Looking for a quality and affordable single channel amp (combo). There arent many that arent boutique.

I looked at the Two Rock single channel studio combo but its like $2800. Thats a great amp
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
budget? style of music? bedroom/jamming/gigging?geez come on people we can't read your mind
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by AcousticMirror
why's it have to be single channel?

because it seems that when you have a quality single channel amp, it sounds better than a quality 2 channel amp. i already have a couple 2 channel amps, looking for something a little different than what i usually use.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by InanezGuitars44
budget? style of music? bedroom/jamming/gigging?geez come on people we can't read your mind

if budget wasnt an issue, i would already have the Two Rock studio. a grand or less preferably.

style ranges from "dirty" blues, "classic sounding" rock and anything inbetween.
not looking for a metal amp (obviously with a single channel amp)
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
stretch the budget a little and get one of these. ahhh

http://www.morganamps.com/amps/ac20/ac20.php
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by madh4ttr
because it seems that when you have a quality single channel amp, it sounds better than a quality 2 channel amp. i already have a couple 2 channel amps, looking for something a little different than what i usually use.

That's very subjective, but I'd love to hear some examples. Personally I can't think of a single channel amp which I prefer the sound of over any of the multi channel amps I've got.

Back to your original question I think between Fender, Vox, Hiwatt and the few single channel Marshalls out there the market is pretty well covered.

If we're talking boutique then I'd say Two Rock is a fairly poor example. Those suckers are expensive. Stupidly expensive. Don't get me wrong, they're great amps, but I don't believe they're worth anything near what's being charged for them.

You're betting off looking into Victoria, Dr Z, Buddah, Goodsell, or the million of companies that clone old Marshalls.
The Bogner Barcelona would work. It goes for $1250 I think in a head and $1500 combo. 40/20 watt clean with volume, gain, bass, treble, a mid select, 6CA tubes, and a pull bright/gain. Very simple. I've been considering picking it up after a test drive. I'm interested after playing the Brixton which is a high gain amp out of the same line. The tone was TOTALLY inspiring!
wut the wut. that kit doesn't even have a predrilled board for?

more like a hey we put together everything for you now pay us extra kit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
It'd be all marked out. They even have an instruction video. You and I would do our own boards but for somebody that's never done it at least you know everything is the right size and stuff. It's a pretty good price anyway. Do you recognise the trannies?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Soldano Avenger or Hot Rod can be had for a grand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Id suggest the Port City Pearl but it's a bit above your budget still. Maybe a used one wouldnt be.

As far as the advantages of a single-channel amp, it makes some sense if one intends to be running a pedalboard and rely on pedals for dirt, while getting as pristine and basic of a sound as possible on the amp end as a starting point to build from.

There are also quite a few amps out there that might be seen as having a good clean channel but a not so good dirt channel, so the 2nd channel ends up being ignored and hence pointless.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
It'd be all marked out. They even have an instruction video. You and I would do our own boards but for somebody that's never done it at least you know everything is the right size and stuff. It's a pretty good price anyway. Do you recognise the trannies?

classictones.
Yep. They seem pretty good. I like the ones I've been getting. Not the most expensive of trannies but that's a pretty decent price with the cabinet nonetheless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vintage.....Modern....

all u have to do is keep it on high dynamic range and roll ur guitar volume
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
the new DV Mark amps looks SWEET. ive been looking hard at athe little 40. seems quality, autobias and ability to take any tubes, class A single channel with pentode/triode and power soak built in.

0.5 - 15 watts or 1 - 40 watts. el34s or 6l6s your choice. amazing. about 700 bucks.
Quote by ikey_
the new DV Mark amps looks SWEET. ive been looking hard at athe little 40. seems quality, autobias and ability to take any tubes, class A single channel with pentode/triode and power soak built in.

0.5 - 15 watts or 1 - 40 watts. el34s or 6l6s your choice. amazing. about 700 bucks.

yeah, they look interesting
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473967
I think this one was released last night. The Jackson Ampworks Nova. I have tested the Britain and Atlantic from Jackson and they were mind blowing! I expect this to be no exception. 1 channel runs 12ax7s and EL84s, has a volume and tone nob, 18 watts, ohm select and that's about it. The info on the page said it was engineered to offer cleans up to about 2 o'clock (around 7 or 8 volume). Its a little more affordable too! I can't wait to hear this thing!

http://www.jacksonampworks.com/products/amplifiers/nova/
Quote by ikey_

Too bad DV Mark is a horrible name IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I thought the same thing!

for some reason its like "DV Mark? Oh, must be next to the crates and ravens"

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
lots of great suggestions. too many amps, too little time, lol.

not trying to be vague, just asked a simple question on suggestions for single channel amps, something Im looking to buy. Sound wise, Im looking for a Keith Richards, SRV, Santana, Jimmy Page, type tone (if you can understand where Im headin with it). Not looking for alot of gain out of the amp, just a nice clean with moderate gain that will sound great with an od pedal.

Looking for a combo (12") and not looking on spending more than about $1500. There will be some gigging but mostly will be just used for bedroom (or garage band practice).

Hopefully that clears it up some on what im looking for
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Good?Affordable?Single channel combo? JCA2112RC.

ive seen them, never really heard them or looked at them. are they really worth a shit??
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Well, they do sound good. Nice littles amps. They are worth the shit, and officially my next amp.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Nov 30, 2011,
Dr. Z.

Boom. done. many options under 1500, boutique, top notch quality and offer about the best rock/hard rock tone out there. Class A, and cant get much more simple (some only have 2 knobs). most are avaialble in combos.

all you need is a solid OD pedals and your in dirty blues heaven.

DV Mark -well, not the best name. but its different (huge plus form me, i like different, i like innovation and entreprenuership, and i like unique tone, not just standard fender. i swear if i see another fender amp...(not that they are bad, but i just dont think people shop anymore)

but the features they are offering for a semi boutique / mid grade amp is stagering. plus, most people are stressing crazy channels and bells and wistles. i want an amp dripping with class A tube tone and ultimate control of power. this does it all from 0.5 watts to 40.

oh yeah, auto bias and option for multiple types of tubes. its a dream.

i have been waiting for an amp to give me that forabout 1 year of searching. im pretty sure its the only one on the market out of all companies.
DR Z Maz 38 is pretty bitchin. At least the one I played. Same with the Rivera Clubster and Cornford Harlequin.

^ for those reasons I really dig the Egnater Renegade. 6L6s on one channel and EL34s on the other at the same time? You kidding me? Sign me up. And you can put whatever damn power tubes in there you want.
i DID like egnater, but im getting turned off by a lot of things.

1 - i like a simple concept. i dont like amps with a million knobs. they all MUST effect something, and i they are not needed, they are probably just negatively affecting the signal. that being said, if i falu the function, sure load me up on knobs.

ive been checking out egnaters. the tube knobs and the wattage knobs really do not seem to have drastic effects. even in person. tihs greatly disturbs me. those are the 2 biggest selling points for me and they seem really do ntohing. i watched a guy demoing a renegade in GC and we turned the tube knob with VERY VERY VERY slight tonal change. disapointing.

not to mention - your affecting tubes, bias, and wattage. essential functions to the circuitry and sound. if they are not doing anything, get they out of the amps.

on the flip side - even from a streamed video online you can hear drastic differences in the tone and headroon of the V mark wattage controls. this tell me the circuit is designed better. im sure the tonal change in person is more drastic then online. this instils confifdence in me.

egnaters are slowly falling of my list. i like the price, features, amp layout, tone, etc. However there are others that match them that i am deeming more suitable for my opinions and needs.

perfect example - dr. Z. some amps have a volume and tone. and when you move them, you know it. they work. 100% clean and essential. and nomatter how you do it, the amp pretty much always sounds good.
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 4, 2011,
the tube tone knobs really don't do much unless you are cranking the amp.

the wattage knobs make a pretty big difference i thought.

if you set the wattage knob to the lowest crank the amp and then turn the tube tone knobs you should be able to hear a pretty huge difference.