So I'm about to acquire a new guitar for college and I'm looking at amplification possibilities. There's a used Vypyr 30 selling in my area for $225 WITH a Sanpera 2 pedal (Total worth about $400 new).

Having said that, I've been wondering if I should instead invest in some kind of multi effects pedal instead such as a Pod or an RP so that when I invest in a nicer amp, I can run the effects through it and not just have 2 vypyrs (Already got one at home).

Thoughts?
I'd absolutely go with the MultiFX.

Seeing you're going to college, you might be playing alot with headphones, which would be a waste of a bigger Vypyr. Apart from that, I'm not a big fan of those, anyway. You'd be better off saving up for a nice tube amp in the future !
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
get a multi-effects. stigmas aside, there's not much sense in buying two of the same thing, unless its a back-up of something valuable.

Multi-effects have come so far just in the past few years. Look up Axe-FX and POD comparison videos. watch with your eyes closed and just listen. Hopefully they don't announce it in the beginning. Lol And look up the real amps and their multi-effect renditions. its scary awesome.
So I'm assuming you'll be using the multi-fx for headphone amplification for the time being? I would go for the multi-fx (not sure which one, never tried either), the vypyrs are really nice amps though. Is your vypyr at home too large for your apartment/dorm room?
im having the same difficulty, amp or multi fx. id say buy a multi fx
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I'll be using the amp for headphone amplification, but I do have the option of letting it go every once in a while during the day. As far as my other vypyr, transporting it isn't feasible. I currently live in Ohio and my amp is in Texas.

Next year, though, I will be staying in a house and I'll have significantly more freedom. Is a Multifx pedal still a good idea? And if so, which would be recommended to invest in for possible future tube amp effects?

@AsJerrell I've heard the AxeFX. If I had the money, I'd have one right now haha. They really are scary sounding...
If the Vypyr is not transportable, then yes a multi fx or computer software is the way to go.
Do you like the Vypyr?

If so, you could always upgrade to a Vypyr Tube, and then you'll have an actual amp to play with in a year, and you can sell your other one whenever you get the chance.

The MFX could be a better option in the short term, but are you going to be able to afford a nice amp to run it through when you want to do that in a year?

These are the things to think about.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I love the Vypyr, but I'm not all that sure I can afford a tube right now. As far as that goes, the things are too damn heavy for me to be lugging around. Especially since my parents are extremely leery of me spending so much money on decent gear.

I'm also still in the dorms for this year, so I won't want to have Vypyr 60 sitting around in my suite of 10 people. Doesn't seem like a good idea for now.

Yes, I'm in college, but they do pay for my tuition so I can't just do what I want. Yet.

Now, if that really is my best option, I'll talk to my parents and try to convince them that I do know what I'm doing and that it's really the best option, but I have to know that getting a multifx and waiting on the amp isn't a better idea. I'm already spending $400 on a guitar. I don't know how spending another 400 on an amp will go.
FWIW, the Tube 60 is only slightly bigger than the 30. About 2" more in all dimensions (HxWxD)

Unless you meant that it's not a good idea, security wise?

Do you think your parents will be more comfortable with you getting an MFX now, and then be alright with you getting an amp in a year?

What is your total budget? You're not gonna get a whole lot of MFX for $225. I highly recommend the Line 6 Pod HD though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
what a perplexing paradox

why can't you take your Vypyr with you again?

Quote by Samhuinn
Seeing you're going to college, you might be playing alot with headphones, which would be a waste of a bigger Vypyr.

Even the bigger Vypyrs have headphone jacks

Quote by Offworld92
Do you like the Vypyr?

If so, you could always upgrade to a Vypyr Tube, and then you'll have an actual amp to play with in a year, and you can sell your other one whenever you get the chance.

The MFX could be a better option in the short term, but are you going to be able to afford a nice amp to run it through when you want to do that in a year?

These are the things to think about.

+1
I'm not real sure at this point what my parents will be comfortable with. I guess I'll run a few things by them tonight.

As far as why my Vypyr can't come with me, it's simply too much a hassle to transport from Texas to Ohio. Especially since I go back and forth on break, I can't be lugging that thing with me. I have clothes and such to take.

I do feel like spacing out my purchases may make it slightly less scary for them to think about.

If I shell out for a Vypyr 60, I want to make sure that it's going to last me quite a while. Is this going to be the case or am I going to want to upgrade yet again in the near future?
Last edited by nolifeXD at Nov 29, 2011,
Surely if you are going to college your opportunities to jam with other musos will increase. I'd say save a few dollars, sell what you have and get a Vyper Tube 60 so you'll have something you can use for more than playing with yourself. I know when I was at Uni I jammed all the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by nolifeXD
If I shell out for a Vypyr 60, I want to make sure that it's going to last me quite a while. Is this going to be the case or am I going to want to upgrade yet again in the near future?

I don't know man. I've played a shit load of amps (see my blog) and I own a Splawn Quick Rod and I gotta tell ya the Vypyr 60 gives me a huge boner. I've played the other Vypyrs too and the tubed Vypyrs are so much better. Not that the SS ones are bad.

I cant' really speak to your specific situation with moving shit back and forth though - that is your dilemma. You could maybe consider a Pod or Pod Farm. I have Pod Farm and it is pretty decent. So is ReValver.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't know man. I've played a shit load of amps (see my blog) and I own a Splawn Quick Rod and I gotta tell ya the Vypyr 60 gives me a huge boner. I've played the other Vypyrs too and the tubed Vypyrs are so much better. Not that the SS ones are bad.

Ditto. The Vypyr tube is my main amp, and I own a 5150.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You're making me want to scrap the guitar and just focus on getting a new amp. Mayhap I'll do that.
Haha it's such a good deal though. A Schecter C-1 Classic w/ JB and '59 for 400 bucks with a case? It's so.... Hard to pass up. :x

Plus my guitar has EMG's in it and I wanted some passive pups. Will the EMG's go through the Vypyr really well?
Depends on how big it is. The more wattage it has, the better it handles EMGs. That's pretty true of any amp though. I use EMGs in my MH-400, and everything sounds the way it should. Lush cleans, mean crunch, brutal high gain. etc etc.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well the vypyr that I'd get is the 60 so as long as that handles EMGs well, I'm down. I just thought getting a guitar with passives, especially SDs in it, wouldn't be a bad thing.
Hrm. I'll figure it out. Looks like I'll be thinking about getting an amp for me now haha.