Hi,

I have been listening to Ozzy since I was in grade 2. I am now 36 years old.

Last week I went to the BLS concert here is Montreal. They opened for Judas Priest.

I stopped being "obsessed" with Ozzy when the Ozzmosis record was released. In my opinion his last relavent Album was No More Tears.

Anyway, back to the BLS concert. I have to say that I am surprised by the evolution of Zakk's playing...in particular his guitar solos.
When compared to his playing on No Rest For The Wicked and No More Tears, I find his BLS material to be more "shredding" and less "melodic." Again, I am refering to his guitar solos more than his riffs.
My favorite guitar solo of all time (ok, maybe top 5) is on Shot In The Dark from Just Say Ozzy, the solo at the end of the song. I believe it was live in Moscow or Philadelphia. It is so melodic, gives me goosebumps every time.
At the BLS concert, all i heard was him playing scales as fast as possible.

So, is it just me? Anybody see it the way that I do?

C

Take how he advertises himself, what audience he gathers from doing so and what solos that audience wants. It all adds up.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
I saw BLS recently and it was the biggest let down I've ever experienced. He used to put on really awesome displays but the gig pretty much felt half hearted and included a 20 minute 'solo' of him playing up and down a scale that bored the entire audience.

Then he did the same thing on a piano.

Perhaps that's what getting sober does to you... I really miss old Zakk :-(
He's stuck in his style. He should make another album similar to Pride and Glory. But yeah I agree-WAY too much soloing over the same scales, and way way way way too much pinch harmonics.

It's a shame, because he's one of the most talented players out there...when he's not lazy.
While I generally like his soloing style, I feel he does have one big major flaw and that is--he overdoes pinch harmonics. The occasional harmonic thrown in here and there makes things more interesting. But if this technique is overused, then it tends to get annoying.

Other than that, I really like his guitar playing.

ron666
What I really like is that he really developed his own style. After just a few notes, you can tell that it's Zakk...very hard to mistake his playing with anybody else. He is unique in that regard. I also don't mind the pinches, that is his thing. I just always thought of Zakk being more like Randy in the sense that they always recorded melodic guitar solos. Guitar solos that you can hum, that you can remember every note of. After the concert last week, its like he became a shredder, the solos have no identity, no soul. Back in the No More Tears days, the LAST thing I would have labelled Zakk was a shredder. It's too bad.

C
yeah but i didn't agree to give you one
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
of course. couldn't resist the tug of your meaty fingers
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by The Wildchild
of course. couldn't resist the tug of your meaty fingers

and I couldn't resist your short and stumpy log against my forehead
Philosophy > Life
a footlong coke can is anything but short

your mum's words, man (right before she shoved it into her tasty poonpie)
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
and she sighed when it entered, for she realized she was in for a treat: a six minute porking with no feeling
Philosophy > Life
yeah it was numb after a whole night of fucking
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
you guys are retarded
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
thank you for strengthening my point