Page 1 of 2
Im looking to get a Marshall amp for my new Marshall 1960a cab my friend gave me. Its beat to shit but it works fine just fine. I was wondering if buying a 50 or 100 watt marshall for the bedroom would be a good idea or not. All the videos I see on youtube of people doing it sounds just amazing compared to smaller amps. Im just not sure how loud they are going to be. I play at moderately loud volumes in my apartment now without issue, but just curious as to how a marshall would sound at these levels. The ones in particular I've been looking at are the DSL and the JCM 800. Maybe the Jubilee if I find it for the right price. Can these be tame enough to not blow the roof off and still sound great? Or am I better off with a Blackstar HT 5 or something like that for Marshally tone?
Last edited by pugachev at Nov 29, 2011,
I'm sure cranking an amp won't kill anybody. I do it all the time
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have a 100 watt JCM 900 in my flat (apartment in american) and it sounds great on just volume 2. coincidentally, I owned a JCM2000 before my JCM900 and the JCM2000 TSL sounded much worse at a lower volume than the JCM900 - so i'd say go for the JCM800 for a better sound at low and high volumes!

you could always get an attenuator or mod it.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
No. An apartment is a bad idea for a big Marshall.

What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It might work, but I'm sure you will be more satisfied with a lower watt amp that you can crank.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Talk to your neighbors and work out a time you can play... No matter what size, any tube amp will be loud enough for them to hear when you're playing. There's really no way around it other than headphones.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
CEC Toll Free Express.

maybe an EQ pedal as well.

even at 10 watts, it's still gonna be loud enough to piss off some people.

and that demo wasn't recorded all that loud really.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 29, 2011,
Yah i was going to say.. you can almost hear the strings accoustically which suggests that its not the highest of volumes.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Nov 29, 2011,
i hear them clearly. the settings shown have the master at 1.

which is still loud, but not wall shaking loud.
I repeat; what you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I repeat; what you need is a new home.

don't forget the understanding family at said home get the home somewhere where the neighbors aren't to close.

a 50 or 100 wattt head through a 4x12 bottom isn't really ideal for bedroom playing unless you're in Motorhead. i have a 50 watt 1x12 and to really get a good sound you have to turn it up some. fortunately i have a house and no neighbors all that close. if you're not gigging in decent sized venues then that is more amp than you really need period. i have a 50 watt 2x12 that is just plain to loud for home use (without being a total pussy) as at really low volumes the tone just isn't there.
Well i just bought that jcm800 2203 i was going on about in another thread and i think you could get a decent sound at low volume. The 'low' channel is much quieter than the 'high' channel (although the low can go easily to deafening levels if you turn it up lots).

I'll probably be using that when i'm just playing at moderate volumes myself, so i think you'll be fine.
Eh, it depends on the apartment. I can put my Valveking (50 watts) up to 4 or 5 most days with no complaints, but my place has great sound proofing. I'm able to have several layers of walls and air between my apartment and the neighbor's apartment as well because of the room I play in.

Other apartments have so little sound proofing that you can actually hear your neighbor down the hall take a piss, so don't take my experience as true in every case.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Eh, it depends on the apartment. I can put my Valveking (50 watts) up to 4 or 5 most days with no complaints, but my place has great sound proofing. I'm able to have several layers of walls and air between my apartment and the neighbor's apartment as well because of the room I play in.

Other apartments have so little sound proofing that you can actually hear your neighbor down the hall take a piss, so don't take my experience as true in every case.

I get what you mean. The last apartment I was in was so bad I can hear them opening and shutting every door in their apartment. It was so annoying.

This new one I'm in I have never heard a beep outside of my own place. Its very well built and "upscale". I'm cool with all my neighbors, but at the same time don't wanna piss anoyone off. The room I play in is at the end of the build facing nothing but a half mile trees and pasture. Between that is my bedroom, my kitchen, and a sizeable space between me and the only other apartment on this side of the building. So, its pretty well built to reduce sound.

I actually messaged the dude in the video and he told me he was playing very low volumes safe for apartment playing so I think im gonna give it a shot, I can always sell it off if I cant use it.
Quote by pugachev
I get what you mean. The last apartment I was in was so bad I can hear them opening and shutting every door in their apartment. It was so annoying.

This new one I'm in I have never heard a beep outside of my own place. Its very well built and "upscale". I'm cool with all my neighbors, but at the same time don't wanna piss anoyone off. The room I play in is at the end of the build facing nothing but a half mile trees and pasture. Between that is my bedroom, my kitchen, and a sizeable space between me and the only other apartment on this side of the building. So, its pretty well built to reduce sound.

I actually messaged the dude in the video and he told me he was playing very low volumes safe for apartment playing so I think im gonna give it a shot, I can always sell it off if I cant use it.

Do what I did. Play as loud as possible, when the neighbor's call the cops, just play louder.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Man just talk to your neighbors. I usually have a quick chat with all my neighbors when I move into a place and just say 'here is my cell number, if I'm too loud call me, not the cops.' If they're cool, as you say they are, than there should be no issues.

I get that some days my neighbors may not be in the mood to hear my racket, all I ask is that they tell me that and not the authorities. Call the cops on me and I'm just gonna make it a point to play loud as **** until 11:01 then go to sleep so you call the cops and they show up and I'm in bed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Do what I did. Play as loud as possible, when the neighbor's call the cops, just play louder.

i think you are related to Cathbard.
Quote by pugachev

Face the cab towards the half mile of trees duh, and put drapes and stuff on the wall behind it
Build an iso cab. Then not only can you crank it, you can record it cranked as well.
If your iso-cab is actually really good and you didn't **** it up a bit you just plug the mic inside your iso cab into the desk and a single PA speaker. Like drag in one of the foldback wedges. If you did **** it up a bit it's probably loud enough to listen to the escaping sound in a bedroom. Ineptitude may work in your favor.
To the woodworking shed with you!!! Time to drag out the saws and drills.

Oh no! You live in an apartment so you won't have a woodworking shed. Again, I am compelled to say, what you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Pfft. I've got a work bench set up on my balcony that includes a couple electric saws, drills, etc. And a 50w amp with a 100w and 88w amp on the way. Never had a complaint.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Pfft. I've got a work bench set up on my balcony that includes a couple electric saws, drills, etc. And a 50w amp with a 100w and 88w amp on the way. Never had a complaint.

You're a good man. You can do it as long as you have a pair of balls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I mean, I don't think most people really care. I had my table saw out side and was cutting some ply for a speaker enclosure for my EE project at 9PM and nobody said a thing. And I've had my Flexi up to around 10-11 o clock as late as 4AM and again, no complaints. During the day I've got it up to 2 or 3 o clock on the master knob and again, no complaints. Sure, every once in a while you get that bitchy neighbor but most people really don't mind in my experience.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The main reason people really complain if you don't overdo it is if you can't play. Everybody's had that annoying young idiot next door spending 6 months to learn the Smoke On The Water riff.
I've normally had full band rehearsals at home. We treat it as a performance because you know people halfway down the block can hear every note. If you are entertaining then people are usually entertained.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I live in a condo with an attached garage. It is right next to the mail box. I was out at 11pm with the door open soldering the wiring for my guitar and security rolled up thinking I was ****ing with the mail box...

It was pretty funny situation until he saw the guitar I was working and then he chilled out.
Quote by Cathbard
Build an iso cab. Then not only can you crank it, you can record it cranked as well.
If your iso-cab is actually really good and you didn't **** it up a bit you just plug the mic inside your iso cab into the desk and a single PA speaker. Like drag in one of the foldback wedges. If you did **** it up a bit it's probably loud enough to listen to the escaping sound in a bedroom. Ineptitude may work in your favor.
To the woodworking shed with you!!! Time to drag out the saws and drills.

Oh no! You live in an apartment so you won't have a woodworking shed. Again, I am compelled to say, what you need is a new home.

though you almost had it there, but then we are met with an impass
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'd do like others have said. Talk to your neighbors and apartment managers. Let them know to call you, and not the cops. If you're cool with them, they're more likely to be cool with you when they are annoyed by your loud playing. Aside from that, I'd say play as loud as you want until someone complains
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I personally can't see the point in getting a Jubilee or JCM800 for an apartment unless you're able to play at a reasonable volume. I don't mean cranked up to ten, just enough that you're getting the speakers moving and the full range of frequencies.

If I was in your position I'd probably grab a cheap Marshall Lead 100 or something, at apartment volume it'll sound just like a JCM800. There's really nothing wrong with running a 'proper' 100W head at low volume though, it'll still sound good.
since when can big marshall and bad idea be legally in the same sentence?! i say murder! first degree.

no really it'll just be loud and not really necessary but i would call it a bad idea. you can always put a attenuator in between the cab and head.
Quote by tubetime86
Man just talk to your neighbors. I usually have a quick chat with all my neighbors when I move into a place and just say 'here is my cell number, if I'm too loud call me, not the cops.' If they're cool, as you say they are, than there should be no issues.

I get that some days my neighbors may not be in the mood to hear my racket, all I ask is that they tell me that and not the authorities. Call the cops on me and I'm just gonna make it a point to play loud as **** until 11:01 then go to sleep so you call the cops and they show up and I'm in bed.

This is actually really good advice.
I went ahead and got me a 2555sl slash head. I figured, it can't sound any worse than any other amp at low volume and its future proof if when I decide to venture into looking for a band. Least it wont go down in value or anything so its win win really.
Congrats on the new amp.

Like tubetime said, talk with your neighbors, respect for other people goes a long way.

There is way too little of it these days, people will immediately gain some for you just for speaking up.
I wish I could of spoken up before you bought that head. I didn't have time this morning when I saw the thread so I couldn't speak on it.

You may be able to get a great sound out of a 100w Marshall tube halfstack at a bedroom volume and not bother anybody, but it doesn't matter. It's STILL a 100w Marshall tube halfstack, a phrase that translates out to "big black box with speakers that will be played at max volume 24/7 and keep me from getting any sleep" to anyone who is not a guitarist.

And since it's a halfstack configuration, just because you don't use it loud, it still LOOKS loud, and will get your neighbors paranoid before you even turn it on. Unless you move, you are now asking for a fight because you ordered that head.

You should have never bought that 1960a and gotten a modeler like a POD HD and a set of nice Sennheiser headphones. You are now asking for a war.
Page 1 of 2