I recently purchased an Orange Thunder 30 head and a Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier (10/25 watt) head, so I decided to build a new cab. I plan on plugging one head to 2 speakers and the other two to 2 speakers.

I had 2 Celestion Greenbacks and bought 2 Eminence The Governor speakers, all of them 16ohm. I'll wire them in series to get 8 ohm per input. I might mix them up. If I find they don't mix well, I'll just get rid of the Greenbacks and get more Eminence.

The dimensions are 29" Wide x 31" Height x 15" deep, like an Orange PPC412, but the front will be different, similar to a Mesa Boogie cab.

I'll post some progress pics as I go along and update this original thread for the cost and links to places I bought the hardware from, in case someone wants to build a similar cab.

Please feel free to comment on how things could/should be done differently. I'm just a weekend warrior, though I've built a few cabs and head enclosures over the years.
Last edited by JackoMBA at Dec 10, 2011,
I started the build Sunday morning in my father's garage/shop. I cut the sides and built the box. I bought some good 3/4" plywood at Home Depot. One side is very clean with a maple top.

I like to use tape to keep the box held together while I screw the pieces together (used wood glue too). I didn't do any fancy dove tailing since I don't have the tools and the cab will likely just sit in my home studio.

I like to sink the screws in deep enough so it doesn't mess up the router bit when I round off the corners:

Here's how I traced the lines for the speaker cut-outs. The 12" speakers require 11.1" cut-outs. I drilled 2 holes in a piece of scrap wood; one for a nail to go through and one for the pencil. The two holes are 5 1/2" apart (and a bit more). It's a great way to get perfectly round lines:

Zoom zoom:

I wanted the front edges to be 1 1/4" wide like Mesa Boogie cabs. I thought I bought 1/2" plywood but I actally got 3/8" plywood (no biggie). Here's what that looks like:

After 4 hours of work, here's the cab so far:

Here's the interior (still need to add some extra bracing):

I wanted to get some more work done this week but I got a tooth pick sized splinter in my finger which got infected. Had to get my doc to split open my finger to dig out a piece that I couldn't get too. A few days on antibiotics and my finger should be in shape to work again. Haha.

- to be continued -
im gonna build a cab completely like this to mesa specs. how far in did you put your baffle?

i have only designed mine so far though

Heres mah thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498190
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Sweet! Looking forward to following your progress.

I'll measure the depth of the baffle tonight. It wasn't very scientific. Since I'm front mounting my speakers, I wanted to make sure I left enough room for the grill/cloth in front. I'll be attaching the front grill with velcro so I can easily remove the front if I want to record (easier to see the speakers and angle the mic properly).

I'll let you know.

Quote by travs2448
im gonna build a cab completely like this to mesa specs. how far in did you put your baffle?

i have only designed mine so far though

Heres mah thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498190
Sweet stuff man. lol looks like we are subbed to each other threads hah! i heard that its better to rear mount a closed back cab so its sealed better what is your take on this?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
So far, so good. I routed the edges with a 1 1/2" bit, installed the front and painted it black ...

I decided to replace the extra front lip, which was originally 1/2". I replaced it with 3/4" plywood. The front edges are now now 1 1/2" thick. I also decided to route it with a straight 45 degree bit, like the front of Orange cabs:

Here's the back so far:

I decided to go with back-mounting the speakers. I'll have to cut back on the side braces a bit.

Closer look at the bracing:

I'll probably add an extra brace in the middle like most 4x12 cabs, even thought I don't know what it's for. Extra stability, or to stop the back panel from vibrating?

Anyhoo, the tolex, grill cloth, and all the hardware have showed up. Hopefully, I can begin covering up that sucker tomorrow.

- to be continued -
Today I covered the cab in orange tolex and installed the corners and handles.

I ordered all of that good stuff from Mojotone.com .

First order of business: Cut the tolex.

Child Labor:

I then covered the wood and tolex with Lepage Pres-Tite contact cement. It's This Stuff. I love using it to apply tolex. It's solvent-free and it washes off your hands easily.

I apply it with a paint roller. I use a paint brush for tight places:
More child labor. Only one belt lashing for not staying between the lines.

Gettin' there:

I use this tool I made to smooth out the tolex and get rid of air bubbles or wrinkles:

I'm finally getting the hang of it (making corners that don't look like a train wreck):

Even if you screw up, you can cover it with metal corners - I used 3 legged corners for the front (front edge is 1 1/2" thick):

I used 2 legged corners with a lip in the back since the edge is only 3/4" thick:

That's it for tonight. Time for a few beers and a horror movie.

Next step:
Making a grill and covering it with this stuff I got from Mojotone. It's pretty close to Orange Grill Cloth.

- to be continued.
holy shite thats looking sexy man! you cant go wrong with orange tolex!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Wow. Great job with the tolex. It is a bitch in the corners!
Quote by R45VT
Wow. Great job with the tolex. It is a bitch in the corners!

Definitely the hardest part of building cabs. The metal corners really help hide screw ups, though.
Almost done!

Here it is with my Orange TH30 and Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier. I haven't played them much lately because of this build I'll be worth it though.

Tonight I installed casters that I got from Steamcomusic.com in Canada. These casters can be removed, similar to Mesa Boogie casters. I also installed some rubber feet in case I want the remove the casters for a more stable base.

I couldn't find any pics of what a grill looks like from the inside, so I cut this out of 1/2" plywood. I stapled the cloth to it and used black duct tape to cover it up. I was going to use velcro to secure it in place, but it's so tight (almost too tight) that it will stay in place unless I yank it out.

I made a my own crest/logo by printing it on photo paper, sticking it to a a piece of thick cardboard. I'll screw it in if I decide to keep it or do something else I only mounted it with duct tape for now.

I also mounted the speakers tonight:

All that is left to do is build the back plate of the cab, mount the jack plate, wire the sucker and hope it doesn't blow up.

- to be continued -
I'm done!

I built the center brace like this:

I finished the back cover/plate:

Drilled in the name tag:

Here it is with some of my favorite axes. The white cab is a 2x12 vertical cab that I built 2 years ago. The white head is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. I built the head enclosure last year and covered it with white croc print leather.

I wired the 16 ohm Eminence Governors in series (8 ohm total) and the two 16 ohm Green Backs in series too so I can compare both. It sounds killer. I can't wait to kick out the family and crank it !!!
Oops. Yes. I did wire them as parralel, not series. Too many much beers.

Quote by Boysie8
Amazing work man, you've got some real talent.

I thought parallel, not series, would halve the impedance (1/R=1/R1+1/R2, and all that stuff), but I may be wrong. I'm glad it sounds good though!