I've been playing guitar for close to 5 years, starting out learning classic rock and metal such as AC/DC, Sabbath, and Guns and Roses. Last summer, I turned into more of a blues guitarist. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Kenny Wayne Shepherd being my two big influences. I'm getting okay at improvising a decent solo, but I can't really write blues guitar riffs. I know the 12 bar blues, and I know the blues scale, but every riff I play (thinking its original) ends up sounding a lot like something SRV or KWS have played. What are some things I can do to write more original blues guitar riffs?
Go older school and newer school. ACDC, Sabbath and GNR all have a slightly blue influence. Clutch writes a lot of pentatonic stuff. Go listen to son house, howlin wolf, bb king, you know, old delta stuff. Listen to stuff like muddy waters and old chicago blues as well. I would also recommend expanding and listening to other styles of rock.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3xXlXSOKk
I feel the same when I listen to ABB.

jjbarnes has a pretty good idea with that. And listen to shit like jazz guys, like Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Dizzy Gilespie, etc... They are huge influences on guitarist, Jimi Hendrix is the one that comes to mind for me, he tried to sound like their horns sometimes.
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Last edited by rhcpjhlz at Nov 29, 2011,
Quote by rhcpjhlz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3xXlXSOKk
I feel the same when I listen to ABB.

jjbarnes has a pretty good idea with that. And listen to shit like jazz guys, like Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Dizzy Gilespie, etc... They are huge influences on guitarist, Jimi Hendrix is the one that comes to mind for me, he tried to sound like their horns sometimes.

Jazz is another great one! Wes Montgomery, James Blood Ulmer, Pat Metheny, really anything in that area.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
There are some theoretical concepts I could share that would provide an alternative to running the blues scale (and I do believe that restriction to blues-scale boxes is frequently part of the reason why people feel their blues playing is limited). That would first and foremost be the chord tone approach, and then expanding on that, and adding chromaticism.

However, I'm not sure I want to write a really long post explaining that right now. I did have a lesson on this site a few months ago that applies the chord tone approach + chromaticism to the 12 bar blues. I'm not sure if linking it would be a no-no for mods.

Jazz-blues definitely can be useful for you here, if you're interested in it. It can add a lot of chromaticism that will spice up your blues playing.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 30, 2011,
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've never really listened to Jazz, I'll check out a few of the names y'all suggested.
And jjbarnes, Howlin' Wolf actually originally wrote my all time favorite blues tune (although I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover) haha. I'm Leaving You (Commit a Crime) is a great song
Quote by Mainer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've never really listened to Jazz, I'll check out a few of the names y'all suggested.
And jjbarnes, Howlin' Wolf actually originally wrote my all time favorite blues tune (although I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover) haha. I'm Leaving You (Commit a Crime) is a great song

Yeah man! I love the old school blues. It can really bring life back into your playing, plus it has so much feeling.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb