How's the tone of the basswood of an Ibanez RG?

I hear the tone is pretty thin.

Same question for the mahogany S series? How thick is the tone?

I like a lot of lead playing and I enjoy a nice watery neck pickup tone, but I also like harsh metal rhythm guitar tone. So how is the tone on these guitars?

Just so you know, I have a Roland Cube as my amp.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Basswood can sound immense. Mahogany can sound thin and cheap.

Depends on the quality of the wood.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
This probably differs on an RG, but my JS1200 is basswood and the tone is great. It's really balanced and I can get either of the tones you mentioned, but I'm running through a completely different amp and I've never played through a Cube.

Basswood is a wood that generally gets a lot of crap from people, but when higher quality basswood is involved (as is the case with any wood) I've found it to be very good.

What model of RG is this?
Rg350DXZ/370DXZ for basswood and S420 for mahogany.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Nov 29, 2011,
If I were you, I'd save up for a better amp.

I like Roland drums and keyboards, but you can get a lot more for the money with other brands when it comes to amplification. The Cube is decent for a solid state amp, but it can't compare with tube amps in the $600 up range.
Having never played either, I couldn't give you a great opinion, but in my experience I've found mahogany to be better than basswood, generally speaking, on less expensive models.
Quote by Woffelz
Rg350DXZ/370DXZ for basswood and S420 for basswood.

Go on ebay and buy a real ibanez
rg550/570 s540 etc
both of those are pretty good guitars at the medium price range
youre going to have to try them out to see if you like them

although you do know the S is 500 dollars while the rg is about 350 right?
not sure if that would infuence your desitipon or not
Quote by Tom 1.0
Basswood can sound immense. Mahogany can sound thin and cheap.

Depends on the quality of the wood.

+1

i'd also say that, on a bolt-on superstrat with a recessed trem, the body wood's not going to make as much of a difference as on some other guitars.

Not to say it'll make no difference, but yeah.

EDIT: +1 to getting a prestige or older mij ibanez
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Keep in mind the an S is really thin, has a thin neck, and a trem. It's not very thick at all. Neither is an RG. They do sound different but I would say they're equal when it comes to thickness. The main difference I find is that the S is throatier while the RG is much smoother. If you want a thick Ibanez, look into an RGA. The FR is pretty thick too but it's fairly bright.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Keep in mind the an S is really thin, has a thin neck, and a trem. It's not very thick at all.

Yeah thats kinda the point...
Also earlier MIJ S's are thinner too. The newer ones ate a few too many cheeseburgers.