary solution.

Thanks for your help man, In regards to Hypnotherepy, it's something that I would consider if my anxiety were more severe. I've never had a panic attack, and it's mostly lack of focus and aversion. I can't sleep because of it, and at it's worst I can't sit down to watch a movie or read a book for more than ten minutes; which isn't too bad, but I study English at university, so a lot of my time should be spent sitting time and reading books - so in that in sense it is kind of ruining my life.
Also I would like to think that I, and everyone else, has the willpower and ability overcome these dysfunctions. Maybe I am wrong, like I said I don't fully understand them. Meditition however is something I would love to get into, regardless of my situation, it seems like it helps a lot of people.

Nonetheless good luck with your depression man.

Thanks for the help from everyone else too, I really think people needed to be educated on these kinds of things, because only once I started recognize it in myself did I even start to care about them.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at Nov 29, 2011,
Good luck too, mate. Now is a good time to take it seriously, as its affecting your ability to work. Go for what seeks fit. My depression has been severe and meditation had been an option worth considering. But i'm stubburn when it comes to new ideas and having someone who is trained and experienced with stubburn people is what works for me. So that's why i've chosen hypnotherapy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My brother mostly grew out of his panic anxiety, but he still takes kolonipin he's prescribed every once in a while.

I probably have it, but I have to much anxiety to see a doctor about it, really it's a vicious circle. I believe I got a LOT of paranoia after spending 9 days in the hospital after almost dying, I'd like to think it didn't affect me, but if I touch drugs that I once enjoyed, I get so paranoid it's crazy.
I do get panic attacks, I had one so severe I was seeing purple, probably from my heart racing. I could barely dial a phone to get someone to come get me.
I was also diagnosed with depression a long time ago.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 29, 2011,