Well, I started jamming with this dude I knew from a while back. He's a pretty solid drummer but its a bit of a sketchy situation. Let me elaborate:

I haven't seen/heard from the dude in something like 3 years, I forget exactly. Last time we spoke, I was headed over to jam with him, he calls me up to cancel literally last minute. I was like a minute from being there and he's just like "Dude, I can't make it. We'll see about tomorrow." Kinda pissed me off, gasoline was just as outrageous back then as it is now so yeah... Then just never heard anything else from the dude.

Until last week at like 2am on Black Friday. I work at Sheetz and happened to be running the cash register when he stumbles in completely hammered with his new girlfriend and a few of his buddies. We chat a little and exchange numbers again...

We got around to jamming yesterday. It was okay, I thought we sounded pretty good together but it wasn't a total mesh. We're at slightly different ends of the musical gene pool. I like Megadeth and Metallica, as well as some Thrash such as Lamb of God and a little bit of Metalcore but not that much. Basically a pretty broad Metal middle-ground between Hair Metal and Death/Black. But, one thing I love to do is branch out and try different styles of music. I don't always pick them up ultra-fast or love them to death but its fun to experiment and feel around as far as playing new music.

This drummer likes more Metalcore-focused things. Atleast I guess that's the appropriate genre. Bands like Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, that sort've style bands, and he tells me he picked up a taste for Hard Rock in a college band he was in for a while.

Well, that sounded fine by me. I don't know much Hard Rock but I'm pretty confident in my playing so I figured it would be a fun dabble, possibly become something cool, since Hard Rock seems to be a pretty widely accepted/enjoyed style of music. Fits in the bar scene (which is almost the only option around here) and such, so cool.

Then we got to playing... First, neither of us brought songs. One thing we heartily agree on is its more fun to play your own music than some one elses. So, I fired off a few riffs of Tornado of Souls to warm up and then just improv'd a couple riffs sort've in that general style. His face kinda twisted up and he said he liked it but that it was too fast. I could see that, Megadeth can be difficult so... I lowered tempo and moved on to simple powerchord-fueled jam at a chipper tempo. He complained then that it was in a weird time and I was like

So then, we deduced he didn't like a lot of phrasing and that it confused him when playing along with a guitar. I was still but I'm not hard to get along with musically. Ended up downtuning from E Standard to Dropped D, and chugging open strums, at which point he was happy. So I started chugging out pump riffs, basically, and we wrote a verse, a breakdown-ish thing, and an outro for a song. I thought it was alright, a little boring on my part but he loved it enough to record it. He also claims to know this bassist who might be interested and during our smoke breaks, talked very seriously about trying to start up a gigging band.

Now, there was a point a while back when I heartily enjoyed chugging away with the opens. Now it kinda bores me but I let it slide cause I suppose we'll find some middle ground where I can have fun parts to play without running him to death or falling asleep myself. But my biggest question is... Does he suck? I mean, according to him he's been playing for 5 - 6 years, around the same amount of time I've been playing guitar. He keeps time well enough for just jamming, but his timing can wander a little here and there. Also, at times he gets a tad sloppy with the beat, especially if I sustain for a bar or two before we begin the next segment of a song.

He's also not the most reliable person, like today, we made plans last night to jam today sometime before/after my college classes. I call him up today, my stuff all packed up, and I'm ready to jam. He says he has stuff to do that he forgot about, maybe later. I wasn't too upset over that, my girlfriend wants to go out tonight and all so no big deal. Not crazy about lugging my gear around all day, but stuff happens... If it becomes a regular occurence, I might not be so content.

But... His home situation is a bit sketch as well. He drives a 2005 Mustang GT. I'm a little jealous there, that's the car I wanted really bad back when I was 16 or so and looking for a car. Couldn't afford it, no big deal, got an older model GT. But I asked him a little bit about it and he claimed he worked at a Ford dealership and grabbed it for $1400 with 40k original miles. That was a big red flag that's he not completely truthful, those cars rack in the dough, like $20,000 with more miles on eBay. I can see an employee discount but no company just gives stuff like that away...

And then his home situation. His girlfriend is like 10 years older than him and has a 7 year-old daughter and they live in a crummy 2 bed 1 bath in a rundown culdesac. The little girl runs rampant through the house, destroys shit, makes a mess and his girlfriend is just a bitch factory. Which really makes me ask, where did that car come from? So I suspect just a touch he might be dealing, I hate to think that but... The suspicion is definitely there.

So...

tl;dr drummer I met years ago reappeared wanting to start a band. Keeps time mildly choppily, gets lazy with drumming during transitions mid-song. He's also sporadically unreliable. Has a really nice car but a shoddy home and horribly annoying/cramped home environment to practice in. Mild suspicions he may be dealing drugs. Need opinions on the situation and suggestions for a next move...

Warden: There is no moral orders as pure as this storm.
There's no moral order at all.
There's just this:
Can my violence conquer yours?

-Shutter Island
If you're not comfortable with the people you're jamming with then you absolutely shouldn't start a band with them, or jam with that for that matter.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by colddayinthesun
my guitarist thinks im a drug dealer cause i drive a mustang too

Haha, no offense man but he's on unemployment and has this car, an iPhone, a $6,000 drumset, loads of music equipment and like six brand-new laptops. It's just a little... unbelievable.

There's just this:

-Shutter Island
Quote by RealGuitarHero
If you're not comfortable with the people you're jamming with then you absolutely shouldn't start a band with them, or jam with that for that matter.

^ That.

It's not like you're being forced to play with him amirite? Sounds like you've made your mind up already anyway.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
^ That.

It's not like you're being forced to play with him amirite? Sounds like you've made your mind up already anyway.

Yeah... I dunno really. I have trouble finding folks to play music with in the first place, whether it be the scene is shit, nobody likes what I like, what have you... And its not that I'm all that uncomfortable with the dude, just a little cautious. I was hoping somebody could write in here with an excellent reason to just give a little time and see what happens. Naive I suppose...

There's just this:

-Shutter Island
If he is dealing,I would be very weary about that.That could put you in a possible bad situation someday(with him,pulled over,drugs in car,you both go to jail)bad!!!I have a good friend I jam with,but we are friends also besides the jamming.My opinion is to tread carefully.
There are a few ways you could play this.

One way is you stay with him because you cannot find another drummer.

Second is you kick him out to avoid being involved with his possible criminal activities, which is safer in the long run. Because if he really is and you get dragged into it, there goes a huge chance at a band.

Third, you take up hard drugs and play Nirvana songs.
Quote by CraZyB0y
Haha, no offense man but he's on unemployment and has this car, an iPhone, a $6,000 drumset, loads of music equipment and like six brand-new laptops. It's just a little... unbelievable.

sounds like he can pay for studio time and let him know you need a new guitar too
Quote by RockRolla
If he is dealing,I would be very weary about that.That could put you in a possible bad situation someday(with him,pulled over,drugs in car,you both go to jail)bad!!!I have a good friend I jam with,but we are friends also besides the jamming.My opinion is to tread carefully.

Thanks, I definitely will. I'm about one "unannounced visitor who gets briefly ushered into the next room before immediately being shown out" away from saying fvck it.

And I'd never ride in the car with the dude, he drives terribly Bottomed out that big GT whilst leading me to his house cause he cut a corner through a low-income housing development. I was like

There's just this:

-Shutter Island
Quote by colddayinthesun
sounds like he can pay for studio time and let him know you need a new guitar too

I like you, help me pick out a new one.

EDIT: Whoops, double-post.

There's just this:

-Shutter Island
Last edited by CraZyB0y at Nov 29, 2011,
I'm all for not making judgements on my workmates lives, and what decisions they make. The only questions here is "can they do the job"?

So if we ONLY focused on the above question we're left with these issues:

1. He's unreliable.

2. His skill level is not at where you want it to be.

With these two, especially the first, I would say forget jamming with him. At this early stage in the "band life", if he's this dedicated, it'll only get worse from now on. A lot of people forget that reliability is the number one asset of any worker in a job - if they don't show up or can't complete the job within an acceptable timeframe, it doesn't matter how good they are at it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by CraZyB0y
he stumbles in completely hammered

Heh. Typical drummer.

If you don't know any other drummers you might as well just keep playing with him. Maybe you guys will both get tighter the more you play together. Or maybe not. Whatever, just play!
Agree with Alan- what he does outside music is not anyones business really...until they are affected by it.

To play devils advocate- is it maybe your timing\rhythm that is no good?
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Last edited by 91RG350 at Nov 29, 2011,
You know that he is dandy, but also with him, if it is because you love, so bound to be a tragedy. But most people just not willing to, want to overflowing self-confidence and challenge. You think, charge so much strength, necessary? Life is so short, why bother. In addition to leave him, you can abandon him.R4 3DS
Quote by 91RG350
Agree with Alan- what he does outside music is not anyones business really...until they are affected by it.

To play devils advocate- is it maybe your timing\rhythm that is no good?

Also agree with Alan, and I'm typically not one to judge but it just wasn't working. I wasn't comfortable in our jam space, we weren't clicking all that great musically (IMO. He thought it was fantastic though) and after I got to analyzing my situation in-depth, I found myself reluctant to even risk the benefit of the doubt. Ended up canning the dude, I'll find somebody else to play music with.

And I suppose it could've been my rhythm/timing that was wonky, as I said its tough finding people around here and I haven't played along with some one else in a while... but he's got this mentality that every time we sit down, we need to be writing a song and thus we ended up playing the same verse-chorus-verse progression a fair number of times. The only thing consistent I noticed about his playing was that it was different every time.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, dudes. Much appreciated

There's just this:

-Shutter Island
I would suggest just keeping it casual with him. A friend to jam with, nothing more.
epic7734