Fender
20 34%
ESP
19 33%
Music Man
19 33%
Voters: 58.
Hello!
I've sold all of my guitars and now I want to buy something really expensive. I play a lot of clean and bluesy stuff (and I respect some straat-like cleans), but also like to play Metallica, Slayer and all that trash. My amp is a cheap tube 4W Vox AC4TV.

All the guitars cost the same and are in excellent condition, and come with a hard case.

1. 2011 Fender American Vintage 57' Strat in Surf green
2. 20xx year ESP Horizon NT-II in Sunburst
3. 2005 EBMM JP6 (no piezo, unpainted headstock, dot inlays) in pearl Blue

As you can see, those three guitars have not much in common. What should I choose?
First off, good decision on selling the (I assume), cheaper guitars to fund a better one. I did the same thing years ago and could not be happier with the outcome. I now have a few higher end guitars and also a few mid level ones as well. I am very happy with my ESP standard eclipse. I started off playing metal on it and after I left my metal band I started with blues. And it is such a well built guitar, it made the transition effortlessly from metal to blues. Im always going to go with esp if someone asks. And Ltd has some very impressive guitars nowadays. My viper400 and my mh400 are very serious players.
Edit: I also must add that a friend has the esp horizon nt and it is a very comfortable guitar. That is a great guitar.
Last edited by Maximo33 at Nov 29, 2011,
You need a more metal amp too....

Though of those, Defo between the JP or Horizon.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
For clean and bluesy, you want the JP6.

For everything else, you want the JP6.

So, get the JP6, find one used and spend some dough on a better amp, which will make more of a difference than any guitar possibly could.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I am buying a used one, cause I have only 1300 to spend, and I don't want a korean or chinese guitar
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
MM are very nice guitars, but so is the ESP. You really need to try them to make up your own mind.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The biggest problem is I can't try any of them! In Russia there are low-end Jacksons, Squiers, cheapest Gibsons and some Mexican Fenders.
What do you think about the '57 strat? I like the single-coils and the cleans, and the looks too, but I am afraid that this guitar will be uncomfortable (small fretwire, v-neck, 7,25 radius and humming PUs)
The '57 Strat is a great guitar, no doubt. Throw some Fender Noiseless pickups in there if you're worried about hum and you'll be good to go. Thing is, though, the ESP or JP will do blues/clean stuff better than the strat will do metal. It really depends on which area you want to be better at.
I have a JP50 which is the sterling (cheaper) version of the JP6. Best guitar I ever had/played for versatility, fret access and comfort. The volume knob is very responsive for gain adjustments and the tone knob is also responsive. Cleans are very similar to PRS or darker strat tones (neck to middle pickups) and it can handle stuff with lot of gain without hiss (lead or rythm). There is only thing it does no do: the twang and punch of the strat bridge pickup. (which is why I have a fender Jazzmaster)

Hardware is very fine except for the frets, which are thinner than the strat ones and may wear faster. The flat neck helps for fast solos, but is still confortable for rythm stuff. The tremolo really keeps the tuning if set-up correctly, even when I travel to my practice room (15 minutes drive at canadian winter temperatures) or when I do not play for several days.

I imagine the sound characteristics should be superior for the Music man models, so this is a sure purchase.

If you play a lot more blues and clean, you should take the strat, cause this is where you will want the punch of the single coils. The other guitarist in my band has a fender american strat with noiseless pus and can sound really harsh when we cover metal songs (using a MB stiletto Ace)... but this will never sound as good as the JP6 pickups for gainy stuff. For best overall versatility and comfort, the JP6 wins. But for blues, i am not sure.
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
Last edited by Anthoje at Nov 29, 2011,
Thanks for your replies, I guess Ill get an ESP (btw, it has exactly the same set of PUs as my first Charvel had)
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Asks for advice.

Everyone says JP6, a couple say Fender.

Picks the ESP in the end.

What are we here for, right?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The poll shows ESP is in the lead. And there were a few(including me) who advised on esp as well.
The poll can mean a bunch of opinions which aren't valid, though. A poll probably isn't the best way to look at this, rather look at what everyone has commented.

Honestly, I'd say the musicman. It, in my opinion is probably the guitar with the most quality and versatility on there. Thats all i have to say on it
JP Definitely. The Coil Tap just makes up for insane fenderish blues, but any ESP is too limited to gainy stuff unless you coil tap it. The pickups on the JP are AMAZING for anything, and the bridge is lovely to have. You will also love the neck if you like playing metal.
Do not go for Fender if you want to play metal. You need a WAY better amp to sound good metal on a a Fender. I can get some "good" metal tone with my SRV if I tweak my GT10 like a baws, but plug my JP in and it sounds like a dream.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
The idea of that '57 Fender through an AC4 is just too sexy to pass up.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I voted for the 57 fender. What a cool awesome guitar!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by terribleguitar
The biggest problem is I can't try any of them! In Russia there are low-end Jacksons, Squiers, cheapest Gibsons and some Mexican Fenders.
What do you think about the '57 strat? I like the single-coils and the cleans, and the looks too, but I am afraid that this guitar will be uncomfortable (small fretwire, v-neck, 7,25 radius and humming PUs)

I own a 50's strat w/ v-neck, and it is a very comfortable and fast neck. I guess it depends on what type of neck you like the feel of as well... Also humming isn't really that much of a problem, only if you play with high distortion on high volumes, or if you're right in front of the amp.
All you need is love... And chocolate!
Quote by halfj06
There isnt much a hss strat cant do

+1 but need a humbucker swap for metallica , slayer etc.. . i play that stuff and use a Duncan distortion sh-6 , or i would check with dimarzio also .

the stock humbucker of the hss is not good for those fast palmmuting riff . just doesnt cut it .

TS: Why not going with 2 great guitar instead of 1 and pay 1700 $ for it .

you could have a used Fender stratocaster u.s.a for around 750 $.

and you could get a LTD ec-1000 ( LTD series of the ESP eclipse ) with EMG's for another 750/800 $ brand new .

would cover many style .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim