Not for me, but for my old man; I think he's having some sort of spiritual crisis (mid-life crisis? Who the hell knows).

Anyway, he's been banging on about the Hare Krishna, finding meaning in life and all that sort of thing. We were discussing it in the pub and, to be honest, we are both pretty cynical chaps, but I argued that if there wasn't something in it, it wouldn't be so renowned and widely acknowledged. Basically, he should at least give it a try!

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has an experience or interest in all things spiritual? Meditation and certain teachings I most had in mind. Are there any decent websites or books he should be reading?

If there is already a thread, just point me in the right direction.

P.S. Times are hard and, knowing him, he wouldn't want to pay a lot for fulfillment (nor should he, really). I once went to a local Buddhist church in Sheffield and there were asking for £20 entrance fee (not very Buddhist I thought)!
How did he come in contact with Hare Krishna in the first place? And has he mentioned why he want to be a part of that?

I'm always rather reluctant to such organisations. I just feel it starts somewhere with like a visit and ends with someone being totally mind controlled and giving away all their money the organisation.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I think my mom is going through the same thing. She's been on about Tao recently. I don't have a problem with Tao and what it teaches, but the people she's been going to classes with are taking it over the top. 2012 and governmental conspiracies... I'm afraid she's believing too much of this nonsense. I don't know what I should do.

Edit: Oh, wait. I misunderstood. You want your dad to try meditation and spiritual things?
Last edited by Shr3dz0r at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
1. How did he come in contact with Hare Krishna in the first place? And has he mentioned why he want to be a part of that?

2. I'm always rather reluctant to such organisations. I just feel it starts somewhere with like a visit and ends with someone being totally mind controlled and giving away all their money the organisation.
1. I have no idea. I presume because it's arguably the most well-known and he probably knows of it through The Beatles.

2. I know what you mean, but if it can actually offer some sort of spiritual happiness, then why not? I think his argument is: "even if it's a load of bull but it provides meaning and contentment, is there anything wrong with that?".
Quote by fender_696
1. I have no idea. I presume because it's arguably the most well-known and he probably knows of it through The Beatles.

2. I know what you mean, but if it can actually offer some sort of spiritual happiness, then why not? I think his argument is: "even if it's a load of bull but it provides meaning and contentment, is there anything wrong with that?".

Well, that's really up to him, to have enough confidence in both them and himself. I've heard so many people entering various sects. Now I'm lumping them all together rather sillily however but well. I just don't want your father to be screwed be some religious sect.

But if thinks it can offer him some serenity and meaning then sure. Just watch out so he doesn't become a full time nutter and start to convince you to join.

Hope it works out bro.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well, that's really up to him, to have enough confidence in both them and himself. I've heard so many people entering various sects. Now I'm lumping them all together rather sillily however but well. I just don't want your father to be screwed be some religious sect.

But if thinks it can offer him some serenity and meaning then sure. Just watch out so he doesn't become a full time nutter and start to convince you to join.

Hope it works out bro.
Thing is, he's not just going on about Hare Krishna, I think that was just an example he gave to represent this 'image', as it were.

It's such a broad field though; was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the matter.
Quote by fender_696
Thing is, he's not just going on about Hare Krishna, I think that was just an example he gave to represent this 'image', as it were.

It's such a broad field though; was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the matter.

Hare Krisha are rather small here in Sweden. We have Jehova's Witnesses and other more annoying groups of religious freaks going around here.

To be fair I've never heard anyone say anything that bad about Hare Krishna. Buddhish is by far the religion I have the least problem with.
Well sure, get into all that stuff if you're interested. Just don't dedicate your life to it or regard it of any higher importance than something else
"The world holds two classes of men: intelligent men without religion and religious men without intelligence". - Abu Ala Al-Ma'arri

Tell him to skip the spiritual mumbo jumbo. There are much more fascinating things in the world and universe around us than can be found in any religion. I agree with K Reyn, have him find a hobby or something that interests him to put him in a better place.

According to it's rhetoric, religion shouldn't cost a dime, in fact, it should give you money, just saying.
I've been to dinner (free Indian food!) at the Hare Krishna temple in Berkeley before and it was pleasant. They didn't do any sort of religious thing before or after the meal like you would expect. Just food for any who wanted it. You could pay if you wanted or not. So that's my experience with Hare Krishna.

I know a lot of people (all ages) who meditate and find it really helpful for dealing with stress, and for focusing. I've never done it personally though. Just takes a lot of practice that I don't make time for.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Meditation has a lot of mystical beliefs surrounding it, and you can choose whether to believe those or not, but the science is there. When in deep meditation, the parietal lobe (the part of the brain that deals with sensory input) basically goes to sleep. This is what causes people to feel at one with the universe or feel god, their brains are forgetting the boundary between their bodies and the rest of the universe.

The way your frontal cortex is working also changes. Dr. Andrew Newberg (radiology, psychology and religious studies, University of Pennsylvania) studied the brains of over one hundred people in some form of deep prayer or mediation. He found that the deeper the subjects claimed there expereince was, the less their parietal lobes lit up on fMRI and PET scans. But the really interesting thing (for me anyways) is that "long-term meditators" which Newberg described as fifteen plus years of experience had a massive increase in the density of their pre-frontal cortex, and a immensely superior memory to non meditators.

Meditations and Prayer also lower cortisol levels, which is the drug that makes you stressed. This has a rediculous number of health benefits that I'm not going to type out, but trust me, it's really awesme.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
It's like a way of thinking. Natural worriers have a harder time than those that don't worry. Their stress levels are constantly higher, so it makes sense that meditation (a suppression of thoughts and emotion) will calm that.

There's also the Peter Pan aspect. Think happy thoughts and you'll fly - sorry, i mean be happy... (novel vs. book)

Meditation also aids sleep, which as we all know can make a world of difference. Meditation has alot of mysticism around it, but there are many people that practice it without a religious connotation. They use it merely as a calming and reflective experience, which in many respects is what the religious side also does but in a dogmatic context.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Tell him to just look up a place that practices zazen meditation and go a few times to see how he likes it.
I despise the word spiritual because I always picture fortune teller ripoff when hearing about it. Infact, I doubt that I even know the true definition of spirituality is.
But I'll try to express myself as clearly as possible.
If spirituality is just meditation as a hoby. Than I have no problem with it.
But once people claim they can talk to the dead and demand money for it I start to despise it with a burning passion.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Ganoosh
Thanks! Will check that out.

^ EDIT: Trust me, he's not like that.

Just looking for some fulfillment and inner peace and all that stuff. Take the edge of modern day living, if you like.
Last edited by fender_696 at Nov 29, 2011,