So, awhile ago I bought a Boss Ds-1 because I needed a distortion pedal but barely had any money. I'm ready to upgrade and I was wondering about the difference between an overdrive and a distortion pedal.

Now I know the basic difference, the overdrive is more for a "boost" and a distortion pedal can be run alone.

I understand that, but I've been looking at the Ibanez TS-9 which is technically an overdrive and it seems to have a nice sound on it's own. I'd be running it through a Roland JC 120, which is a clean amp. I don't really play metal but I still want a versatile pedal. Should I get a true distortion pedal or will the TS-9 be enough for rock-hard rock and everything in between.

If I should, what's a good distortion pedal that's extremely versatile. In my case that is a key word since I play a lot of different styles.

Thanks!
Edit: Also my current budget is around $100. A little higher is ok, but generally $100.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Last edited by Lugnaz987 at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by stykerwolf
overdrive = distortion
same thing, different words.

I never found the TS series of pedals to get that much into hard rock, how high gain are we talking? Motorhead? The Who? ACDC?

On terms of style I basically want a pedal that can go from the blues to punk and mostly anything in between. I would say I would like it to be with a relatively high gain but not like Thrash and Death metal type distortion.

Last edited by Lugnaz987 at Nov 29, 2011,
The tubescreamer isn't going to get you that on a JC. You need a distortion pedal like a Metal Muff. That is about the only thing that will get you into metal territory for $100. The problem with this though is that I doubt the Metal Muff will get you blues or rock tones.
Well getting into metal isn't that big of a deal. I'd rather have something more well rounded that can do blues, rock, hard rock and like punk. I'm not a fan of most "metal" distortion pedals that sound super compressed and almost digital sounding.

Yeah haha, I noticed that and was like , "that's a little confusing"..

trust me, you dont need a new distortion pedal. i play everythin from blues and classic stuff, to thrash metal and death metal, and the ds-1 works wonderfully. i went through many " metal pedals" they were all ok, but the problem with them was that they cannot stand out when playing with a band. they blend too well. this pedal can do it all from bluesy stuff to metal.
just mess with the tone knob on the pedal, and you eq on your amp
Last edited by shredder1955 at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
How about a Catalinbread DLS?

That's looking a little pricey. I'm trying to stay close to $100.

Quote by shredder1955
trust me, you dont need a new distortion pedal. i play alot of thrash metal and death metal, and the ds-1 works wonderfully. i went through many " metal pedals" they were all ok, but the problem with them was that they cannot stand out when playing with a band. they blend too well.
it is such a great pedal for thrash metal because it can be very gritty, but you can also make it heavy. try messing with the tone knob on the pedal, and messing with your eq on the amp

Well my problem with the DS-1 is that once the Tone knob goes past the 12 o'clock spot it just starts to sound so thin and , for lack of a better word, bad. I've messed with the knobs and I'm just not satisfied with its range. I just don't like the sound/capabilities and I'm looking for something more versatile.

Overdrive refers to emulating a sound like getting a bit of dirt out of a cranked amp, definately not something that will get you into metal or hard rock territory.

Distortion is like adding a channel to your amp, brings out much more gain then an overdrive

this is what they are refered to in the market of pedals. no one get technical with me....ive dealt with this thread before -_-
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
if you want your amp to sound like shit buy a metal zone.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
you could try looking into mxr pedals. like the distortion + or the distortion 3. or even something like the boss blues driver, or the mxr zakk wylde overdrive. try listening to different pedals on youtube.
So what about a pedal like the Boss OS-2 ? It claims to be able to cover ground in both ends of the extreme. Does anyone have any experience with that pedal, or things like it?
Are they worth looking into?

Quote by leigh596
if you want your amp to sound like shit buy a metal zone.

Nobody mentioned that pedal at all.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Lugnaz987
Well my problem with the DS-1 is that once the Tone knob goes past the 12 o'clock spot it just starts to sound so thin

Just pointing out, the DS1 is pretty bright so just....keep the tone low?

I quite like the Fulltone OCD but I'm not sure if that's going to get you into hard rock/punk. I like a bit less gain than "normal" for all my dirty tones anyway
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Yeah that's the thing, I like a bit less gain if I'm playing blues or rock. I like a warmer sound, but if I'm playing hard rock/punk I like something that cuts through a little more.. grittier and dirtier.

IT sounds to me like you're looking for this:

DigiTech Hardwire SC-2

If that's not exactly what you want, check out the other pedals in the Hardwire series. I have the TL-2 (Metal Distortion) and I can assure you that you don't want it, because it's not meant for really anything but metal. You can get some lower-gain sounds from it be turning the gain down, rolling off guitar volume, or both, but it's still got a Metal voicing to it.

This entire series of pedals is a steal, as they are all True-Bypass, and great quality pedals. The SC-2 seems to be right up your alley, as it's not voiced for metal, but more for rock/hard rock. These pedals respond really well to rolling off the volume on your guitar, which reduces the amount of gain and cleans up the sound a bit in tube amps AND these pedals. They're really your best option for the price.

If you were wanting to spend a little more, you can't go wrong with Blackstar Pedals either, but they're a bit our of your price range.
Quote by Lugnaz987
So what about a pedal like the Boss OS-2 ? It claims to be able to cover ground in both ends of the extreme. Does anyone have any experience with that pedal, or things like it?
Are they worth looking into?

The OS-2 definitely has more range than the DS-1, sounds a bit better too, IMHO. But you could also possibly look into modding the DS-1 you already have. Just a thought.... I'd recommend taking a look at the Ibanez answer to distortion, but IIRC it was a fair bit over $100.00 for the JD-9. Boss makes the Blues Driver, as well as a plethora of other distortion pedals and I think most are closer to that price range. I like the blues driver and the MD-2 for their deeper tone.
After reading your original post and given your budget and taste in music have you tried the Pro Co Rat? It is a distortion pedal but not a super high gain distortion pedal. It will do rock/punk quit well. It is true bypass and the graphics glow in the dark should you play gigs. Here is a link to the page with extra info: http://www.procosound.com/effects-devices/rat2 they sell for around 80 + whatever for postage.

EDIT: Spelling and grammar.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by ibanart300
After reading your original post and given your budget and taste in music have you tried the Pro Co Rat? It is a distortion pedal but not a super high gain distortion pedal. It will do rock/punk quit well. It is true bypass and the graphics glow in the dark should you play gigs. Here is a link to the page with extra info: http://www.procosound.com/effects-devices/rat2 they sell for around 80 + whatever for postage.

EDIT: Spelling and grammar.

Alright . Will definitely look into that. I'm about to make a list of all these pedals mentioned and go to guitar center to try em out.