Page 1 of 2
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hsKgA_xvyKonV0MgoGOudg76NG1w?docId=N0153171322580670576A

Mass killer Anders Breivik will be sent to a psychiatric hospital and not prison after doctors decided he was insane when he murdered 77 people in a bomb and shooting rampage in Norway.

An evaluation ordered by an Oslo court found that Breivik was "psychotic" during the July 22 attacks - the country's worst peacetime massacre - which means he is not mentally fit to be sentenced to prison, prosecutors said.

In their report, the experts describe a man "who finds himself in his own delusional universe, where all his thoughts and acts are governed by these delusions," Mr Holden said. "They conclude that Anders Behring Breivik during a long period of time has developed the mental disorder of paranoid schizophrenia, which has changed him and made him into the person he is today."

In Norway, an insanity defence requires that a defendant be in a state of psychosis while committing the crime with which he or she is charged. That means the defendant has lost contact with reality to the point that he's no longer in control of his own actions.

Definitely wasn't expecting this verdict. The public image of Breivik didn't give any reason to think he was legally insane.

Thoughts pit? Try and keep it civil whilst you're at it.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Norwegian courts are notoriously lenient, but you can't argue with their results.
Check out my band Disturbed
The report is 200 pages long, to be honest people should really wait until the criminal proceedings begin and the report is revealed in full to pass judgement.

AFAIK the diagnoses was based on a number of factors, including his grandiose thoughts and disordered speech.

I'm not particularly surprised though. Schizophrenia certainly fits.

I do expect the masses to through a hissy fit over this though. "Hurr Durr, mental illness isn't real, I know better than the clinicians". Forgetting of course that the period of time spent imprisoned is generally longer for those declared insane.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The report is 200 pages long, to be honest people should really wait until the criminal proceedings begin and the report is revealed in full to pass judgement.

AFAIK the diagnoses was based on a number of factors, including his grandiose thoughts and disordered speech.

I'm not particularly surprised to be honest. Schizophrenia certainly fits.

I do expect the masses to through a hissy fit over this though.

You can do that for schizophrenia though.

Can you really validate claims of psychosis?
I did NOT see this coming... I could accept him being seen as a psychopath, not insane.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by SkepsisMetal
You can do that for schizophrenia though.

Can you really validate claims of psychosis?

Yes. If you've ever spoken to a paranoid schizophrenic, and you know what to look for, it's pretty obvious. If Breivik is displaying stuff like disordered speech then Schizophrenia is extremely likely.

Malingering in his case would be next to impossible given the scrutiny he's been subjected to.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yes. If you've ever spoken to a paranoid schizophrenic, and you know what to look for, it's pretty obvious. If Breivik is displaying stuff like disordered speech then Schizophrenia is extremely likely.

Malingering in his case would be next to impossible given the scrutiny he's been subjected to.

Yeah, but schizophrenia is more physiological I thought, whereas a psychosis was just a perception issue
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Yeah, but schizophrenia is more physiological I thought, whereas a psychosis was just a perception issue

Schizophrenia manifests with a number of symptoms, psychosis is sometimes among them.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Seemed obvious to me at the time the guys cheese had slipped his cracker.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
So in 3 years when he's magically sane again, does he get let go or thrown in prison?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
So in 3 years when he's magically sane again, does he get let go or thrown in prison?

Do you see many people insane people actually cured?
Quote by Zeletros
Do you see many people insane people actually cured?

That's not what i asked.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠

Prison generally. I believe that's also how it works in Norway. Although those declared insane generally spend far longer incarcerated. It's not an easy way out or anything.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
won't this be a way for them to jail him forever without setting a release date?
Quote by Kumanji
No, what you asked was retarded.

If medical professionals say he's insane, he's probably insane.

Nowhere is there a mention of medical professionals made. All it says is "experts." Could have been the defense's experts. Could have been the prosecution's experts. Could have been a combination of the two. How do we know?

My point is that if down the road he's declared sane, does he return to society or is he put in prison where he can have the shit beaten out of him by angry norwegian nationalists?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Jackal58
Seemed obvious to me at the time the guys cheese had slipped his cracker.

Yes exactly.

It seems obvious to me that he is a very damaged person, I hope he can get the help he needs to recover.

Quote by Acϵ♠

My point is that if down the road he's declared sane, does he return to society or is he put in prison where he can have the shit beaten out of him by angry norwegian nationalists?

Why would he get the shit beaten out of him by racists in prison? Norwegian prison isn't like North American prison.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by Acϵ♠
Nowhere is there a mention of medical professionals made. All it says is "experts." Could have been the defense's experts. Could have been the prosecution's experts. Could have been a combination of the two. How do we know?

No, it was psychiatrists. Did you even read the article?

Wherever he'll pose the least threat to himself and others.
This will be extremely interesting to see if it will be important being Case law.

Anyway, for those of you who are pissed off: He'll still be locked up for life, but in a mental institution. It's a lot less nice than prison is in that country.

EDIT: That is, if he doesn't recover. I don't really think he ever will, though.
How hard would it be for some dude with a .308 to just take his ****ing head off when his face slips into the public eye for one minute while he gets transferred to some loonie bin.
If he's cured, he will put in prison if he's deemed a danger to society.

Isn't that the whole point of prison anyway?
Quote by metalblaster
How hard would it be for some dude with a .308 to just take his ****ing head off when his face slips into the public eye for one minute while he gets transferred to some loonie bin.

Feel free, and take yourself out while you're at it.
Quote by metalblaster

It would be easy. Not a very high probability of that happening though, haha
My God, it's full of stars!
No sane person shoots 77 people.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by metalblaster

I dunno, most people aren't too keen on murder, you see. That's very much why he's going to get locked up and/or treated. Very much why anyone who tries to murder him will also get locked up and/or treated.

It's also very difficult to kill someone with a Peugeot.
Quote by Dreadnought
It would be easy. Not a very high probability of that happening though, haha

Gosh no, who would possibly want to do that and have the complete ease and access to do so?
Quote by Cloaca
I dunno, most people aren't too keen on murder, you see. That's very much why he's going to get locked up and/or treated. Very much why anyone who tries to murder him will also get locked up and/or treated.

It's also very difficult to kill someone with a Peugeot.

HA!

Quite right.
There is nor way to escape his insanity.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by Kumanji
Well, you were oslo to make that joke.

Well, thank you.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by I.O.T.M
No sane person shoots 77 people.

That's not true.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
That's not true.

I just don't see how a perfectly sane person could think killing 77 people is a good idea.

I'll admit my opinion is based on nothing but ignorance, though.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
I just don't see how a perfectly sane person could think killing 77 people is a good idea.

I can think of 535 mofos that would be a good start.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by I.O.T.M

That's not how mental disorders work. People can be evil without being insane. Hitler, for example, doesn't seem to have had a mental disorder.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Jackal58
I can think of 535 mofos that would be a good start.

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

Congress.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2