in the market for a new amp and right now these are the two contenders. i'm looking for a very tight, but very high gain amp for around $500.

jca22h
pro's: based off of soldano hot rod, lots of nice gain, sounds pretty tight from demos I've watched
con's: does anyone know if there is a clean channel? from what i've seen its just crunch and super high gain as the 2 channels

jca50h
pro's: 50w, lots of headroom, has a clean channel that sounds pretty good
con's: is the gain as much as the jca22?

wat do you think?
if you can afford the 50 get the 50.

the 50 combo isn't the same as the 50 head.

it's a different amp.

edit: whoops...

they have 2 different 50 watt combos now.

one is the same as the 50 head.

ya grab the 50 if you can afford it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror
if you can afford the 50 get the 50.

the 50 combo isn't the same as the 50 head.

it's a different amp.

edit: whoops...

they have 2 different 50 watt combos now.

one is the same as the 50 head.

ya grab the 50 if you can afford it.

which combo should i go with? again, i'd like to stay around $500 or less. and will the 50w combo be able to achieve the gain i'm looking for?
yeah. they are all the same circuit except the 100hdm.

The 1x12 50 watt combo is the one you want for high gain if you have to get a combo. The 2x12 is a diff amp.
Quote by AcousticMirror
yeah. they are all the same circuit except the 100hdm.

Wut? Please explain. I had a thread on the difference between the 100h and the 100hdm a while back and got no wind of this. This could be a game changer...
Quote by Blktiger0
Wut? Please explain. I had a thread on the difference between the 100h and the 100hdm a while back and got no wind of this. This could be a game changer...
People have tried to tell me that they are different, but as far as I am aware, and according to Jet City themselves, it's the same damn thing as the JCA100h except it has a half-power switch and a depth mod, and it also has a metal grill which makes it look less like a toy and more like a professional amplifier.

The depth mod is excellent, but the half power switch is useless if you are playing heavier metal and get 90% of your gain from the preamp, and can be accomplished the same way by just pulling out the 2 center 6l6's. Just be respective of ohm impedances changes. You can also buy replacement grills like I did, but trust me: it is HELL getting it on. They ship only the grille, and that's it. No screws, no instructions, no logo attachment, and you have to drill the holes in the casing yourself. Fucking bullshit. Still worth it, though. It now looks like a professional amplifer that you would see onstage at a metal concert, as opposed to a toy on a shelf in Toys 'r Us.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
People have tried to tell me that they are different, but as far as I am aware, and according to Jet City themselves, it's the same damn thing as the JCA100h except it has a half-power switch and a depth mod, and it also has a metal grill which makes it look less like a toy and more like a professional amplifier.

The depth mod is excellent, but the half power switch is useless if you are playing heavier metal and get 90% of your gain from the preamp, and can be accomplished the same way by just pulling out the 2 center 6l6's. Just be respective of ohm impedances changes. You can also buy replacement grills like I did, but trust me: it is HELL getting it on. They ship only the grille, and that's it. No screws, no instructions, no logo attachment, and you have to drill the holes in the casing yourself. Fucking bullshit. Still worth it, though. It now looks like a professional amplifer that you would see onstage at a metal concert, as opposed to a toy on a shelf in Toys 'r Us.

If Acoustic Mirror says it's different, you can bet your candy ass that it is. He knows his shit, I just want more information about the whole thing.
the 50 will have more clean headroom, and deeper bass response
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the hdm has the depth mod on it.

that changes the sound quite a bit.

the 50 combo with reverb is has 2 channels with 2 eq's and reverb.

that's it. the rest are all pretty similar.

Quote by AcousticMirror
the hdm has the depth mod on it.

that changes the sound quite a bit.

the 50 combo with reverb is has 2 channels with 2 eq's and reverb.

that's it. the rest are all pretty similar.

Ok, I thought you meant that it was an entirely different amp from the 100h and that worried me. I honestly wish the 100hdm had reverb, but I guess I'll deal with it
How tight of a bottom end are you looking for? If you're expecting 5150/6505 tightness you'd better look elsewhere. The 50/100 has a smooth & thick sound with a solid mid punch and a somewhat tight bottom end. I wouldn't recommend it for an exclusive modern metal amp, unless you're playing the likes of Mastodon or Southern Metal.

EDIT: The 50/100 doesn't really have a 'clean channel' per say. I have to dime the master and keep the pre under 2 to get something acceptably clean at stage volume on my 100. It has about as much pristine clean potential as a JCM800.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
I wouldn't recommend it for an exclusive modern metal amp, unless you're playing the likes of Mastodon or Southern Metal.
I strongly disagree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFCmRUHeKhQ

Gain a bit above 4 in that vid, no pedals.

And this:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ian_the_fox/music/play1056446

Gain BELOW 4, no pedals except in solo and chorus sections.

Both sound pretty metal to me, or I could just be high.

Quote by Flux'D
I have to dime the master and keep the pre under 2 to get something acceptably clean at stage volume on my 100. It has about as much pristine clean potential as a JCM800.

Also strongly disagree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo&feature=related

Yours must just hate you for some reason.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 2, 2011,
If TS is looking for a "very tight" high gain amp he's not gonna like the JCA, yes it does metal but it's not quite what TS is wanting I think. In the first video you can hear the lack of definition in your palm mutes, though it could be from the video quality as my 100 sounds a bit smoother than that and has more low end to it.

May I ask your settings on the clean clip, such as the post gain if you remember? It demonstrates the clean potential of the amp pretty accurately, it doesn't get "pristine cleans" and still has a bit of grit like a JCM. I mean it's totally passable and gets the job done, but it's not a great sounding clean voicing because it wasn't designed to be so. I've got an EMG-SA loaded strat and I haven't found a great clean setting yet with it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
If TS is looking for a "very tight" high gain amp he's not gonna like the JCA, yes it does metal but it's not quite what TS is wanting I think. In the first video you can hear the lack of definition in your palm mutes, though it could be from the video quality as my 100 sounds a bit smoother than that and has more low end to it.

May I ask your settings on the clean clip, such as the post gain if you remember? It demonstrates the clean potential of the amp pretty accurately, it doesn't get "pristine cleans" and still has a bit of grit like a JCM. I mean it's totally passable and gets the job done, but it's not a great sounding clean voicing because it wasn't designed to be so. I've got an EMG-SA loaded strat and I haven't found a great clean setting yet with it

what would you recommend i look at for about this price range? i think the reason i don't really want to look into the 6505 is that they just feel too... stereotypical of metal. i like tight, high gain, middy tone. and every time i've attempted to crank a 6505 to just loud enough to hear it at a guitar center, i get told to turn it down
Quote by andrerist
what would you recommend i look at for about this price range? i think the reason i don't really want to look into the 6505 is that they just feel too... stereotypical of metal. i like tight, high gain, middy tone. and every time i've attempted to crank a 6505 to just loud enough to hear it at a guitar center, i get told to turn it down
That's exactly why I don't own it.

Take a listen to my clips from above and see what you think of it, if it meets your "tightness" standards (I own the 100h, but it's the same OD circuit as the JCA5012c). If you don't like it, you could also look into some of Blackstar's stuff.

The JCA5012c and 6505+ in all honesty are probably the two best in the price range new if you are wanting to play metal. There's also the Vypyr Tube, but that's a modeler.

Quote by Flux'D
The EQ was most likely fairly balanced out, prescence probably at 6, and the preamp and master were set at I believe 2.5 and 4, respectively.

Of course I was using the middle single coil in that clip, which is a stock passive Fender pickup, while you are using actives which may be causing problems for you.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 2, 2011,
So, would you guys recommend the JCA100HDM for a sound similar to Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Lazarus A.D., Throwdown, Killswitch Engage, etc.? If not, what 100w (or more) head would you suggest for that sound?
Quote by Blktiger0
So, would you guys recommend the JCA100HDM for a sound similar to Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Lazarus A.D., Throwdown, Killswitch Engage, etc.? If not, what 100w (or more) head would you suggest for that sound?
You would be more than able to play those bands' style with it, but if you want a similar sound to them you would probably want to try something Mesa-ish. Perhaps a Carvin V3? You could try it, see what you think
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You would be more than able to play those bands' style with it, but if you want a similar sound to them you would probably want to try something Mesa-ish. Perhaps a Carvin V3? You could try it, see what you think

That's good enough for me. I don't want their exact sound, and I'm not really into Mesa's all that much. They're awesome amps, but just not my thing. If I WOULD get one, It would probably be a Road King. I'm pretty sure that amp does everything, including cook your breakfast if you leave some eggs on top of it in a skillet. I WOULD check out Carvin, but I don't like the concept of not trying them in person. Also, I'm going to be buying this amp in the next few days from zzounds because of their payment plan, so that eliminates Carvin :/

However, if the 100HDM can get in that genre without problems, it's fine for me
Quote by Blktiger0
However, if the 100HDM can get in that genre without problems, it's fine for me
It will definitely get into the genre excellently, but sound different. It's a great amp if you want your tone to be different from the typical 6505/Mesa sound that you hear everywhere (again, why I like mine).
Quote by Ian_the_fox
It will definitely get into the genre excellently, but sound different. It's a great amp if you want your tone to be different from the typical 6505/Mesa sound that you hear everywhere (again, why I like mine).

I just want to make sure that it'll get tight enough bass with plenty of definition. For example, is it more of a Zakk Wylde tone or a Metallica tone? Also, I plan on getting an MXR 10 band EQ at some point, which would help me shape it to my likings even more. As a boost, I plan on using my DigiTech Hardwire TL-2, which might tighten up the sound some as well.
Quote by Blktiger0
I just want to make sure that it'll get tight enough bass with plenty of definition. For example, is it more of a Zakk Wylde tone or a Metallica tone?
Not really; Soldano tone is really only comparable to...well, Soldano tone. Like right in between a Marshall and a Mesa. Some have complained that the bass isn't tight enough, but I've never been bothered by it. The boost will tighten it up but will take clarity from the sound, and I like clarity. Also that depth mod should do a wonder of things with the bass/low-mid response.

I have a clip on my profile ("Ass Inserta"; disregard the name, it's a serious track), but it doesn't really do it justice (my mixing/recording skills suck ATM). Here's a clip of the Soldano Hot Rod 100, which is what the Jet City is a copy of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8glIrZqlc
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Not really; Soldano tone is really only comparable to...well, Soldano tone. Like right in between a Marshall and a Mesa. Some have complained that the bass isn't tight enough, but I've never been bothered by it. The boost will tighten it up but will take clarity from the sound, and I like clarity. Also that depth mod should do a wonder of things with the bass/low-mid response.

I have a clip on my profile ("Ass Inserta"; disregard the name, it's a serious track), but it doesn't really do it justice (my mixing/recording skills suck ATM). Here's a clip of the Soldano Hot Rod 100, which is what the Jet City is a copy of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8glIrZqlc

That youtube clip has awesome tone. I can completely deal with that, and if I WOULD need it tighter, I can do some boosting or grab that 10 band eq. Have you noticed any noise problems at all with yours? I plan on getting an ISP decimator at some point, but I don't have the cash right now.
Quote by Blktiger0
Have you noticed any noise problems at all with yours? I plan on getting an ISP decimator at some point, but I don't have the cash right now.
None at all. This amp is surprisingly quiet. There's still a bit of hiss with really high gain but it's significantly less than other hi-gain amps, but it is not enough to cause a problem. I have an MXR Smartgate that's collecting dust from me not having to use it.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
None at all. This amp is surprisingly quiet. There's still a bit of hiss with really high gain but it's significantly less than other hi-gain amps, but it is not enough to cause a problem. I have an MXR Smartgate that's collecting dust from me not having to use it.

UG finally let me hear your mp3 and it sounds great as well. I don't really like the stereotypical sound of the 6505, and when I tried one of the combo versions, I wasn't really impressed. Granted, I couldn't crank it, but IMO if the amp doesn't at least sound decently impressive at low levels, increasing the volume isn't going to change that much. I think any amp worth it's salt should sound great at low volumes and higher volumes. Especially considering you aren't always going to be cranking the shit out of a 100w quarter stack.

The noise thing is great news. Have you boosted it or tried a wah through it? I know the other guitarist in my band can't even plug his wah in or his Rectoverb goes from basically quiet to Hiss Machine, and if he boosts it with his DS-1, it adds some noise as well. I use my wah a decent amount, and will probably be using my TL-2 for at least solo boosting. We both have the basic Crybaby that costs like $70. I can't remember the model number of the top of my head, though.