Hey guys, i own an Ibanez RG370DXL left handed guitar (H-S-H) with a basswood body and i hate the stock pickups. I'm planning on replacing the two humbuckers asap.

Genres: I already have a Tele for the lower gain territory, but i'd hate to haul around two guitar when gigging. This would be mainly for Jason Becker-ish shred, for thick, fast death metal and progressive metal such as Dream Theater and Opeth. The pups should be good for lead parts, nice sustain because i'm usually the one playing those, reasonable mids would be nice. I want pups that clean up reasonably well with the volume knob for the lower gain blues (in a situation when i don't have my Tele), as well as have pretty decent cleans for the non-distorted passages.

Budget: The usual DiMarzio/Seymour duncan price range. Can't stretch my budget beyond that.

Preferences: Passives, not actives. And i've been looking at the John Petrucci CrunchLab/LiquiFire set, but have never tried it so i'd love to hear your opinions on that. Also been looking at the ToneZone, Air Norton and PAF Pros..

Gear: I'll be using it through a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 or a Line 6 PodHd500. I know that the difference between pickups would be reduced when played through modellers, but the stock INF pups on my Ibanez are just terrible!

Thanks a lot,
Saib
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Pair of Breeds or a Norton inthe bridge with a Humbucker from Hell in the Neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ Slightly hot blues on a D Activator bridge? Does it sound okay? I haven't ever tried a D Activator, so sorry if i'm a little clueless..
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
I play mostly metal, but also do quite a bit of blues and blues rock lately. I have found a very versatile pup is the Seymour Duncan Invader. I put one in the bridge of a les Paul years ago and since then I have found myself using them( neck and bridge) in most of my non active pup guitars. I know you said no active but the EMG 81/60 set up is in two of my ESP's and they sound amazing in both. You could contribute it to the guitars quality if they were passive, but in all reality, when you have emg's, your pretty much hearing the pick up instead of the guitar. so in short.... SD Invaders.
The Invader is a shocking, muddy mess of a pickup, don't go near it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

And the CrunchLab/Liquifire combo?
Or do i go for a CrunchLab in a bridge and a PAF in the neck?
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Nothing wrong with them but they seem to have turned into a knee-jerk recommendation simply because of the Petrucci thing...they've become the Dimarzio equvalent of the JB/Jazz set.

If you want versatility I stand by my recommendations...after all it's pointless asking if everybody recommends the same thing :p
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ I've never heard of that combo being used in one guitar, the one you recommended..any video/audio links i can have?
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Air Norton/Tone Zone is also a very common combo. Unfortunately there is no way to know how a certain pick up would sound on your guitar until you try it. You can check them out on youtube but then maybe they are using a different guitar, different amp, different effects... As a general tip, check out the dimarzio website where they show the EQs of their pick ups, and then do some research and look for reviews, hopefully it will help you find out what you need.
To answer the question on the invader. IMHO.. I have used it in both neck and bridge, was happier with it than any of the others I have tried. Never had ANY issues with mud. I have always had very clean and crisp tones on clean and it really shined on distortion. Using the volume knob and tone knob brings out a lot of it's versatility. If you install an orange drop capacitor it'll make the tone shaping that much more solid. I love em. Used em on tour, and for two albums. Just my opinion though.
I have the CL/LF set in my RG570 and it's surprisingly versatile. I've played everything from jazzy stuff to metal with them. If your amp is half decent (which yours is), you should be able to dial at least a usable tone for what you're playing.

I also have the Evolution bridge and PAF Pro in my 2120X. I'm not a fan of the way the PAF sounds as a neck pickup, but it's still really nice. The Evolution surprised me, actually. I also have it in my RG7421. I thought it would be too hot/middy/Vai-ish for me, but it's a very well-rounded pickup that cuts through nicely. The neck pickup in my RG7421 is a Blaze, which I only recently found out has a ceramic pickup. I'd normally go for an alnico V neck magnet, but I bought the guitar with it. Despite being ceramic, it's versatile and tame. As far as voicing goes, I'd put it between the LiquiFire and PAF Pro. It doesn't have the liquid-y tone of the LF, but it doesn't quite have the throaty, almost hollow sound of the PAF.
TBH while there is a lot of over-hyping with the CL/LF set. They are a very nice set of pups
I love them in my rg
It is mahogany the rg i've got them in though so YMMV