SO i have been working on my chord building. I just wanted to make sure, so if I have say a Bb minor scale the scale would go Bb-C-Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab, if i wanted to get chords out of the I would get
Bb-Db-F which would be a Bb minor chord
C-Eb-Gb ---C Diminished chord
Db-F-Ab --- Db Major Chord
Eb-Gb-Bb ---Eb minor chord
F-Ab-C --- F minor chord
Gb-Bb-Db --Gb Major chord
Ab-C-Eb --Ab Minor chord

Is this right? thru the theory of Major 3rd +minor 3rd = Major chord, minor 3rd + Major 3rd = minor chord, and minor 3rd +minor 3rd = diminshed this is what i came up with. Now if this is right can I play all of the chords anyways and they would all fit together?? Also would that mean its moveable as in if is was an A minor I would get a minor, Diminished, Major, minor, minor, Major, minor chords in the scale pattern.. A, B, C, D, E, F, G...

I just wanted to clarify if this is NOT right please let me know.

Thanks
Quote by amberhye

Ab-C-Eb --Ab Minor chord

That's Ab major (which is the correct chord).
Quote by amberhye
Now if this is right can I play all of the chords anyways and they would all fit together??

Sort of. Some chord sequences or progressions tend to sound "better" than others. I suggest you look into chord functions and cadences. And play them. Make up your own progressions so that you start to get a feel of what sounds right and what doesn't.
Last edited by sickman411 at Nov 29, 2011,
The seventh chord (built on Ab in your example) is actually a major chord. Other than that you've more or less got it. That transfers to any other minor scale and usually you write it like: i-iidim-III-iv-v-VI-VII. However, very often you write out the harmony according to the harmonic minor scale which would become i-iidim-III+-iv-V-VI-viidim because of the raised seventh.
Quote by amberhye
SO i have been working on my chord building. I just wanted to make sure, so if I have say a Bb minor scale the scale would go Bb-C-Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab, if i wanted to get chords out of the I would get
Bb-Db-F which would be a Bb minor chord
C-Eb-Gb ---C Diminished chord
Db-F-Ab --- Db Major Chord
Eb-Gb-Bb ---Eb minor chord
F-Ab-C --- F minor chord
Gb-Bb-Db --Gb Major chord
Ab-C-Eb --Ab major chord *This should be major*

Is this right? thru the theory of Major 3rd +minor 3rd = Major chord, minor 3rd + Major 3rd = minor chord, and minor 3rd +minor 3rd = diminshed this is what i came up with. Now if this is right can I play all of the chords anyways and they would all fit together?? Also would that mean its moveable as in if is was an A minor I would get a minor, Diminished, Major, minor, minor, Major, minor chords in the scale pattern.. A, B, C, D, E, F, G...

I just wanted to clarify if this is NOT right please let me know.

Thanks

In the natural minor, chords i iv and v are minor, chords III VI and VII are major and chord ii° is diminished.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Nov 29, 2011,